So I want a new truck

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by critter783, Jul 8, 2009.

1. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

but the only cars I've ever purchased have been used company cars from GE and my current truck from my older brother. There wasn't any price negotiation on any of them. So I wanted to see what you guys think. There are a couple of dealers near here that have 2500HD Duramaxes for sale for $35k. Think it would be a waste of my time to walk in and offer them 28k for them? Could I get it cheaper maybe? I really have no idea, and with the economy being what it is, I'm hoping I can get a great deal on what I really want. Thoughts?

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Look up the invoice price and what they normally sell for new in your area. Go from there.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

check your weekend paper. many times you will see car/truck ads in there for cheap. it's tough to find them much cheaper than that tho. also, those cars are hard to find sometimes (only 1 on the lot) and many times a little more stripped down that your other models.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I've seen them go for around $32k... I'm not sure if you could really go a whole lot lower than that.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I've found that when it comes to HD pickups, you'll usually either find only ones in W/T trim or fully loaded LTZ/SLT models, and not more than a handful on dealer lots. You might have to order a truck if you're set on a BRAND NEW dmax.

Frankly I'd suggest looking for a 1-2 year old one with a few miles on it (50K or less) and see what kind of deal you can make. Not having to take the depreciation hit on a new one might just net you a killer deal, especially since those trucks are known to remain reliable well into the 2-300K mile range.

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I should clarify...there are two 08 trucks that I'm looking at that are nearly identical. One is a Chevy and one's a GMC. They both have less than 1500 miles on them, and they have similar trim packages. One is going for 35k and one for 36 iirc. What I'm really looking for advice on is where to come in first on an offer and how low you guys think they'll go. The price negotiations are what I'm completely clueless about.

I've been checking the classifieds and craigslist, but these damn things are kind of rare to find used. I guess people that buy them hold onto them for a while.

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

It's tough to say what you should offer them. I have found that you can usually get 10-15% off their sticker price without much haggling at all.

It's somewhat dependent on the dealer and how you already approached it.

How do you know the price of the vehicle? If it was an internet price (through their website), then chances are thats close to as low as it's going to go b/c internet shoppers are mostly concerned about price point they [dealer] wont scare them away with a ridiculously high price online.

If you found the price by walking through their lot and that was the sticker, then I would say you have quite a bit more wiggle room to work with.

Stick with purchase price talk and don't let them haggle you with payments (they will stack payments for up to 84 months in some cases). You can choose the term later after the purchase price is determined.

good luck with the sale, post pics when you are done :bigthumb:

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I have to agree with Blazinblazer on this. Going for something thats a year or two old with a few more miles will bring the price down quite a bit. Not to mention it takes 30-40-50,000 miles for those engines to fully break in.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

08s with less than 1500 miles? Are these dealer/exec demos still on MSO, or are they previously owned/titled with a GM Certified Used warranty? That could make a difference in terms of your wiggle room. Also, if they're not at the same dealership (one at a Chevy store, one at a BPG store) that could help your negotiations as well.

Playing the two dealers back and forth on price, telling them the Chevy vs. the GMC makes no difference to you, they'll have more motivation to move down on the price. GMC dealers always seem to pull the "Wouldn't you rather have the GMC since it's a more premium brand?" card every time I cross shop similar Chevy and GMC vehicles -- you just have to know not to fall into their trap.

With that said, and this is just personal bias on my part, I'd go for the GMC hands down over the Chevy... the looks of the GMC are FAR better (keeping in mind that I own an '08 GMC K1500 :mamoru:).

10. bursty

bursty New Member

Fuck! $35k for an 08 Duramax? Crew cab? Why the fuck cant I find deals like this around me :wtc: