So I want a bike....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cicada, May 29, 2004.

1. Cicada

Cicada Guest

where/how do i start?

and what's a good bike to start with? i'll most likely be buying new, unless I cna find a really good deal or a nice bike used. [i was looking at F3's and F4/i's today and i really like em, but im thinking it's a bit much for a first bike :dunno: )

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2004
  2. Cicada

Cicada Guest

shit, didnt see the sticky. disregard this. but any other info is appreciated.

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

Kawi Ninja 250cc is a very common beginner sportbike.

dont plan to keep it... get it cheap, find your groove and master the basics, then go get your brand new F4i after selling off the beginner bike.

or, get the F41, take it REALLY easy in a parking lot, buy a crash cage or save up to replace what you crunch. keep off the street and the speeds low until you can operate in all conditions without consciousness... cuz 95% of your attention should be focused on other drivers, not on remembering the shift pattern. if you're still noob at it enough to have to think about what you're doing, you're not able to pay enough attention to hazards on the road.

i started on a Honda CBR 600F... today's 600cc class bikes are more powerful, but if you are mature enough to give yourself a LOT of time to practice in a safe environment first, then you dont necessarily have to start off with a baby step bike.

4. killteam54

killteam54 CBR600RR>*.sportbike

My first bike was a 200 Suzuki dual sport (street legal dirtbike) and it topped out at 55. It helped my learn how to interact with traffic without having to worry about the bike itself but I quickly upgraded to a 400cc Suzook Bandit. It had ten times more power. I got into the twisties with it and learned how to actually ride a bike on a curvy road. Now I have the CBR 600RR and couldn't be happier.

Start small and work your way up.