GUN So I wanna buy my very first shotgun.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AKing, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Which Shotty Do you recommand?

1. Mossberg 590

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Remington 870

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

Well I want to buy my very first gun overall but I want it to be a shotgun. Easily modifiable, and i plan to short barrel it doing the atf papers and the various documents that are needed. I just wanted to know which shotgun a majority of OT weapon owners would prefer. Before anyone asks or jump to conclusions

Yes i will seek training at the local range
    Yes i know someone who has filed out the papers and will help me do it

I know that mossberg and remington are thrown out here a couple of times but I don't know which specific models are preferred. I would appreciate it if some people can point me to the right direction.

Poll up. Meant to put 500 on the mossberg but oh well. Please post any advice that i should know. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Mossberg M590A1 is what I went with...if it's good enough for the US armed forces, I guess it's good enough for me. Other good boomsticks are the Remington 870 and Saiga 12. All three are reliable and have decent/huge aftermarkets.

3. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

Remington 870, or Mossberg 500. I think the Remingtons are better built and feel more solid, but they are also a little more expensive.

4. AKing

yeah im looking to buy one in the 400 range. I've actually held a Moss500 that my dad has had since the early 90's. Its not bad but is there a big diffrence to the 870 and 500?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

remington 870 is the standard of pump shotguns. Most rugged, ton of aftermarket parts, conventional safety.

I also really like the browning camp defender because of the load gate. It does not bite your thumb like the traditional lift gates do.

I see no purpose what so ever for the short barrel shotguns except for the concealability. Contrary to popular belief the lenght of the barrel does not have much if any effect of spread. That is done with chokes and even if you used spreader chokes your only looking at 1" spread per 3 yards.

Really for a defensive shotgun I think the sweet spot is an 18" barrel (with modified choke) and a 8 shell tube. This will give you the most flexability for slugs and buckshot and you'll have 8+1 shells to work with before a reload. With a short barrel shotgun your looking at 3+1 or 4+1 at most. Weak sauce.

I like the mod choke because I'm going to get more pellets on target out to 35 yards. You can run but your only going to die tired. With slugs I can take out engine blocks.

6. springy101

There is a lot more plastic on the Mossberg, and when I held it the pump had a lot of wriggle while the 870 had none. I also think the 870 looks nicer but it's all subjective.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Not pretty on the outside but this is one bad ass pump gun. My gunsmith opened it up for smoother feeding and the rails are stoned so the stroke feels like it's gliding on ice.

[​IMG]

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

On a 500? Because I don't see/feel any plastic on my 590 other than the stock forend that I replaced with a Surefire.

9. springy101

The 590 is way better than the 500 though, and a $100 or so more..

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Listen to yar. I get a little scared when I hear most people talking about modifying shotguns. I picture folding stocks, heat shields, and other garbage. Don't bolt too much crap on it until you've taken a few classes and see what you really want. http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

11. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I have a Mossberg 500. Used to have an 870. Prefer the 870 but both are fine home-defense weapons. Got my Mossberg for $215 after tax with a 26" and an 18" barrel.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Be very careful with your choice of stocks for a shotgun. Really I think the regular strait stock is the best for managing recoil. The pistol grip stocks (that means with stock not pistol grip only) are good for weak hand reloads. Those funky AR M4 type stocks on shotguns are mostly garbage. Many of them are in line and you can't get a proper cheek weld without beating the hell out of your cheek. I mentioned these 3 jar heads at the LEO 3 gun match that beat themselves till they quit on the gun.

Figure out if your going to do right or left hand reloads then choose either a strait stock (strong hand reload) or pistol grip stock (weak hand reload).

I should do a shotgun reload write up or video one day. Because I use the techloader sticks people don't be knowing I got finger loading kung fu also.

14. AKing

I don't plan to do a shit ton of stuff. By mod i mean like a light and hand stock. Thats about it. I just want the puriest, best, shotgun that OT can offer. Damn should make a poll now.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There's those warning bells again. By hand stock do you mean pistol grip shotgun like you see in movies?

[​IMG]

16. AKing

sort of. Again i gotta take classes first and still do some research. I'm only asking now so i know which one to get when i should have reliability. But this isn't going to be for skeet shooting, This is to have only in home.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Skeet, home defense, whatever, the only thing a pistol grip only shotgun is good for is looking cool. You sadly need to buy the entire gun, including the stock, for it to be worthwhile.

18. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

19. bursty

bursty New Member

20. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Go with the 870. I got mine used like new from a pawn shop for $175.