GUN So I turn 21 in a few months and I'll be in the market for a handgun. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Feb 3, 2007.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I'll also be moving out on my own to an area where crime/breakin is actually an issue. I mainly just want one around as a safety to protect my girlfriend and I, but if I'm going to spend that much money on something I might as well be able to have some fun with it at the range, too. :dunno:

I'd like to stay in the range of $400-500 (cheaper is fine, too!). I'm not too sure about any specific brand, but I'd like something fairly compact, reliable, easy to maintain, and with relatively cheap ammunition. Customization is also a plus. That said, I like the look of the Walther P99 and most of the XD handguns. :dunno:

Also, are there any websites around that I can sort of "shop" for pistols to get some general ideas of how much various guns cost?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Find a range that rents guns and rent as many as you can. What fits good in my hand and I like the controls of you might hate. I have a couple p99's though and like them alot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com

3. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

What should I buy?

To address this common question, most people want advice on a first handgun. So here is WMD's most often given suggestions.

You say:
    "I want a pistol. Not too expensive, but reliable and accurate. I will be doing range practice and will have it for home defense. I have [never shot a gun before or only shot some rifles infrequently]."

We say:
    Good choices for a semi-automatic pistol are plenty for less than $600. There are some exceptions, but for good quality, you should budget at least $400-500 for the pistol itself. There is nothing wrong with buying used, but you should take a friend who knows guns or trust your gun dealer to know that you don't get a ragged on beater or a lemon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two most important things you should do when buying a handgun are:

- Invest in safety courses to learn how to safely handle a pistol. Info is commonly available at your local gunshop or police department.

- Go out to a gun store and handle the guns you're considering, and it's always recommended that you rent your choices from a range or borrow from a friend to try shooting them BEFORE buying. Several hundred dollars is a good chunk of change to throw down on one little piece of metal, there's no reason you shouldn't be confident your choice is right for you. Everyone's hands are different, what i am comfortable with you may not even be able to hold properly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, guns come in different calibers, or bullet sizes. The most popular choices for general purpose handguns currently are 9x19mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG. For your purposes, any of these with decent quality ammuniton will do well.

There is a never-ending, Ford vs. Chevy, Blonde vs. Brunette, Import vs. Domestic argument among experienced shooters regarding which caliber is "best". The best caliber is the one YOU SHOOT BEST WITH. In the real world, 100% hits with your Peashooter is infinitely better that 90% hits with your Asskicker Special Ops Turbo Magnum Eagle 9000.

Most people find that when they are just learning, the 9mm offers good results with lower recoil "kick" compared to the other choices. To boot, good practice ammo is available cheaply at almost any Walmart. 9mm is the caliber we commonly recommend if you have little or no handgun experience. It will grow with you as you gain experience, and you can always sell your gun later if you want to "move up".

In our price range and caliber choice, you can find the following excellent choices, though this list is not all-inclusive. Preference is all yours:

-Glock 17
    -Springfield XD
    -Beretta 92
    -S&W 5906
    -Used Heckler & Koch USP
    -Used SIG Sauer P226
    -Ruger P-series
    -Walther P99
    -CZ 75 or 85
    -sigPRO SP2009

If you would like something that is big enough to handle but small enough that you can carry concealed when you get your carry permit:

-Glock 19
    -Springfield XD
    -Used Heckler & Koch USP Compact
    -Used SIG Sauer P228 or P229

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Glock 19. 9mm is cheap to shoot compared to larger calibers. The XD's are pretty decent too.

5. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P. It's in your price range, offered in 9mm, .40, .45 and soon to be .357 (I think). I love the gun, and haven't had a single problem. It is a polymer and I feel it naturally points better than the XD did (sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm drunk).

www.smith-wesson.com should be on the front page.

6. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

g19 seems like what you are looking for. glock is a great value, very reliable, user friendly. its in the price range you are looking for, seems like 9mm is def. the caliber you will find the most practicality out of.... overall i think a g19 is an excellent first gun.

edit: i guess its just common sense for me... go to a local range, rent every gun you can, and figure out the basics of shooting. if you can have someone introduce you, it is an excellent choice. try different guns, different sizes, different calibers. shoot every gun you can. if there are people around you, ask for help if you need it, ask questions. ask the guy at the counter. ask the RO. ask the guy shooting next to you. all of us gun people will agree, we are much more willing to talk to someone who isn't "x-special forces know it all NOOB guy". if you have a stupid question, ask. we won't laugh, we will guide you as best as we can. i can't stress this enough!

remember, we have all been noobs..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

good advice so far.

but in the end, I leave with you some advice. This advice has been passed down in my family from generation to generation. My great great grandfather brought this knowledge from Poland. He then passed it to my great grandfather, to my grandfather, to my father, and finally to me. I shall pass this advice on to my children as well.

Glock > *

that is all.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wow, so horrible homosexuality really IS genetic. Who knew?

:mamoru:

9. cura

cura New Member

:werd: SIG or H&K FTW.

10. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Without having shot one, from the resarch I've done in the past couple days I (think) I've narrowed it down to: Glock 19, XD compact, or a Walther P99. I want to shoot one beforeI really decide, but I like what I've seen so far with the XD's.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

P99 FTW

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Sigs are for queers

13. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I can just about promise you that if you like the glock and XD, you'll like the S&W M&P. Give it a try! :wiggle:

14. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

:hay: :mamoru:

15. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

1911 it's a gun every man should own

16. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I would say Glock 19

17. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

That's pretty much bottom line