So I tried reformatting...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RiKuN, Sep 2, 2007.

1. RiKuN

RiKuN New Member

So I went through the usual process of reformatting windows xp. When it finished installing windows and did the usual restart, the boot menu selection screen came up. It showed two windows xp. The first one just hung on a blank screen. The second one was able to boot.
    I decided to reformat again, I deleted the whole partition and formated it using NTFS again. This time there wasn't two operating systems, there were THREE! When I look at the boot.ini, I only see one operating system. What's going on? How do I get rid of the two non existent operating systems that keep on showing up at the boot menu?

2. Sphere

Sphere New Member

Remove the other drives from the system. Format using XP CD and then check if they are gone. If they are still there then throw away your XP CD.

3. nLinked

nLinked New Member

There's a program called Vista Boot PRO. It works on XP as well. Maybe you could install it on the XP that does work, and delete the other invalid entries from the program.

If you can't boot into XP after deleting the others for whatever reason, go into the Recovery Console by booting with the XP CD, and use the fixboot command.