So I think my new DVD/CD Burner just died on me :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

MSI DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DR8-A (MS-8408A), Retail

I just bought this thing too :rant2: I burned 8 CD's in a row last night, then I went to put in the next one, when I click on "burn", Nero keeps telling me "Please insert an empty disc to write to." I'm like :wtf: :confused: because I know it's a fresh CD, so I think, well, maybe I got a bad one. I proceed to go through 15 CD's like that, I even dug down halfway through my stack of disc's and got one out of the middle just to see, still the same message.

So now I'm thinking, well, lets see if it will even see a normal CD, so I get out my OEM driver disc for my keyboard and pop it in my burner, and I get nothing. If I go into "My computer" and click on my drive, it opens a window, but the window is blank, as if the disc had nothing in it. So I popped the same disc into my DVD-ROM, and it opened right away, and I can explore the disc and see all the files in it.

So I tried uninstalling the DVD burner, rebooting and reinstalling it. Still, same thing. Just to check, I figured maybe the drive overheated or something, and it had been about 30 minutes by this time since I burned the last disc, I tried to pop in another CD-R, and bam, it's working again, but it only got about 5% into the burn before it died.

So now it's about 10 hours later, my computer has been shut down all night, so if it was just an overheating problem it should have been very cooled by now. I pop in a fresh disc and I get the same thing as last night, doesn't even see the disc in the drive. The thing that confuses me the most is that if I double click on my DVD-ROM drive while there is no CD in it, windows tells me "Please insert Disc", but when I double click the DVD-RW drive, it just opens a blank window, whether there is a CD in there or not :confused:

So is it broken or what? Is there some other thing I need to try that might fix it, or should I just send it back and get a new one?

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

DVD/CD burner combos have been known to do this, try to see if you can get a replacement.

3. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I ordered it through newegg.com, so I'm not worried, I will be getting it replaced, I just wanted to make sure that I was diagnosing the problem accurately and that there wasn't anything I might have missed in troubleshooting the issue.