A&P So I think I'm going to sell my 24-70 f/2.8 and buy a 70-200 f/2.8 IS

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. aCab

    aCab New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Messages:
    18,292
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Chicaaago
    I just think I'd use the focal length more. Does anyone else use the 70-200 f/2.8 IS as their main lens? I'd have it as my only lens for the next few months. Well, that, the 18-55 kit, and nifty fifty, and a G9 (that's on the way in a few days).
     
  2. ace3

    ace3 mouthify my wang.

    Joined:
    May 4, 2001
    Messages:
    122,632
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Omaha NebrASSka Posts: 15
    jesus, hell no.

    the 70-200 is on my camera maybe 5% of the time.

    24-70 is a pimp lens ... use it all the time.
     
  3. Blair

    Blair New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Messages:
    8,532
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Oregon
    ehh, total depends on what you are shooting. sideline shooters start and 70-200, outdoor portrait and glamor guys use theirs a lot, landscape not so much.

    i live with my 80-200 on when i am out shooting snowmobiling. total depends on the subject and environment.
     
  4. PUREVIL

    PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2001
    Messages:
    22,629
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Minot ND / Las Vegas NV
    I just got my 70-200 f2.8L IS and its a badass lens. I took some shots of the dogs running and sleeping. Mostly screw around stuff and I love the lens. But as mentioned its really good for limited uses I think. I guess you could use it as a main lens if you wanted too, but I find it would be a bit of a PITA to have as my only lens.
     
  5. aCab

    aCab New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Messages:
    18,292
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Chicaaago
    When I had my 70-200 f/4 L, I used it all the time. I like real tight crops. I'd eventually buy a 10-22 to complement it, but ATM, I don't really do much in the way of carrying a camera around everywhere. When I'm out to take pictures, I'm out to take pictures. Mainly portrait sessions, or track days. I know people that shoot feature stories for car magazines that use nothing but the 70-200.
     
  6. Bloke

    Bloke Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2003
    Messages:
    26,775
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pekin, IL
    both
     
  7. Creator

    Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2001
    Messages:
    44,092
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Here
    24-70L? If so id probably take it off your hands.
     
  8. isaac86hatch

    isaac86hatch This thread sucks

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Messages:
    27,892
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Oregon
  9. Jcolman

    Jcolman OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2002
    Messages:
    43,134
    Likes Received:
    90
    Location:
    east coast
    Out of my five lenses, I probably rank the 70-200 as the third most used lens. My 28-75 comes in first, followed by the 50 followed by the 70-200 or maybe the 16-35. My 90 macro gets very little use.
     
  10. Mutombo

    Mutombo New Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Messages:
    5,289
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    San Francisco
    I use my 24-70 about 90% of the time and my 70-200 the other 10%. I don't think the telephoto is wide enough for everyday use but I guess it depends on what you shoot...
     
  11. PUREVIL

    PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2001
    Messages:
    22,629
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Minot ND / Las Vegas NV
    Out of my five I use my 50mm the most. 10-22 > I can see me using the 70-200 > 100 mac > 17-55 least.
     

Share This Page