MIL So i think im going to be joining the marines soon, couple questions for you all

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KillerRobotJews, Jul 9, 2005.

1. First off, let me say thank you for reading this thread, if you can help me with some questions i would be grateful. :wavey:

So to start, i'm thinking about joining the marines. I'm going to go talk to a recruiter later this week, is there anything i should know before hand?

What kind of pay can i expect starting?

Anyone in the medical field on here? How is it?

Honestly, how hard is bootcamp?

those are just a few off the top of my head, I'm not sure what i would be going in for. Probably infantry or medic, Might try to get into special forces if possible.

2. And let me state, that it doesnt have to be the marines, that's just what i was considering.

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

if u want to do something special operations dont just focus on the marines. you have:

Army: 18x contract (special forces (green beret) recruit)
    11x OPTION 40 contract (Airborne Ranger Infantryman)

Navy: they have the SEAL contract

Air Force: Pararescue
    Combat Controller
    i think there are others, im not familiar with the AF.

As you can see there is plenty of special operations options out there. dont just focus on the marines. if you were thinking medic or infantry then you may love being a Army Special Forces Medic, and you will be expertly trained in both. feel free to im me on aol im if you got more questions. my sn is RaNg3rSLeAdDaWaY, i have first hand experience in a special op unit and missions, so i can answer a lot of your questions.

hope that helped

4. :bowdown::bowdown:

So by contract, does that mean that i sign up to be trained for that? Or do i have to get promoted into those fields?

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

There are huge bonuses attached to the Army SF route. :eek3:

6. are there really? Like what?

7. DaRkPhAnToM

you are guarenteed training slots for that by having a contract, theres no way the army will screw you out of it. now if you fail Special Forces training, the army can put you where they want but u will still be an airborne infantryman

8. :cool: How hard is the special forces training (I'm assuming its pretty damn hard)

9. DaRkPhAnToM

i am pretty sure the 18x (special forces) enlistment bonus is around $20,000.00

10. :eek3:

11. DaRkPhAnToM

this pamplet is for guys who are in the army already who want to try out for special forces but it has good info on the training and how to prepare for it in it, check it out, you need adobe acrobat since its a .pdf

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/sfas/download/p601_25.pdf

12. Thank you so much, if you ever need another subscription, PM me :wavey:

Special forces medic seems like it would be an Awesome career

13. Also, Do you get to pick the language you get trained in?

14. DaRkPhAnToM

it would be awesome but also consider this, theres 4 sf jobs. weapons, engineer, communication, and medic. medic has the hardest and longest training, you have to train with ER surgeons and stuff in hospitals. they are trained insanely well in medicine. it will be long and hard training but it will be worth it, just make sure you know that you will be training for a while. just put your mind and heart to it though and you will be fine.

15. DaRkPhAnToM

your language and job is based on your test scores. the language is hard to pick but usually they will give your 1st or 2nd choice on your job selection, based on talking to my buddies who did it.

16. DaRkPhAnToM

i leave in a couple months for SF training, i have my brief on July 25th

17. DaRkPhAnToM

if you can a gt score of like 120 or above you will be able to get the medic job typically

18. What SF job did you go into?

Know anyone who's made it through Escape and Evasion? I hear its insanely hard

19. DaRkPhAnToM

i dont know my job yet, i will find out at the end of phase1 (SFAS). i have a gt score of 126 so they might give me medic. SERE school is hard but passable, thats towards the end of your SF training

20. What about medical prerequisites?

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, and treated for it. That won't disqualify it will me?

21. DaRkPhAnToM

now if you dont want long training and just want to shoot and blow shit up, you can always choose the airborne ranger contract, thats what i did when i joined. its not as long as SF but you still do some pretty cool stuff. you would do infantry basic (14 weeks), airborne (3 weeks), RIP (3 weeks), and then be assigned to 1 of 3 ranger battalions located in GA and Washington State. you would eventually go to Ranger School (63 days) and get your Ranger Tab, but most likely you will deploy shortly upon arriving to a battalion and go to the ranger school at a later date

22. DaRkPhAnToM

im not telling you to lie, but if your fine now without medication then there is no reason to put it on the paper work (i didnt)

23. Ok, thats what i figured. Thanks

24. I will also consider that as an option. What is RIP? And is there an enlistment bonus for this as well?

25. DaRkPhAnToM

i think they have a bonus for ranger option still. you would probably get a bonus for infantry and one for airborne, airborne is 3,000 and infantry probably around 5,000 and maybe extra for ranger contract, i havent looked at bonuses in a while, you could ask your recruiter about it. RIP is the Ranger [size=-1]Indoctranation Program. basically Ranger Instructors smoke the shit out of you to see if you are the right person for a ranger battalion for 3 weeks, you also do required training to be assigned to a ranger battalion
    [/size]