SRS So i think i might volunteer with a Crisis hotline

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kokomo, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

2. Ohmyashley93

Ohmyashley93 New Member

It sounds like it would be very 'eye opening'.
    But at the same time i would be left disturbed from listening to people contemplating suicide. :noes:

Idk you have to have a strong stomach/heart/mind to do that.

3. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

I want to be a police officer and think this would be a very good thing on my resume

4. Ohmyashley93

Ohmyashley93 New Member

Well yeah I think that actually would look really good on a police resume.

Good luck with all of that :)

5. the line i called in the past sucked. all they do was get your address and try to send the cops to come pick u up and send u to the looney bin. maybe this one is different, good luck.

6. THoC

THoC New Member

more power to you. i could never do that. not bc i couldnt handle the sadness but bc people that are chronically depressed/suicidal/etc annoy me.

7. djbomberto

djbomberto OT Supporter

Hate to revive a dead thread, by my SO is currently at a Crisis hotline here in FL. She has been there for 2+years now, and she loves it. I know she tells me some stories and im just like :ugh:. I can get more info for you if you need it. Just let me know

8. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Out of curiosity, what does she love about it? It seems like, to me, it'd be a tough job listening to so many people like that.

9. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

I really want to do this and was looking into it last year but apparently you need to pass a security check and I wont since i have a criminal record :(

10. wow i cant even imagine doing this. i could not even stomach a 911 hotline. i am too impressionable, next thing you know im the one needing help...

11. djbomberto

djbomberto OT Supporter

she is currently going for her doctoral in Psychology and the part that she loves is actually making a difference in peoples life whom are on the verge of /themselves. Just if you are on the information line then you get rude, ungrateful bastards who you just want to hangup on.

Plus you do not get alot of calls near the holidays shocking eah? Plus after a while of doing it, you kinda get numb to the idea. Around spring/summer is when its the busiest time of the year.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  12. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

It's not all about suicide. At least not when I was in contact. My fiance was in a really unstable state & was a bit dangerous to himself in general or behind the wheel.

Sometimes things just get really screwed up & people need help or the suggestion of having help forced on them in order to gain the upper hand on their existing mental conditions. The unmanageable, of course, have gotta be handled lest they bite dust.

I'd love that kind of work. Helping other people w/their problems is way more appealing than dealing w/my own.

13. northw3st

northw3st New Member

someone's gotta do it - might as well be you.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I agree, do it. Just remember to detach and remember, you can't help everyone, but you'll do your best.