GUN So i think I might enlist in the Army...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

And I dunno what to do with my guns. I want to be home to take advantage of the sunset, but I might want to start teaching my brother about the AWB so he can change my ARs over. I dont know who I would even trust to keep my rifles. Maybe I should cosmo them and bury them for 4-6 years. Maybe I will be able to take one with me to where ever I get stationed.
    Another thing I was wondering, can a enlistee carry/conceal-carry a pistol if he/she is not a combat MOS? Obviously bases have good security, but there is a good possiblity that I could get shipped to a command, especially a command for all this Iraq shit. If I was stationed there, I would really like to be able to carry a little something to protect myself.

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If you live on base your weapons must be stored in your unit's armory if you want to have them with you. It is a royal pain in the ass to get them when you want though. You can't just carry around a weapon on base for the hell of it. Different units have different policies on taking personal sidearms on a deployment, I know my old unit (1st Armored Division) issued a division wide order prohibiting personal weapons from being taken when they deployed to Iraq. I was in a combat MOS and that didn't make the rules any different. Really the only units I could see giving permission to take personal weapons are the Ranger battalions and SF groups.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

As far as CWP as an enlisted person, I believe that you have to have permission from your CO, or in some cases, the base commander.

4. DK

DK New Member

yep and that usually doesnt mean you take your own gun, but rather that you can choose your weapons from the armory depending on your personal preferences. usually special forces units have pretty much anything in their armory, from top notch western guns to the guns enemy combattants are likely to carry (eg AKs).

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i know several three marines and one air national guardsman that all just got back within the past couple of months. they've all said that they were allowed to take whatever gear they wanted over there. problem is, one of them took a glock with him, and he wasn't allowed to bring it back. you cannot bring back ANY weapons. they're being rat bastards about this. from what everyone has told me, it is all but impossible to get a weapon, even a sword, back from over there. they're also stopping people from smuggling or shipping artifacts back. basically, nothing more than sand can be brought back.

but, none of them had any problem getting their gear over there. one of the marines was attached to a scout/sniper platoon, though he has not yet complete sniper school, and had an M21 for part of the time (and reported that it SUCKED royally for reliability) and an M4 most of the time, with some goodies on it. knowing that he'd have the M21, he borrowed 10 mags from a friend and took them over and brought them back. gear isn't a problem, but you're not going to get any weapons back. depending on your unit, i guess, you may not even be allowed to take them in the first place.