A&P So I think I have decided on the 300D....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

It's a great entry level DSLR. I've had mine now for a little over a year and have had a blast with it. I'm starting to outgrow it a little bit but can't upgrade any time soon with a trying to pay off all credit cards and start saving for a house with my wife. I find myself reallllly wanting AI-Servo for the automotive racing photography that I'm increasingly getting into but ah well.

Check my gallery for examples from the 300d
    http://jpdean.deviantart.com

3. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

The controls can get annoying, and the kit lens isn't the greatest, thats the only cons for me. Besides that the image quality is superb, which is what it all boils down to right? :o

4. Frank N. Beans

What flash? Lense? Nighttime shots are one thing I would love to get a better grip on. I am also into the racing scene pretty big, thats where most of my photography time is from. Action shots at the track, so the nice continuous rate of the 300D will benefit me. Also the manual features will be awesome too, as I do alot of still photography also.

Please, anyone who can give some advise feel free to chime in. Below is a link that pretty much shows what I will be doing with my camera. All the pics you see in that post are with a cheesy FujiFilm Finepix A201 (2.0 MP). All functions on that camera are pretty much automatic.........hence why some are blurry...

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1457943

5. Frank N. Beans

Care to elaborate? Which controls?

6. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

buy the one that's being sold in this forum for $600

7. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

You need to hold down a button while toggling another just to change the aperture, no display for the ISO unless you check it, and the preset white balance is retarded :eek4:

8. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

All of them and the lack of .:mamoru:

9. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

...and it feels like a cheap plastic-y toy

10. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

Sure when compared to other SLR's...not compared to point and shoots like he was also considering.

BTW, I'd go with just the body or body+kit and add what you need...those ebay packages don't seem worth it.

Or get a D70: $1195.99 from Circuit City - 10% gift card if you order over the phone right now - $100 rebate from Nikon = $976 for the camera + kit lens and you can opt for in store pickup and pay no shipping and have it right away :cool:

11. sony

sony Active Member

Most SLRs have controls like that except for the Minolta really (because it has 11ty billion knobs and buttons, which isn't a bad thing because I've heard it is a great camera in terms of ergonomics and design). :o

12. Frank N. Beans

Ok, so knowing what kind of photography I like to do.......would the D70 be better for me than the 300D?

13. sony

sony Active Member

I shot plenty of motorsports with the Digital Rebel and never had any problems with its FPS because I got my timing down where the bes tshot would be the first one I took anyway. :o

The focusing modes might benefit you on the D70, but a long lens bought with the money saved might benefit you more with the Digital Rebel. It's a tough choice. :hsugh: :hsugh: :hsugh:

14. Frank N. Beans

So you are saying the 50mm lense that comes with the 300D is fine in your standards?
    Anyone know if the lense is good that comes with the D70?

At this point I am torn. Get a 300D and a good lense, get a D70 and use it out of the box, or hell.............I am looking one step backwards at the G6 now. I can get a lense for it if I want one.

Damn

15. sony

sony Active Member

You can't get a lens for a G6, it has one built in. :hsugh:

16. sony

sony Active Member

Get the D70. :)

17. hash browns

:)

18. Twisted

Twisted Beauty in motion.....

300d and D70 are both great cameras. D70 is quite a bit more $$$ but comes with a better lense. 300d is cheaper, you can add a decent lense and still cost less than a D70. Plus down the road, lenses are cheaper for Canon.

Depending on how much you have to spend. I would get the 300d body only, buy a 50mm f/1.8 or a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 XRdi.

My Dreb:
    [​IMG]

19. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

while the kit lens may not be the greatest, but for the price it can't be beat, imho. and the kit lens can hold its own imho. some samples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if one's getting the 300D and is trying to compare it to the D70, for a VERY similar price, you can get:

Body: EOS-300D
    Lens: Cannon EF-S 18-55mm (kit lens - included)
    Lens: Cannon EF 50mm F/1.8 (prime - $50-$75)
    Lens: Cannon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L ($450-$550)

good luck :)

20. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I'm having fun with my 300D and kit lens, at the moment. I also got a Sigma 70-300 last week, which is quite good, despite my noob efforts to sabotage every shot :big grin:

Sitting by ponds watching swans is NOT fun in mid winter :|

21. hash browns

22. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

23. sony

sony Active Member

One has been in development since September 2004 and isn't fully functional as a battery grip (meaning the shutter release etc. work) unless it is HARD WIRED. If you're doing IR you lose the ability to half press, so basically the grip is only for cosmetic reasons and a little bit of feel, but as a functional piece, well.. it fails.

Good luck locating the ones that actually "exist" for purchasing. I've seen a lot of people link (and have searched myself) for these home-made grips, but I've never seen any actually for sale or anyone actually claiming to have purchased one.

Does a grip exist? Yeah. Can you get it? Good luck. Does it work like a battery grip should work? No.

Also, as far as a grip is concerned, I'm not sure if it should be a huge thing to consider when making a purchase. If it is your first camera, you don't even have any idea what a SLR with a grip feels like. Yeah, it feels more balanced with bigger lenses and yeah it feels damn good, and yeah if you asked me to take my grip off I'd say no because it feels awkward without it, but I used my Digital Rebel for a year without a grip and I didn't have any complaints because I didn't know what it felt like. In this case, "ignorance" is bliss as they say.

24. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

thats hott :eek3:

25. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

i was doing a night shot series for a web design company. they wanted to see sample night shots i had, of which i had none...UCSD was the closest place so i just went there :p

won a small photography contest with the geisel shot too :)

melloboy