So I switched all my VMs to VMware.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Mar 12, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, I just sorta did it, no warning or anything. One of the benefits of working for a small company is I can get away with that sort of thing. And I only bluescreened the server twice! :bigthumb:

I've got a couple of questions, though. The first one directly relates to the bluescreens, because every time I try to tell VMware that it can give a VM two CPUs instead of one, the whole fscking server hangs as soon as the VM boots up. Any ideas why that's happening?

The second question is, can I set VMs to wait before booting up automatically? I have one VM that needs to come online before any others do, because its bootup process is very intensive and it takes about 4x as long if other VMs are trying to boot up at the same time.

EDIT: I suppose I should say I'm using the free version of VMware Server 1.0.4.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Its in VM settings, under options. You can set each VM to power up automatically on host startup or not.

I don't know why its bluescreening though. I have mine set to use both cores on my server and it works just fine. What host OS are you using?

3. deusexaethera

Windows Server 2003.

I'm aware of the automatic-start setting. I was asking if there was a way to make VMs 2 and 3 wait 120 seconds before starting automatically, or something like that. That's one feature I was glad to have in MS Virtual Server.

4. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

1. You can't change the number of CPUs on Windows like that, it has to do with the HAL that's loaded when you install the OS. Changing from a single CPU HAL to an SMP HAL is a major change, you have to reinstall/repair the OS.

2. Dunno, never really tried to do that...

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I've added CPUs to a Server 2003 install before and it worked fine with the added procs. I installed it with 1 CPU and added 3 more a few months later.

However what is happening here is his host machine is blue screening when he changes from 1-2 CPUs reflected on his guest OS.

6. deusexaethera

^^^ What he said.

It kinda makes me wonder if VMware is interrupting some critical process running on that extra CPU I want to assign to a VM, and when that process gets its dick stepped on, the machine just stops running.

Oh, and I misspoke earlier: the host server doesn't bluescreen, it just stops. Like, the mouse stops moving, the cursor stops blinking, the hard drives stop clicking, and it just sits there showing me what I was working on the instant I tried to boot up the VM with 2 cpus assigned to it.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Does the vmware run as a separate process? If so, can you make an affinity settings change?

8. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Is there a particular reason you need SMP in a virtual machine? There's significant overhead with virtual SMP, I wouldn't bother using it unless you have a justifiable need.

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I woudl have to double check but we have a similar situation, our inet dns box needs to come up before the mail filter I believe ... last time I looked we had a batch file that started them in a certain order and had wait statements in between ...

10. samh22a

samh22a OT Supporter

You should have used Hyper-V .

11. deusexaethera

That might work. I haven't looked into whether VMware spawns multiple processes to run VMs -- obviously it spawns multiple threads, but threads are harder to control directly than are processes.

12. deusexaethera

Thanks for explaining why Hyper-V would be a better choice.

13. deusexaethera

Hmm, that could work. If you could post the file, that would be great.

14. samh22a

samh22a OT Supporter

Hyper-V is free, and much better than Vmware server.

In fact, it's directly competing with ESX

15. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

16. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Should mention we're running the full VMWare Server 1.0.3 ...

17. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Hyper V is not really a competitor to ESX yet. It lacks some key features, and it's not free, you have to buy Windows Server 2008 to get it.

18. deusexaethera

Wait, Hyper-V is a microsoft product? Not interested. Microsoft makes a decent OS and some good apps and games, but I don't want them selling me hardware too, whether that hardware is real or virtual.