So I start classes on the 25th to become a personal trainer

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by evh, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evh

evh Active Member

Can't wait for this. Human Anatomy and Physiology first, then after that the actual personal training course starts. I know I could just get certified through ISSA, ACE, etc. but I'd rather go to a college and get everything hands on. My uncle runs a chain of gyms down here, so once I get that cert I'm set with a job.

Anyone else here a personal trainer?

2. giz

giz Active Member

Neo22

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Working for a commercial gym is good for experience but the money is in private clients. Though as said before, its more of a sales job.

4. Ore

Ore OT Supporter

medicine ball all day bro

5. evh

evh Active Member

oh, absolutely. I plan on working at my uncle's gyms for a couple years, then plan on opening a personal training fitness studio with one of my best friends. funny thing is, my uncle runs the gyms, his uncle owns just about every piece of fuckin property in the surrounding towns i live in (the guy is LOADED). my uncle offers advice on where to get equipment/how to run it, his uncle can hook us up with cheap property.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

My folks were offering to front me the money to open up a studio but too much of a commitment and I'm too much of an underachiever.

7. evh

evh Active Member

i don't know what you currently do for a living, but there's not a doubt in my mind all you'd have to do is a place an ad in a newspaper with a picture of yourself in it, and you'd be guaranteed clients.

on a serious note, get a partner and do it. one popular studio where i live rakes in $800,000 a year. yes, that's a lot of money. then again, and i won't be smug about it, i live in a pretty wealthy town. i'm not wealthy myself, but trust me, wealth is definitely present around here.

edit:
    too much of a commitment? dude, clearly you have the ability to commit yourself to bettering your body and life. if you can do that, i think you can run a studio.

8. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

just recently started on my nsca-cpt certification here. looking at working with an after hours fitness program at a local rehab facility. really looking forward to it. how long is it gonna take you to become certified?

9. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Is this one of the NASM endorsed classes?

10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i'll be your silent partner :x:

11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

PT is entirely a sales job, unfortunately. and a vast majority of PT's are complete morons who think that a certification makes them knowledgable on how to change bodies, make people strong, etc.

12. evh

evh Active Member

AAPTE

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I have a handful of clients now... but only do about 10-12 sessions per week on average. I like...no...I love my free time... especially nap times.

14. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I'm a personal trainer and i have absolutely no credentials or have ever taken a class for that matter.

Bringing in 1500 dollars a month for working 24 hours a month.

Just a side job.

Its easy, yet annoying. "My body is hard but i havent been seeing any of my belly going away!"

So i ask to go over what they ate last weekend.

"Well all my friends went to in n out so i decided to get a cheeseburger and animal style fries and a coke"

15. evh

evh Active Member

that's some pretty good cash, if you charged something like $50 an hour.

to each his own though, if i were you i'd open a studio. advertise to high schools/colleges, get to know people at the gnc's/vitamine shoppes/vitamin worlds and have them recommend you. you'd make fuckin BANK

16. evh

evh Active Member

agreed. diet is key. if people ate correctly all the time and ate what and when they were supposed to, they'd see much better and faster results.

17. Noelting

Noelting Guest

you're not the first person to tell him this :o dude doesn't want it

18. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

what do PTs do as far as routines are concerned...? do they just rip off other peoples' or do they create their own?

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

some gyms don't allow PT's to do what they want, which is probably a good idea, considering most PT"s are fucking idiots.

some just have cookie cutter BS routines that they throw people on and hold their hand while they do a pre-laid out program

in an ideal world, a personal trainer will analyze a client and make a program for his or her specific needs. the problem is that, again, most PT's are stupid.. hell, a lot of PT's don't even lift weights.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  20. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

how much for the class? sounds like a fun side job!

21. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

:werd: There are more than a handful of PTs at my gym who are in worse shape than their clients

22. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

from what i've seen at my gym 99% of the people with PT's are doing nonstop core work (situps on ball, other shit on ball) and playing with bands trying to lose fat. if they all just ran on the treadmill 5x a week they'd reach their goals :dunno:

if they're all beginners one routine should be fine (cept for injuries)

23. hootpie

hootpie New Member

There's a girl at my gym who is literally 30-35lb overweight and she trains people in better shape than her.

I know it's possible for someone to be a good trainer and not be in good shape themselves, but it doesn't really inspire any confidence in the client when their trainer is completely out of shape.

24. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

and thats why you are not a trainer. What you have to realize is that you need to put someone on a program that is continually changing, otherwise the majority will feel they can do it by themselves. Most people I train, pay me to be not only their trainer but a friend. I train a good amount of married and divorced women in their mid 30's.

25. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I asses posture, muscle imbalances and goals, then make a program based upon that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.