MIL So I spoke to a Marine recruiter today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoCaLlove, Dec 28, 2005.

1. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

...about the possiblity of joining the reserves. Well, I went ahead and did a practice asvab. I scored a 51 and placed in the alpha section. I don't really know what that meant. The recruiter said I was capable of joining.

Afterwards, he broke out these tiny placards which had words/phrases on them and asked me to pick 4 and place them top to bottom in order of importance. My first choice was "Pride of belonging" my other picks were "self -discipline/ self-courage" and "challenge"

Then we talked about what possiblie MOS' I was interested in. I said infantry and military police. We talked about getting everything in writing but I was told MP was no longer avaliable cause there were no openings. Obviously 03 is my next choice. Kinda funny cause he said he'd have to check if there was any 03 left.

But basically I said I want sometime to study for the asvab and that hopefully we can get the ball rolling to where I can get into boot camp by summer '06.

Sorry for the long read. Any advice, opinions, criticisms are appreciated.

TIA

2. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Why Infantry? :big grin:

(BTW I'm an Infanteer myself, just wondering what made you do it.)

3. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

^^Cause I'm wanna kick ass and take names :noes:

My overall goal is to enter into law enforcement. That is why I'm want to do reserves. It'd give me the opportunity to serve and still have time to become a police officer. If I get called to duty, it's all good. So I want something that'll help me with experience. IE infantry/mp.

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I'm an Infantry reservist with the Marines in Missouri.

Was in San Diego a lot from June to November. I <3 deja vu strip club, or the body shop. And your mall is awesome :)

Anyways --- I didn't even know you could be an MP reservist. MP is a horrible job because you just stand at some front gate checking ID's all day long. And MP's tend to be out of shape and fat.

Infantry is awesome, and it is the most prestigious job you can have in the military. There are always openings in infantry, your recruiter is just trying to make it seem like it is something hard to get in to. It's the Marines, they always need young bodies for dying.

Boot camp sucks, but you live in San Diego, so it won't feel like you're very far from home. You'll have a blast at School of Infantry, because you'll get to go home each weekend. As opposed to if you become an MP, which I still don't think there are MP reservists, you'll have to go through 3 weeks of MCT (not getting to leave base (camp pendleton) on the weekends), then you'll have to go to MP school in Pensicola (spelling) or somewhere.

Infantry :bigthumb: .

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

If you went delayed entry program you could probably find an opening for MP.

He's probably just trying to get you shipped out ASAP.

6. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Thanks guys. I actually wanna do the dep (schdule allowing). The recruiter said it'd prepare me for boot camp. He said the stuff he'll do would be a lot harder than boot camp. We'll see, I guess.

From what he told me, there are MP reservists. I may have misunderstood him. I'll double check. But yeah, I pretty much said in the even I get activated I want something that'll put me on the front line.

Again, I wanna make sure that what I do in the Marines will give me what I need to become a police officer. I gotta make sure all this will work with my schedule for next year. My plan is to finish my last semester, get my associates, then do boot camp in the summer. I guess from there which ever MOS I choose go to that training.

Any questions I should ask the recruiter when I get back with him? Btw, what would I expect in DEP?

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

don't bother with all of this crap.

not the DEP shit, not recruiting shit, not the asvab studying, not a single thing. don't think about the marines at all for the next 6 months.

finish your associates degree, get the graduation paper in your hand, then that same day walk your little happy ass to the recruiting station and sign your name on the dotted lines, make sure you're getting in as an E2, and join the glorious world of marine reserves. you will be on the bus to boot camp and on those yellow footsteps within a week or two of you signing your papers, guaranteed.

doing things that way will make all the difference in the world.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

The fiscal year for the DoD/Marine Corps goes from I believe October 1st until September 30th, so it's definitely not too late.

Also, if your recrutier doesn't have any allotments for the MOS you want, if he thinks you're a good recruit and worth the extra leg work he can trade MOS slots with another recruiting station that has a slot for what you want. Just show him you're motivated and 100% committed to this and you'll get what you want if you have a good recruiter.

And I just looked and there are NO military police reserve units at all in the entire state of California, so unless you plan on flying to the nearest one in another state every single month for your drills and whatnot, you're out of luck.

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/CA.html

9. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Thanks for the advice Kidhero. Don't worry, I'm still focused on finishing school. Just thought I'd get a head start in this.

Thanks for the heads up Accord. I'll mention this to my recruiter. He did mention about trading slots with stations in Los Angeles. But since there's no MP reserves. Lets hope there's a slot open for 03!! *fingers crossed* lol

So whats DEP like for you accord? Again, anything I should be asking to make sure I get what I want?

Oh yeah almost forgot. Where can I go to study and take asvab practice tests? The recruiter said check marines.com and usmc.mil , but I can't find anything.

10. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Well im a marine MP, so get it straight from the source. Yes, there are reserve MP's. however as accord said the reservist station you are wanting to go to has to have them there in their unit. im in a mwss unit, and while in the rear i get attatched to headquarters and do the regular MP duties such as patrol, stand gates and what not. but ive also been to iraq and done the whole marine thing.

dont listen to everything socrates saida bout mp's =\ yes we do stand the main gates, mainly the lower ranked boots or fuck ups. or sometimes just to give other guys time to patrol and swap out. the gate really isnt a bad place to work sometimes. you get a lotta DUI's at night and some funny shit happens.
    There are many schools that you can take while in the military that will help with civilian police work when you get out. for example, i am HGN certified in the state of arizona (a field sobriety test). theres also accident investigation school, criminal investigation division, physical security, and so forth, and thats just the garrison side of things.

11. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

aftershock, I take it you enjoy being an MP? You'll have to forgive me but I'm not very familiar with most military abbreviations. What does "mwss" and "HGN" mean?

I'm looking at that link Accord gave and it showed no MP unit in San Diego. I'm not willing to leave SD so if MP is not an option then I'll have to look at my other choices. But we'll see.

Thanks again for all your input, guys. I really appreciate it.

12. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

mwss = marine wing support squadron. hgn = horizontal gaze nystamus. if youve ever watched cops, its the test were they have you follow the pen with their eyes. i do enjoy it to an extent. but the hours are long and we dont get every holiday and special day off which sucks

13. Accord

Accord New Member

DEP is fun as hell, at poolee meetings we'll go on field trips, take a PFT, have a guest speaker or something, play sports against another recruiting station, etc. it's a lot of fun. It all depends on your particular recruiting station though, some of them have motivated recruiters that really go all out like mine and then some have ones that don't really care and they don't even have any poolee meetings at all.

I never studied for the ASVAB, so i'm not sure... but check military.com and i've heard barnes&noble and borders have some good study guides.

14. jung918

jung918 Member

You tell the recruiter what you want. If you want to be military police, tell him thats what you want. Make sure it says 5811 and not just 5800 field. You could be a 5831 (Brig Guard). Also, if you are at the top of the class you could try out to be K9. You could also be a field MP. There is also SRT (Special Reaction Team). That is pretty much like SWAT.
    MPs aren't fat like they say. They have fat people in every company. You probally will be at the gates. However, they are suppose to hire civilians that work only at the gates here at pendleton. Also make sure you add in time for SOI or MCT and also you MOS school.

15. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

fellow mp? :wavey:

16. Accord

Accord New Member

If you want to get what you want, then be straight with your recruiter and tell him that you will not sign anything unless he can give you the job you want, period. If he tells you that there are no open slots and he can't get a slot, then thank him for his time and tell him to give you a call when he comes across an open slot, which he will.

Don't let him push you into another job you don't want, be firm and you'll get what you want.

17. Socrates

Socrates New Member

God damnit I always thought it was "physical year". --- i'm so dumb

18. Socrates

Socrates New Member

They definitely don't follow that rule!

During SOI when we could come onto base on the Seabreeze shuttles, they would only check like 2 or 3 ID's. I can't even imagine how lazy a civilian would get.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. jung918

jung918 Member

:wavey: I actualy work at the brig.

21. jung918

jung918 Member

It also depends on what condition the base is in. Alpha is pretty relaxed and Delta would be more stringent.

22. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Thanks for the help again, guys. I'll be up front of what I want. Like I said if there isn't a MP reservists slot open then I'll go for infantry. Even if there was a slot open, I'm still leaning towards infantry.

Oh yeah, the recruiter also said the commitment of service would be for six years. Four years as active reserve and two years as inactive. Is that true? Is that the miniumm requirement? Or is there anything shorter?

Also, he kinda hinted to the fact not to put down that I had asthma. So I didn't :mamoru:. It's been a long time since I've had any problems anyways.

23. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Eight years, huh? I gotta ask him about that. I'm compiling a list of questions to ask next time around. Thanks guys.

24. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

every military personel has a 8 year contract. he's not fucking you. how you split that 8 years up is what you worry about.

as a reservist you go 4 and 4 or 6 and 2. 4 years of active drills and 4 years of inactive reserve (meaning you don't do shit).

when you sign up 6 and 2 you can participate in the GI bill, but it's a severely crippled version.

i'm not saying you shouldn't take up the 6/2 offer but just to put things in perspective:

the SR GI bill gives you 280 or so a month when you go to school full time, up to 36 months.

is that worth another 2 years added to your contract?

i myself regret that, as does almost every single one of the reservists in my platoon.

6 years may not seem long and that extra 2 may seem insignificant but things change quickly and depending on what kind of person you are, at 19 signing up for a 6 year thing is a pretty dumb thing to do in hindsight.

25. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

:rofl:

If you're interested in MP work on small boats or with a bit of a twist be sure to check out the U.S. Coast Guard reserve recruiter before you commit.