GUN So, I see alot of quotes in here from time to time

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Oct 25, 2008.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I thought I should add one I haven't seen in here before that truely defines why we fight so hard for our gun rights. It dosn't adress keeping te government in check but Jefferson was pretty vocal about that to. Enjoy.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

2. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

great quote

3. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

If I ever have a son, I'm naming him Thomas Jefferson Bloor

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I just give mine Biblical names to scare the Heathens :mamoru:

5. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

nice :rofl:

6. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

translation:

"A principal source of errors and injustice are false ideas of utility. For example: that legislator has false ideas of utility who considers particular more than general conveniencies, who had rather command the sentiments of mankind than excite them, who dares say to reason, 'Be thou a slave;' who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire for fear of their being burnt, and of water for fear of their being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.
    The laws of this nature are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator? and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons."[4]

:squint:

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

close enough

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Jefferson often repeated or paraphrased others. He was quite clear in his letters on the subject that the whole of the Declaration of Independence was not a work of originality but an aggregation of expressions from republician and libertarian thinkers whom the members of Congress agreed with and found applicable to their cause.

9. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I've read some of Beccaria's Crimes and Punishment Essays, and I have to say, nothing changes with regard to human nature. Consider another Italian writing on a similar subject: Baldassare Castiglione.

For just as a cracked vase cannot be detected so long as it is empty but at once shows where it is flawed when filled with water; so corrupt and depraved souls rarely reveal their defects except when filled with authority.
    -Castiglione

Or another more famous Italian:

You must understand therefore, there are two ways of fighting; by law or by force. The first way is natural to man, the second, to beasts. But as the first way often proves inadequate, one must needs have recourse to the second. So a [man] must understand how to make a nice use of the beast, and the man.
    - Macchiavelli

Or a closer contemporary of Jefferson:

Whereas by supposing they have given up themselves to the absolute arbitrary power and will of a legislator, they have disarmed themselves, and armed him to make a prey of them as he pleases.
    -John Locke.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Damn hillbilly gun owners :mamoru:

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Uneducated boors, the lot of them.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

"Hey fellers, watch this!"

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Ben Franklin actually said that a lot. :big grin: