MIL So I saw a hippy yesterday....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

in Barnes and Noble wearing an old school cammie blouse with a Marines nametape on it.

I think I remember learning in boot camp that the name tapes have to be ripped off if you're not in the service and wearing part of the uniform.

I didn't confront the guy because I wasn't sure if it was allowed or not.

Anyone care to give me some insight on this?

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

the branch tape should be removed when out of service. Also when a uniform is no longer serviceable the branch nametape should be removed.
    Only problem you might have encountered was that he was former marine. And now's he's not.

P.S. Honestly I never correct civilians because it is a waste of breathe. However I will correct a soldier in uniform that needs it.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

probably picked up in a garage sell. why would you correct him? you have better stuff to do.

i want to punch every motherfucker wearing a dogtag some fucked up cammies shit but i don't because i realize all i end up doing is bruise my knuckles.

4. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

he can wear whatever he wants, just leave him alone

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

That's a shitty attitude to have.

If I saw some fat nasty emo guy wearing a dress blue blouse that he bought at a local Surplus City, I would be pissed off.

How can you just say "He can wear whatever he wants."? Take some pride in the shit you earn....

Seeing nasty fucks like that wear the uniform I put blood, sweat, and tears into earning is pretty offensive when they wear it just to look "cool."

Maybe it's just me, but that shit pisses me off. :dunno:

6. SweetDaddyO

is it disrepectful? definitely. unfortunately people have the right to be disrespectful.

the pride you have should be, like you said, in what you earned - not just some piece of cloth. that cloth holds no true value - it's everything that it represents to you that holds the meaning, and when you, or another marine wears it, it becomes a representation of all that hard work. but when some random fag decides to wear it, it loses its meaning, and becomes just another random piece of cloth.

i understand how offensive it would be, but the bottom line is that people in this country have the right to offend others. that whole freedom of speech thing.

7. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

While I am not as pissed to see non-military wear military clothes. I draw the line at wearing military clothes that still have any lettering or medals or badges of that branch. If I saw a guy wearing a marine bress blue top but no other insignia then that him. If what he was wearing had the globe and anchors and he had jeans on then that would be wrong. Same thing for any army, navy or AF uniform.

I always had problems with non-military wearing PT shirts. It was really bad when I first joined and was gung-ho. Now Im a bit more relaxed about the whole thing. But I wear my Army PT shirt pretty often just not in public, hehe. But I earned mine.

8. SweetDaddyO

you'd totally be within your rights to let the guy know you don't appreciate what he was wearing, but he still has the right to wear it. it sucks, but what would suck even more would be living in a country where you were told what you can and can't wear.

9. pakman

pakman New Member

I wear my Army PT shirt in public sometimes. I don't give a fuck what people think :)

10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

:bigthumb: When a person burns the American flag, wears the military uniform as a statement of being anti-establishment, or protest the government/military it does nothing but validate me as a member of the United States military.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Ya sometimes I have to remind myself of the quote "I may not agree with what you have to say, but i'll fight to the death for your right to say it."

12. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

while it may be wrong of them to wear it...what are you going to gain for correcting a civilian? theyll simply say fuck off, and theres nothing you can do about it.

13. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

QFT. lc

14. SweetDaddyO

:fawk:

15. James Bond

James Bond Guest

fuckin hippie

16. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Are you serious?

I'm fighting for his right to burn a flag, should I be happy about that too?

What grade are you in?

17. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You are fighting for his right to burn the flag. Everytime they burn the flag in protest of America and it's government they do nothing but strengthen what the flag stands for. They are exercising their freedoms by burning the flag, thus proving that the flag does stand for freedom. You should laugh at their ignorance.

18. pakman

pakman New Member

You're fresh out of boot camp, give it some time, you'll understand ;)

19. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

I was proud to fight for the flag that could be burned too.

By the way, the only "legal" problem people who wear that stuff can encounter is

1. If they go on base....DOH!
    2. If they are wearing a fully decked out uniformed (in regs) with officer insigs (There is a law on the books as far as "impersonating a mil officer") But there are not any laws against enlisted ;)

By the way, I have a BDU Baseball cap with a Captain's insignia that I wear around (NOTHING else is military in that outfit)

I just like it, I'm out now so I can do that ;)

-fin

20. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Don't know what you could do w/ the clothes thing. But if someone is talking to you about their views, just do what I do sometimes and say very kindly, "You have the right to voice your opinion, doesn't mean I have to listen to it".