So I rode my first Harleys today.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spooledx2, May 28, 2006.

1. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

............. What a dissapointment.

Don't get me wrong they are comfortable. Like a couch comfy. But come on the things handle like a pig on ice and 58HP for how much???????? 15 grand will get you a good start, but then the other 10 in extra parts. Wow.

I always thought from the sound of them and all the hype they get, that they were fast. Guess they are like the Honda Civic of the motorcycle world..... strap on a fart pipe and make a hell of alot of noise just don't go anywhere.

Anyway, am I missing something here. I took pretty lengthy rides on three of them and they all rode this way.

I guess I will stick with my ZX12-r.

Don't flame me just my opinion, and no I am not a squid....... I hate them too.

Late

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

ive never heard it put like that before but yeah i guess it makes sense :mamoru:

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Did you get a chance to ride a Buell at all?

Ive always been strangely atracted to them.

4. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

No I haven't. But a buddy of mine rode one and said the 1200 lightning was about as powerfull as the 2000 zx6-r he has. I have always liked those too.

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Metric cruisers > Hardly Davidson

6. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

More of a style think IMO

7. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

you can't say it any better than this...:rofl:

8. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

I'm guessing none of you guys have ridden many harleys? Don't get me wrong, i'm the one sportsbike rider out of a huge family of HD fans. True they don't handle as well, but there are several in my family alone that will either walk me or give me a run for my money in a straight line...
    i ride a cbr 900rr and a 636

but 100 ci is nothin to fool with :)

but yeah, whatever you're into...just don't trash em if ya don't really know

9. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

and again...not a huge HD fan, but they are NOTHING compared to a honda civic...nothing

10. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

Again they are comfortable, but I have yet to see anything impressive. Short of a hillclimber or a drag bike. My point I guess (for me) bang for the buck is along way from being there.

I know a couple guys with some badass looking custom harleys with Revtek motors, but they seem to have a lot of problems with reliability, so at what cost does speed come in a Harley........... about 45 grand for something custom with 100 horsepower and it breaks down alot.

Just not seeing the attraction, but then again if you are just in to" looking cool" and cruising, around you could always put a fart pipe and flames on a Vespa for a fraction of the cost..... JK

Late

11. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

Heh...45 grand?

stock 01' dyna-lowrider for lil over 10 grand is what my MOM rides..

70 hp and 80 ft lbs of torque...ballsy little thing
    *stock w/out mods* under 11 grand...
    reliable as anything else, and it looks sharp

not to flame or be a dumbass but get your facts right!!
    Its all in what you want i guess

12. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

on 2nd thought...you would obviously have to put quite a bit of money into one to hang with your zx-12r...so i can see where you're comin from. But i can hang with 9's without too much trouble...
    and make 600's look somewhat silly

*01 dynalowrider ...88 ci(1500 cc's :) )* forgot to mention that earlier

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  13. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

The two guys I know with Revteks paid close to 45 apiece.

Maybe I just rode three of the most gutless Harleys in existence.... it is possible I guess. I have not ridden my last I am sure, this was just my first impression..... and needless to say I was not impressed.

Like I said in the beggining this is just the opinion of an obviosly underexpeiriened Harley rider.

late

14. V!

V! New Member

Yup, you described my first cruiser experience pretty much head on

15. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:werd:

Its impressive what they can do on those things.

There was a grand reopening of a Cycle shop here in WA a few weeks ago. I personally didnt go, but one of the boards i frequent had several members that atteneded.

Anyway, one of the events they had was a control course set up by the State Patrol. Cruising around on their big police cruisers. And invited anyone to try and out manouver them.
    Long story short the only guy that could was a very experienced rider on a DRZ400 SM.

I know there are a couple of school here inteh state that offer a public rider training program, where you can learn to ride alongside law enforcment riders, learning how to do controled tight turns, 180 degree turns in one lane without dropping a foot, full accleration from a dead stop while turning, lots of unique, and i think, somewhat helpful experience to have for riding on the road.

16. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I'd like to get a custom as another bike

thing is that when you hit bumps, you donT' have your legs to dampen, it hits straight in the spine.. sure the seat and suspension are comfy, but on big bumps it's worse than my bike

17. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I did one a couple weeks ago, it's the BRC or ERC (beginner riders course or experienced riders course)

i did the ERC and it gave lots of practice, especially since I was on my R6 andnot on the easy bikes you usually get in lessons. I did the realy tight figure 8 and such. Some guys on huge bimmers and harleys were mostly able to do them too. Took a lot of practice for them (and me) to nail the tight 180% trn

18. machine81

machine81 New Member

I saw that on Cycleforums. Pretty sweet. He won a sweet Arai helmet for his effort too.

What course are you talking about? Is it the ERC or something more specialized than that?

19. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I would purchase a H-D on styling and sound alone. I don't find any other bikes attractive at all.

20. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yeah, thats the one.

I was preaty shocked that they handed out such a sweet prize for his efforts.

I dont think its the ERC, but it might be. :dunno: To be honest i dont know what it is exactly. Ive just had a couple people tell me about it, and say it would probibly be somthing i would be interested in after i take my MSF, as im a bit of a naked and SM nut, and would probibly enjoy that style of riding. As i come from an Auto-X and Gymnkhana background in cars.

Ill have to ask and find out for sure.

BTW, whats your nick on CF?

21. machine81

machine81 New Member

machine81, same as here.

I don't post much. I mainly troll :) I check NSR daily though.

What's your handle on Cycleforums?

22. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

so because you rode one harley you make a blanket generalization about the entire brand? thats like riding a ninja250 and then saying... "man ninjas are so freaking slow" :ugh2:

23. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

So like I said it was three not just one........ and it was just my opinion........