GUN So i rented a Glock 19 today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sebeck, Oct 5, 2006.

1. sebeck

sebeck New Member

Last week i rented a Ruger SP101 because lately i've had the inkling to pickup a snub nose revolver. I didn't purchase it because I didn't like the Double Action Only. I'm looking at S&W and Taurus revolvers now. I wish the range had one of those to rent but all they had was the SP101.

So today we planned to go shooting after work. I made a quick trip to wally world at lunch to buy some .40 for my P229. Unfortunately they were sold out. WTF. I still wanted to shoot but I didn't want to pay gun shop prices for .40 and my friend was shooting up his bulk 9mm ammo.

I got the great idea to rent a 9mm and buy 100rnds and shoot some of his bulk ammo. I've always wanted to try out the Glock 19 since the State Dept. (my employer) issues the G19 worldwide. Gun rental was $10, Ammo was $24 (100rnds) for American Eagle or some shit and Range time was $10. (turns out it would have just been cheaper to buy their .40 ammo and shoot my sig. o'well)

The first thing I didn't like was the gun was filthy. (Obviously not Glock's fault here) There was a nice layer of residue on the front of the slide, frame and barrel from other shooters renting it. Magwell was filthy as well as the other innards. No biggie, i'm just going to dirty it up some more.

I shot very well with the G19 I had 1.5" to 2" groups at 7 yards. Just for fun I sent the target to the 25 yard mark to see how close I could get to the bullseye. I was about 4" to the left and up from the bullseye. Not bad at all. Overall i shot the G19 mostly at 7 yards. I shot about 50-70 rnds at 10 yards and about 20 rounds at 15 yards. I was able to hollow out the center of the target after 10-15 rnds at 7 yards. 10 yards took a little longer. The white painted sights bothered me alot. I'm used to my trijicons on my P229. The white on the glock was kind of overbearing and it fucked with my focusing on the front sight. It almost seemed as if the sights were too bright. Again..i'm used to my trijicons.

Now for the negatives. This is the 2nd glock that i've ever shot in my life and it malfunctioned about 10 times within 200 rounds. It was the same malfunction every time so i'll chalk it up to a bad magazine. It was a rental and tons of people shoot that gun day in and day out. The slide would lock back and there would still be a round in the magazine. One time a spent casing got stuck inside but the gun still managed half ass chamber another round. Not sure how that happened but it did. I racked the slide back and a spent casing fell out along with the final round. Again, probably attributed to a weak magazine spring.

My final complaint about the G19 was releasing the magazine to reload a new mag. I understand they are made of polymer and they aren't exactly heavy. I loaded 10rnds into a magazine and had my friend check out the weight. We were impressed. It was incredibly light. I think that is why the empty magazine would not fall out when you release it. It was kind of annoying because i had to physically grab the magazine and help it out of the well. Not exactly what I want to be doing in a life and death situation. Again it was probably because the magazine is so light when it's empty and also the gun hadn't been cleaned prior to me using it.

I'm not discouraged but i'm not impressed either. Priced at $459.00
    it's hard to turn down. I shot very well with it and I think with a good magazine and my cleaning habits it could be a great gun to own. I would change the sights to my liking of course.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience with the G19. I may pick one up when i'm done with my AR buildup.

2. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

:cool: nice report, very informative!

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

It's funny I rented a 17 at my range and kept getting double-feeds. I dont know what they do with those guns at the range but somehow they manage to break them. Now I own a 19 and with about 5k rounds through it so far it has yet to have a single problem.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Some earlier glock mags didn't drop free, to my understanding all current ones do. Any chance you were riding the slide stop locking it open?

5. Furner

Furner New Member

its probably all the thugs having no idea what they are doing.

6. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Never had a single problem with mine :dunno:

Good honest report though

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

ive shot multiple glocks, and ive NEVER had a problem with the mag not dropping free. Probably because it was so damn dirty :dunno:

do yourself a favor and find someone with one who actually cleans it now and then, and give it another shot.

8. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Gun shops absolutely SUCK at maintaining their rentals. My local shop isn't quite as bad as some, but you still get your hands dirty on their rental guns. Both glocks I've rented from them (G19, G34) shot incredibly well, and functioned flawlessly even though they were quite dirty. They cycled rounds in and cases out crisply. The mags in both dropped completely free when I pushed the button. The G19 I had seemed to almost push the mag out. While the |_| shaped rear sight isnt my favorite, I find it easy to line up with the front and easy to shoot with. Combining the above with a perfect grip angle, light weight, and a comfortable, consistent trigger, I think you've got yourself a quality firearm.

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

rental guns are like rental cars.. I wouldnt buy either.. My glock 30 only jammed twice in 4k rounds..

10. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I don't think so. Even when I racked the slide to begin shooting it would hiccup getting that first round into the chamber. I think it was just filthy and needed a good cleaning/lube.

The magazine was a 10 rounder for those interested.

11. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

If you decide to sell the Sig I may be interested.

12. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

I have had 3 or 4 G19s and 2 G17s. I think that they are a great gun. I have never had a problem any of them. I still own the first one i ever bought, about 10 years ago. I clean it after every trip to the range and no problems yet. This after 10k rounds. In the pick is the difference between the "Dropfree"(Bottom) and the "Non-dropfree) (top).

http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=85971_df_ndf_122_428lo.bmp

13. sebeck

sebeck New Member

Which do you like more? The G19 or the G17. I'd like to rent a G17 next.

14. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

There was a point in time where i had 5000 rounds thru my XD without cleaning it.. Never a single problem..

Only reason I cleaned it was because it dirtied my pants holstering it!