GUN So I realized today how useful it would be to have a B.O.B. when you really need it

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jun 23, 2009.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Woke up this morning to the sound of the fire department banging on my apartment door at about 10:00am. I answer the door in my shorts and he says a construction crew broke the main gas line right outside our building and we need to evacuate. He says to grab our pets and "anything else we might need." I didn't know how long we would be out of our home so I woke up my girlfriend, grabbed an empty backpack and started packing in my half-asleep confusion. I managed to grab: My glock, my wallet and keys, a bottle of pain pills (recent surgery), my glasses case, and that was pretty much it. I grabbed my dog and my girlfriend grabbed her cat and we were out the door. I asked how long it would be and the fireman we talked to said a few hours at least. It ended up not being a big deal, we dropped our animals off at the vet my girlfriend works at and went out for lunch and a walk and by the time we got back they were done repairing it and were checking the air quality inside the individual buildings.

Even though this turned out to be nothing too serious it definately got me thinking if something really bad had happened (i.e. fire), even though we'd have a place to go it would be great to have everything we needed for a few days (or even a few hours). Just thought I'd share, you never know how underprepared you are until you're in a situation you never thought you'd be in. :rofl:

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Glad to hear this ended up being a non-issue. It does show how important being prepared can be.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I need to set up a B.O.B. I carry a bookbag to work with me every day with a few things in it including my Glock, but I should make it somewhat more useful. I would like some more HP rounds so I can load my other two mags up.

4. P-chan

P-chan New Member

This is a great example of why you should have at least a few essentials ready to rock in 60 seconds or less. I mean, take a look at worst case scenario, let's say you grabbed a few things and left, and your fucking place blew up. What now? :rofl:

I'd be PROPER fucked if some crazy shit like that happened to me. Really motivates me to get some shit together. At least the very basic shit that is necessary (medications for the family, clothing, a few documents, etc)....Hmmm. Thanks for this post :o

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this is a good example for anti's, too.

its not a SHTF/zombie scenario, but one that can happen to ANYone

6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Yup. Doesn't always have to be a SHTF scenario. Never know when you're going to have to bug out.

7. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

i've been kicking around the idea of this for some time now. one day i'll have to sit down and make a list

8. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I have my Kifaru Marauder normally loaded with a 10.5" carbine, hearing protection, a couple MREs, a pair of pants, a shirt, 6 magazines, a flashlight and some CR123s.

That'd be more of a SHTF bag though - I would use what's inside to get more of whatever I need.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. xpinchx

I'm thinking about making two bags, one for shit like this where I might need to "bug out" at a friend's house for a couple nights. Stuff like waters, food, medication for his/hers, 2x G19 mags, extra underwear and socks, various toiletries, and first aid.

And then a "serious" BOB for zombie-style invasion (anything where I wouldn't have a place to go i.e. natural disaster). I have a nice framed backpack for hiking/backpacking I could load up with sleeping bags, tent, plenty of MRE's and granola bars, water filter, etc. It seems more practical to split things up this way if for example my apartment burns down I won't really need a water filter or tent if I'm just going to stay at a friend's house.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I need to see if the compartment under my Jetta's back seat will fit an AR-15 in it. That would be sort of cool.

11. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

:eek3: yeah it would

12. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Someone needs to post the link of that guy that gave his firsthand account of having to BO in NOLA when shit got crazy.

That guy does a perfect job of explaining the different plans. 60 second/ 5 minute/ 1 hour. Or something along those lines.

If no one throws it up, I will try and find it a little later.

13. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I've often pondered constructing a false floor for the trunk to hold a rifle and a sidearm. Or possibly a mounting system for under the rear deck with velcro straps.

14. xpinchx

I've been thinking about the same thing lately. Realistically I'd never use my AR as an HD weapon since I have my glock + light ready to go at my bedside. I worry about having my car broken into but honestly it'd probably be more likely that my apartment got broken into, plus if it's hidden well it would be a non-issue. Plus my car isn't likely to get broken into, I have a factory stereo, speakers, never leave valuables in sight, etc.

15. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

That's why I leaned towards the false floor. I figured I could key it so that would give me an additional layer of security. The way I picture it is that unless you really spend a lot of time looking at the trunk you will never be able to tell that the false floor is in there.

I almost want to have a second AR so if shit the fans outside of my house in a hurry I still had one in the house as well. I have enough pistols around for the job but not enough rifles.

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

False floors are a federal no-no.

17. cent

cent New Member

BOB?

18. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

Good to know. I assume velcro straps on the deck are legal?

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

IFL on this thread for the NOLA list.

20. BLH

BLH Member

Bug Out Bag.

21. johan

johan Active Member

Good reminder to not "borrow" items from your bob.

I'd rather not spend those few seconds trying to remember if I replaced the bandages in the medkit, if the knife is still there, whether I borrowed the spare mags + ammo for the last ipsc match...

22. xpinchx

Depending on the state, you'll probably need to case it. Some states are really strict and require a case made specifically for holding a gun, other states (like MI) are pretty lenient and you can wrap it with cloth or whatever. Also probably need to keep the ammo seperate.

23. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

battery operated boyfriend

24. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

My neighbor

25. djbomberto

djbomberto OT Supporter

yes you can......don't ask me how i know