GUN So I plan to buy an "assault weapon" before they are banned

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yail Bloor, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Where do I need to start my research?

Used is fine.

Major consideration is I need the best bang-for-the-buck I can find.

TIA

2. PM fr0ng for advice.

Really though, other than a debate about the term "assault weapon," you'll first have to decide if you want something on the AR-15 platform or something on the AK platform. From there do some reading about them and ask about anything you don't understand. There's so much to know that it's really impractical to just start talking about "everything" without any background knowledge.

3. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

AK is cheaper I assume?

My budget is limited

Really I just need someone to tell me what to get and why its good

I don't care if it looks good - I just need it to work should I ever need it to

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

What is your budget? Many AR's have gone above the $1k line, and AK's have gone up a lot since November 2008.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

these days you'll be paying an inflated price regardless of what you get.

and as for what you SHOULD get, thats really subjective to what you're going to use the rifle for. tell us what your plans are and maybe we can help narrow it down.

6. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I'm actually getting a job specifically to purchase a rifle and ammo (and probably a semi-auto handgun as all I have now is a revolver)

I'm very frugal and prefer to spend less rather than more

7. You have to balance spending less with getting a rifle that's reliable and accurate. A cheap rifle that's broken doesn't do you any good.

8. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

well there is a chance I may deer hunt with it if its suitable for that

I've never hunted before

I'll be firing it at my local range to become proficient

I don't intend to use it for anything else other than protecting my Constitutional Rights

9. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

reliability is a major concern

mainly I want to avoid spending 50% more for something that is only 10% more reliable

I don't need the best and shiniest but I need it to work and be accurate

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

AK's are cheaper than AR's, even with the inflated prices since the election.

If you are just looking for a basic thing, you can get one of these for $479 from Classic Arms.

[​IMG]

http://www.classicarms.us

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'd say just get a basic AR15. theres a sale now for a complete stag arms kit (minus lower receiver) for $6xx on ar15.com but be prepared to wait 15-20 weeks.

then you can call in to essential arms and get one of their lowers for ~100.

thats probably the cheapest kit available but you just have to wait a long time to get it.

12. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

:cool:

website says they only have a limited quantity so by the time I get the money they may not have it

13. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I don't mind waiting as long as I can get one before they become unavailable

Plus I don't even have the money yet anyway

14. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

also my brother-in-law has been storing his shotgun here so if I need to hunt I can probably use that if its more suitable :dunno:

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'd say spend the time while you're waiting for the money to research the AR platform.

this is a good website and thread you should read:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

16. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Personally I would get a Galil if I were limited to one rifle. I wouldnt get a WASR either way :o

17. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

whats that? do you have a link?

18. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

An Israeli AK based rifle that fires 223. $600 at http://www.classicarms.us/

19. The advantage to something like an AR is parts availability. When I ordered a spare BCG I looked at the LMT enhanced bolt, but decided to get a standard bolt because I can use standard bolt parts to fix it if I have to, rather than try and find LMT stuff. If you're interested in a rifle for a SHTF situation, things like that warrant consideration.

20. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

so I have to buy one from a FFL dealer, right?

21. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

forgive my ignorance, but under what circumstances would i need to change parts?

if possible i'd like to buy something that has everything i need in one package without having to swap out parts and such

I've decided to spend up to $1200 or so and "do it right"

I'll probably also get a less-expensive rifle like the $500 Romanian AK if I can get my hands on one

22. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

I just got a lower last week for an AR15. I need to find an upper kit now. Don't want to spend a whole lot but everything I've found is out of stock or back orderd.

23. Parts break at the worst time. I'm not talking about swapping parts out because you want to, I'm talking about something breaking when you don't want it to, and you having to a.) find a replacement and b.) be able to fix the gun yourself. Your comment that "I just need it to work should I ever need it to" led me to believe this would be something to practice with and enjoy AND use to defend yourself in a multitude of situations. In the case where you need to use the rifle for your defense, you would be best served by a rifle with readily available parts should something break.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

He means like if a part breaks. $1200 should get you a nice AR with extra mags and some ammo.

25. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Most any brand AR has interchangable parts. That's good for any situation where you may need to replace a broken or worn part, or just upgrade something on the gun. Any mechanical device can fail- a gun is no exception. If you're in a scenario where parts may be scarce (zombie apocolypse, extended power outage like what happened in the Midwest recently) having a gun with readily accessable parts can be worth its weight in gold. A gun doesn't bring home the bacon or kill the bad guys if it doesn't shoot (bayonet use notwithstanding).

If this is your first, I would suggest just buying a complete firearm- don't get into piecing together your own yet. Just buy a decent one. I personally own a Rock River AR15 and I love it.