GUN So I picked up my permit application today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rooster, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Rooster

Rooster y helo thar

In addition to the state application filled out...my town requires 3 character reference forms to be filed out, a signed waiver of confidentiality:ugh: to records such as medical history, education records, arrests, empolyment.

after the application is handed in an officer will conduct a background investigation which includes "neighborhood check:ugh::ugh:, employment check and personal interview"

Is it just me or is this a lot of crap for a SHALL issue state, where only certain convictions can block an app :ugh:

edit: according to packing.org "Even when there is no criminal record of any kind, the issuing authority is entitled to consider anything which pertains to the conduct, judgment, character, reputation, habits, behavior, physical condition, mental condition, etc., of the seeker of the permit – to the extent that it bears on the question of the suitability of the individual to carry handguns." Did not know that...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

3 character references :rofl::rofl:

3. Rooster

Rooster y helo thar

Yea, fucking pointless, like anyone would get refrences from someone that doesn't like them...

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

In Oregon they require 2 character referances, but they usually don't do anything with them.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's why I'm getting my permit in Florida. It's good in twice as many states and you don't have to jump through any hoops :o.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where I am in NY you need 3 charector refferences too, no education or medical records needed though.

7. Artyboy

The number that I got from my CCL class is 850-488-5381. Just call them and ask for an application. They take your name and address and send it to you. You take the fingerprint card that it comes with to your local cop shop. Don't even tell them what it's for. Send back the stuff that they ask for (copy of Driver's license, prints, copy of your gun safety class certificate or military records) then wait for it to process. A FL ccl is good in 30 states. Just check to make sure yours is one of them (they can probably tell you when you call that number). Oh and it'll be signed by Charles Bronson:coold:

8. Rooster

Rooster y helo thar

No good in CT:hs:

9. Artyboy

Sorry dude :wtc:

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NY doesnt honor permits issued from any but NY, lots of states in this area are the same way I believe. I think both CT and MA only honor there own permits, NJ I think honors Fl but thats about it.

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I needed to have 2 references here in PA. My friend who lives in the boardering county needed references but got his license instantly. I on the other hand have been waiting of well over a month for my license.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Centre county FTW. I got my non-res permit via USPS in under a week. Needed 2 references, don't believe either was actually contacted.

NH permit required 3, none contacted either.

13. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Why is it that so many states accept Florida's EASY-to-get permit? You'd think that a more widely accepted permit would come from a more strict state..

i live in florida, ftw.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Florida's permit is not as easy as many others. FL requires training and fingerprints while PA, for example, just requires some paperwork.

15. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

CT you cannot be denied for no character references. call an attorney that deals with pistol permits

16. Artyboy

But don't more states honor Florida's permit than any others? That and it's a little more than $100. A permit in Colorado isn't much harder to get but it costs $150 and you get put on some list for dangerous people.

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Of the "shall issue" states that recognize other state's permits, Florida's requirements are usually at least on par with, if not more stringent than, the other states. Most just look at the requirements (training, background checks, fingerprint search, eligibility) not costs.

It probably also has to do with the fact that Florida was the early model for the Shall Issue CCW "revival" of the last decade, so as states adopted CCW permits (or made it so people could actually get them if they already had it) they usually ended up either with repricocity agreements with FL or they added FL to the accepted list for the state.

18. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:coold:

19. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I think some states you can't carry with an out of State permit if you reside in that state. You have to get a permit for your state. Or something like that, but something that should be looked into before you spend the money.

20. Artyboy

I've talked to a lot of people in Colorado that have FL CCLs. The guy that taught my handgun safety class was the one who gave us the number and told us to call FL. Considering that he was teaching the class out of his gun store I don't think that he'd give us false information for fear of losing customers. He definately had a lot of knowledge about the laws.

21. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

FL, MI, SC, and PA ( or NH, I forget which) are like this. They don't recognize out-of-state non-res permits. MO, on the other hand, will take any permit for their own residents. Don't know about CO. Check packing.org or any local CCW websites (usually a group or two in each state).

Be warned: Law enforcement is not always aware of what is legal. I know some people in Missouri have had run-ins with LEOs that insist that out-of-state permits are not legal for MO residents to carry with. This is incorrect (and is even outlined in a flyer that the Stl PD and others were given) but it happens.

22. Rooster

Rooster y helo thar

I had all the forms filled out already and submitted the app today. We know a cop at the police station so maybe he can take care of it and push it along.

23. Rooster

Rooster y helo thar

I'd rather get people to do the stupid forms they want instead of paying for a lawyer...I will get one though if im denied for any reason though (ive never been even arrested)