So I need some help making a decision (BMW or MB)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Z., Apr 17, 2003.

1. Z.

Z. _____

So I'm trying to decide on a car to buy and I've narrowed it down to either the C32 AMG or a 3-series BMW. The AMG would be used and the BMW may be used if I find a car to my liking on eBay or somewhere else. Else, the BMW would be new from a dealer.

Are there any reliability issues with either of the two? Transmission problems, motor problems, other shit breaking, etc? Which would you say was more fun to drive based on handling abilities? Anything else I should watch out for? Just looking for a new daily driver and trying to get all the opinions I can.

Thanks.

2. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

i would go for a bmw 3series, the amg is pretty heavy i think and the backseat is small. i think theres going to be a new 3series sedan sport comming out. and of course mb dont have a manual trannny so thats weak

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Both are pretty reliable for a german car and incorporate the latest in safety and technology for their class. It really comes down to what you want in a ride and the type of driver you are. If you just want a comfortable everyday car, both are great but if you want a sporiter, more involving drive the BMW is the car for you. Both have marginal moddability with that being mostly limited to cosmetic modifications.

4. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

MB Tend to have a more classy/adult look to them compaired to BMW which are more sporty looking. The AMG C32 is MB version of the BMW M3. So if your choosing between a new 3series or a used C32 the C32 is going to have better bang for the buck. Check out http://www.c32life.com/ for more info. I'd choose a C32 over a standard 3series but not over a M3.

5. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

I've always loved the C32 AMG's ... they just look awesome. I've never driven one though.

I have driven E30/36/46 M3's though... and i must say... they're quick, but w/o mods they feel like luxury cars to me. the E30 the least...

6. Z.

Z. _____

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

Guess I should have specified in the first post that I am also considering the M3 when thinking of the 3-series, even if it's of the M line of cars.

From the sound of it, I think I'll be going with the BMW. I'm definitely looking for a sportier ride over anything else and since auto-x events are pretty common 'round here in the summer, I'd like to have something I can take up there and feel satisfied competing in -- not a heavier car like the C32.

TurboDerek: thanks for the link. :bigthumb:

7. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

c32 is sweet but two problems:

- a bit too conservative
    - automatic only

if c32 came with flared fenders like the e46 m3 and a manual or smg-type tranny.. i'd be a lot more likely to buy one

another great thing about amg cars is that they're resale seems to be unparalleled. look at how much old c36's still go for

8. daft punk

daft punk New Member

C32 > *

9. daft punk

daft punk New Member

:ugh: a C32 would do much better in autox

10. Z.

Z. _____

Eh.. much better? From what I've been reading, it looks like it would be pretty close. From all of the places I've taken information from, it seems they both perform about the same: stop from 60-0 in about 120 feet, get from 0-60 in about 5 seconds, run high 13s in the quarter, weigh between ~3600 and ~3700 pounds, etc.

Looks to me like from there it would just be personal preference, whereas I prefer the styling of the BMW over the Benz. :dunno:

11. curiousgeorgeM3

2JZ: From the minute I read this thread I had a strange feeling you were a man of good taste. BTW, are we talking e36 or e46 M3?

PS: Do you happen to have any pics of the whole package of what's in your avatar? :drool:

12. Z.

Z. _____

Thanks. :bigthumb:

I'm speaking of the E46. The E36 didn't appeal to me as much.. seemed somewhat boxy in some areas and most definitely not as sleek as the E46.

Full-size can be found here if it hasn't been pruned yet.. (warning): http://forums.off-topic.net/showthread.php?threadid=628930&mode=linear&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

13. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

thing about these two cars is that in the end it comes down to what it is you want to do with your car. from the sound of it i would recomend you get the M3. the MB and the BMW are actually pretty much exactly matched in races.. i've seen many that result in either one winning by just a bit. however the major difference is that the C32 is an MB and MB's love high speed cruising on highways. M3's are more track friendly cars. thats why MB are big, heavy, powerful, and smooth. they haul ass especially the AMGs. same could be said for the M3 too except that it isn't built to do that like the C32 is. M3 is pretty much a race car that is also a road going car. pretty damn :cool: if you ask me. C32 can be modded and yes mostly with cosmetic mods but if you wanna shell out the money, Brabus can hook you up with one supreme automobile after they get done with it. Renntech also offers some awesome stuff. i'm not knowledgeable about BMW tuners so i won't speculate though i'm quite confident theres some good stuff that can be done with the M3 to make it even crazier.

14. curiousgeorgeM3

The one thing I will admit that MB has up on BMW in respect to these two cars is that the mods done by companies like Brabus and Renntech are pretty damn solid in the reliability dept. Due to the fact that the e46 M3 engine is already pretty high strung in stock form, I have yet to see a tuner that has done anything significant to the engine and still have it be reliable long term. I would feel completly comfortable slapping on a TT or SC to an e36 M3 but I would be nervous as hell to do that to my e46.

15. daft punk

daft punk New Member

you said 3series in your post so I assume a 330. M3 is a little bit quicker autox, with a great driver, but the C32 is overall a much easier car to drive, more low end grunt, and very neutral handling.

16. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

It would do better than a regular 3 series, but not an M3.

For me, I would go with an M3 if your price allowed it, but if you can get a better deal with a C32, go for it, its a pretty sweet car, the only thing that its missing is a manual gearbox.

17. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

330? Maybe.

325? Don't kid me...

Regardless, I would still take the C32. It's about as 'cool' as a Benz can get for anyone sub-40, and it can haul some pretty decent ass. Oh, and compaints about the rear seats of the C32... I highly doubt it's worse than the 3 series rear 'seats'.

18. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

really? i had always assumed they tuning the two would be relatively the same since both seem to have some people out there who massively tune both BMWs and MBs. i figured that if MB has stuff like Brabus then BMW most likely has something of equal quality and reliability. i had never thought about the high strung properties of the E46 though... hmm.. shows me how little i know about BMWs though.

19. curiousgeorgeM3

I'm only referring to the e46 M3 here. It is well documented that in stock form it is pretty much pushing as hard as it can and still maintain some level of reliability. There is no tuner out there that I know of that has made any significant power gains with the e46 M3 without greatly sacrificing everyday reliability, but I could be wrong.

And for the record, "significant" power gains to me do not mean 10-15hp. I am talking major power like 70+hp. :)

20. curiousgeorgeM3