So I met a guy from Utah State at the gym yesterday

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TenSteel, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Track and field runner ... he asked me what I was doing.

I said "Good Mornings."

So he proceeds to show me his way of doing GM's ... apparently the public has "a lot of misconceptions about proper weightlifting and form." He showed me his version of GM's, with the bar held in front, knees slightly bent, and pushing the pelvis backwards wit the chest protruding forward. The movement itself, at least for me, was very slight ... almost like rolling the hips backwards without bending at the torso quite so much. Think of it as the way a football player positions himself on the line, waiting for the hike. It seemed to nail the posterior chain just as well, without putting a lot of strain on the lower back. He said that I'd be able to go down further as I got more flexiblity later on. The biggest difference though, was how slight the movement was compared to regular GM's.

He also talked about squat form, saying that it was better to squat with the feet wider and toes pointed outwards,
    like this: \ /
    rather than this: | |
    his reasoning was that the standard squat form puts a lot of stress on the knees, and this method forces the hamstrings and glutes to work more than a standard squat. I will try his suggestions for squatting on friday.

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

If he's holding the bar in front while doing GM's he's the one with the misconception, although since he's a runner he's probably not using enough weight to where thats a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.