TAT So... I may get fired because of...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by BlueDarkAngel, Sep 2, 2006.

1. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

My piercings!!! wahoo!!! /sarcasm

:hs: Soooo, I work for a large bank. I don't even work for a branch. My step father actually works for the same company but higher up and at a different location. (For reference, I'm 23, so it's not a daddy got me my job situation. I applied and went through the interviews without mentioning him at all.)

I work in an office, with no customers. And one of the higher ups at my location was on a training trip for the past 2 weeks with my step-father. And he gave a "friendly warning" to him that some of the managers at my location have been talking and I may be getting laid off because of my piercings. Specifically my nape. I take out both my eye brow piercings every day during work hours, and leave in the 2 in my tongue (that most don't know about unless i've told them) and I leave my nape in. Due to clothing restrictions, it is only visible on fridays. So my only visible piercing one day a friggin week may be getting me the boot. :hsd:

I can't decide if I'm upset or pissed off. I'm half tempted to speak with someone in HR now, prior to anything happening. But I'm really curious what excuse they would use to fire me, since they can't do it for having piercings. I mean hell, I've been with the company for a year now, and not one word has been said to me in that time.

My options are to attempt to transfer and hope that I can get into a better area in the bank that won't hold piercings against me. Or just leave the bank. because I REALLY don't want to resort to taking out my nape just for some bullshit like this.

Any thoughts on how I should handle this? I know this post was more me venting... But fuck.. I'm pretty bothered by this. :wtc:

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Banks are the worst. My wife had to take her tongue piercing out when working as a teller. She never got it pierced again as she didn't want to have to deal with taking it out for another job. I had to take my tongue piercing out for a job as well. Tongue piercings are the only things we've had, though we are both interested in some other piercings, yet the professional world looks down on them.

3. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

I was told when I started my job I'd have to take out my 3/4" tunnels, my 3 lip rings and my industrial for work, the others they didn't mind so much.

I mostly ignored them and now they've given up asking.

I'll lose my job when I get my sleeve done though, but it's more important to me than some part time job whilst I'm in college.

4. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

Bingo... =( All other days I wear collared shirts so you just can't see it.

I'm really kinda pissed about the whole thing. I know it's not a 100% you're fired, but just the fact that it's in peoples minds is irritating as all hell.

I guess I could just stop dressing normally on Fridays as well. But it just shouldn't even be an issue considering I have never had a single word said to me in the year I've been there.

5. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

See the thing is... I went through my interviews the same as I do now. As far as visible piercings, I take out my eye brow piercings, I leave my tongue in. I have 2 in my tongue and unless i tell someone, nobody ever notices. I was still hired and people knew about my neck within days. Because I simply will not take that out. Especially just for work. I love it too much. Feels like a part of me. :love:

They hired me like this, and now they want to fire me for it? None of it makes any sense. A couple friends suggest calling up HR first thing on Tuesday. (Closed monday because of the holiday) and arranging a meeting to notify them of the situation as well as some other things I've been wanting to talk to people about in that area. I'm thinking HR may be the best place to start so they are aware of it all, and could possibly assist me in transfering to another position in the bank to avoid all of this.

Plus, as far as I know, it's illegal to fire someone for just having piercings. Well assuming they aren't a distraction to the work environment or obscene or anything. So I'm really curious what they're going to try to come up with if all of this is true...

Oh and Nefarious, I'm not skipping you. ;) Banks blow. The only reason I'm working here is because I prefer a solid career that I know will last a while. I just... didn't see this coming? lol

6. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

From what I heard at my place, if they hired you with those piercings, they can't fire for for them.

They can if you get new ones, but if they were in place when you joined, I don't think they can really do anything.

7. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

Unless they claim it's for other reasons that they are letting you go. The only reason I know that it's in peoples minds is insider information from a higher up who notified a family member of mine.