GUN So I kinda screwed a guy over on gunbroker, can he do anything about it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Nothing serious, I had an auction up that I also had posted on a local message board. I got a lot of various PMs on the message board but mostly just shitty offers. With about 10 minutes left on the auction I recheck my PM box on the forum and it's a guy I've dealt with before who was willing to pay my full price. I know you're not supposed to end auctions early if you sell an item, so I had him get on gunbroker and try to sign up before the auction ended but it wouldn't' work because his legal address is a PO box somehow. Whatever, there's 1 minute left on the auction and it's at $275 I think. So my options are to honor the auction for $275 and dick around with shipping a shotgun, or sell it to a guy I know 30 minutes from me for full price $350. So I canceled that auction with like a minute left and sent a quick, but sincere apology to the auction "winner" explaining the situation about the local buyer. The local guy drove out to me that night and paid me in cash. Then yesterday morning I get this e-mail from the gunbroker guy
    I just ignored it, but then I get another today, a little more threatening :rofl:
    I want to just tell him the gun is already sold, too bad so sad but gunbroker has my address and my credit card #, so is there anything he can really do besides leave negative feedback and/or get me banned? I don't really care since I never used GB before and probably won't again except for price checking. I know, it sucks for him for missing out, and I should've set my reserve higher, but if the other option is making an extra $75, dealing with someone I know won't flake out, and not having to mess around with shipping at all, there's no real choice to be made. He has to go bid on more guns, big whoop.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

there should be no legal recourse and all he can do is leave negative feedback. sell it for 350. fuck him.

eta : but if i were him i'd be mega pissed :o

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah worst that can happen is gunbroker closes your account and bans your IP. Still it's a pretty dick move on your part. I've had people do that shit to me on ebay where I won shit and they decided no to sell it to me because they sold it for more locally, decided to keep it, or felt they did not get enough money.

I'm sure that guy is super pissed or will be super pissed. I guess just level with him and say it's sold and he's SOL. Your sorry, you know it's a dick move, nothing else your can or will do. No shotgun for you man.

4. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

This is why you put a notice that you reserve the right to cancel the auction at any time because it is for sale locally. If they allow you to cancel there's probably provisions for it in the gunbroker terms. Read it over and tell him to fuck off.

It's perfectly fine to cancel, but it's kinda shitty if you don't inform them in the auction. Either way, he's not out anything anyway.

5. The official gunbroker rule says that if there are bids on your auction when you cancel, you must sell to the person with the highest bid when you cancel. Of course, that's their rule and not a law, so other than the guy pursuing you with a civil suit for breach of contract, there's not much he can do other than give you bad feedback and have gunbroker close your account.

6. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I don't blame you, the guy came to you, paid more, and now you don't have to ship.
    Just set your reserve higher next time, if there is a next time.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

A seller can close an auction at any time. If the item has been bid on at the time it is closed, the item must be sold the high bidder. There is no way to 'withdraw' an item after it has a bid. We recommend that you do not close an item unless absolutely necessary, as this tends to irritate the bidders and can lead to negative feedback being posted on your account.

According to gunbroker's rules (I assume he met your reserve) you are supposed to sell it to him.

You did dick him around. The responsible thing to do would be to apologize, explain that you did not realize that an auction closed before it's scheduled close time was cancelled, and send him $20 or something.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

it is a dick head move and could get you banned from gunbroker. i see why you did it, even if it was the same $ (which it wasn't, you got more money and didn't have to mess with shipping) saving the pain in the ass of shipping is a big thing, but yeah i'd be pissed if i was that bidder too

some times we all have to decide if we want to do what's best for us or what is probably the right thing to do. i can't fault ya much under these circumstances but yeah, you are in the wrong and the bidder has every right to be pissed at you

10. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

This. You were wrong, but shit happens. Hopefully you can talk him into forgiving you and not leaving negative feedback.

11. skeletor25rs

If we had feedback on OT I'd give him negative based on is av alone.

12. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

He's probably pissed because there was another 870 that sold at the same time for $210 with only one bid he probably could have got.

13. Me too.

14. xpinchx

It's leftover from av bet, too lazy to change it back. If it disturbs you guys so much make me a new one and I'll switch it.

15. skeletor25rs

Yeah, now that sucks.

16. [​IMG]

17. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

figure your shit out before you go to gunbroker IMO.

18. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

General common law would say that you did nothing illegal, but I'm not sure if you modify the default rules for auctions by posting an item on gun broker. CL says an auction is with reserve and you have the right to cancel the auction up until close.

19. skeletor25rs

I ran the numbers, that is 1000000 times better than his current aviter.

20. Buzz Killington

As noted above, the specific rules of Gunbroker state that a bid (presumably meeting the reserve) wins, regardless of when the auction closes.

Specific > general

21. xpinchx

I need bright colors so I can find my posts faster, and it's not av sized. :rofl: You guys must be pretty homophobic for it to bother you that much.

22. Admitted

I see that, but it is still up in the air about whether there is a K between a seller and gunbroker, changing the default rules, when a seller lists an auction. Just because they have it listed in their "rules" doesn't mean it's actually binding.

23. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Like everyone is saying, he really can't do anything, but you are a huge asshole.

I'll be honest I would be furious if I was thinking I was gonna get a good deal online and the seller decided to back out because someone local showed up. It's a scum move, if you don't want to deal with shipping or honor your word, don't sell things online. Sell them locally and wait for a local buyer. This is the reason I hardly buy things online (auctions) still, is because of this shit that you are doing.

Not enough honest, moral people left to sell stuff.

If it's not obvious I have been screwed over MULTIPLE times, so this kind of stuff doesn't sit too well with me

24. Buzz Killington

I see mutual offer and acceptance in a mutually-agreed upon format/set of rules (the Gunbroker format). According to Gunbroker, the offer is accepted upon a suitable bid. It might be increased by further bidding, but if the reserve is hit, you have acceptance.

25. Admitted

If the offer was accepted upon a suitable bid, you'd have multiple K being made if another submitted a bid after. Acceptance is when the hammer falls, always, with or without reserve. Posting an auction is an offer solicitation. If anything they just change it to once the reserve is met, then the auction becomes a 'no reserve' auction. This is all just speculation as I don't know when/if they make you agree to a TOS at any point in time. They can't apply additional rules to their TOS retroactively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.