A&P So I just started photography school... :noes:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Oct 1, 2006.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I work at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, and after working there for a year, you can take classes for free.

So, I used my real bachelors degree to get me out of all the BS general ed classes, and am starting towards my bachelors in Photography!

This semester: Introduction to Photoshop, and Fundementals of Photography! :noes: :noes:

should be interesting...

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

:cool: When I was in photography school it was "Introduction to the Darkroom" and "Fundementals of Photography" for the first semester. We learned the difference between twin lens reflex, single lens reflex and view cameras. I remember we also learned how to use a handheld light meter. My how things have changed.

3. joy division

joy division New Member

I'm going into the art institute of denver jan 9th....got out of all gen ed classes and advanced placement into photo so that saves me tons of dollars.

4. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

I'm taking a photography class at the local community college, and we're only using film cameras and learning darkroom techniques. I'll probably never use a film camera or steo foot in a darkroom after this class, but I really wanted to learn the old school stuff to help me with the digital photography and pic editing.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thats awesome Nozoki... I'm the opposite. Used to have my own darkroom in my apartment, developed and printed all of my own stuff, but never made the transfer into digital...

Now I'm getting the chance to do that the right way...

should be a blast...

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Nice, I'm gonna be taking that class next term as well. Sounds exactly like one offered at my CC.

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

I took a photography class in HS that did Darkroom and Film cameras only. I wish i would have paid more attention, i only had a point and shoot at the time so i really didnt listen to all the lectures on Aperature and lens types because they didnt apply to me. At the CC they only offered a Darkroom Film Photography class and i was dissapointed because I like Digital photography and messing on the computer

8. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft OT Supporter

is there a good chance at being a good photographer without taking any classes??

9. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

yes...especially with digital slr's because its soo easy to learn from your mistakes.

10. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

they didnt have loaner SLR's for students to use? what a worthwhile class

11. joy division

joy division New Member

Yes.

The thing about art institute is its geared towards making you a commercial artist, not fine art...so they have classes on marketing, small business law, etc etc which really help you get a grasp on what the fuck you need to do to make money as a photographer.

..Plus over a million dollars worth of equipment you can check out, a great career placement program, a huge studio and some amazing printers....at least at the denver one. If I didnt refuse to live in the south Id probably think about the savannah college of art and design.

12. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft OT Supporter

out of curiosity.. is there alot of money to be made being a commerical photographer?

13. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

shittons, but you've got to be damn good at first marketing yourself, then photography ;).

14. joy division

joy division New Member

If you are a people person and a slick tongued sales man...or one of the best photographers around...or know the right people...

15. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

All the money is in commercial photography.

I think only recently in the past year or so did a landscape picture sell for around $1.2 million, the first ever to hit that mark.

16. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

good luck to everyone beginning classes! i just started full time in commercial photography classes and love it so far :hs: