MMA so i just signed up for boxing/kickboxing

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Leon Philps, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Leon Philps

Leon Philps OG Lurker

at city boxing (www.cityboxing.com)
    with trainer brandon vera (fought in ufc)

ive been preparing for awhile running 3miles a day and 3 day split lift but damn the training 1st day there was crazy and i loved it hah.

anyways thought i'd share for anyone transitioning from a standard routine at 24hour gym or w/e to a boxing gym.

its 79$ a month i was wondering also how are the prices for you guys that train at your gyms? was this a good price? my last question is, do you guys still incorporate lifting in addition to training and how much?

i know its not the f&n forums but before signing up to train i was just doing 3 miles a day and pretty much the 3 day 5x5 christopher's routine (deadlift, squat,chest on tues/thur/sun)

any tips or input appreciated :)

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

lots of professional fighters lift. Personally if I was in a MT or grappling school right now I wouldn't be working out outside of my training there.

Also fyi, a lot of the fighters that do train with weights for strength training typically stop lifting a few weeks before any fight. A lot of famous and successful fighters don't lift at all and claim that they're embarassed to because their numbers are so low (yet they're able to grapple and strike with force and endurance for long periods of time). This is for any number of reasons. IMO when I used to lift I'd feel much weaker on the punching bag or doing focus mitts with friends as a younger teenager. I don't lift much anymore (I do squats and DL's, but that's about it), sticking to mainly bodyweight stuff for upper body, to keep my muscular endurance at a maximum while maintaining strength and adding some on (albeit very slowly) along with some size (more a matter of diet).

I don't fight at all right now and don't plan on fighting competitively... but I also don't see any need to strength train as I rarely, if ever, encounter situations in which massive strength would really help me a whole lot. I also don't really care how I look (well I do but I don't need to be huge or have perfect pecs to feel good), and as many top fighters have demonstrated, lifting isn't necessary to be an effective fighter and in great shape. In fact, you can see that fighters who obviously use weights often tire easier (because of added size, and larger muscles = burn more energy, sweat more, etc)...

If you want to lift, I'd try sticking to a full body 3x a week workout. THat way your muscles will likely be less exhausted, as instead of focusing on one specific group of muscles per day and exhausting them with multiple workouts, you're just working hard at a single exercise for each muscle group (at least that's my understanding of the fullbody x3 workout). That way if you awnt to lift on days before you train it won't effect your performance as much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  3. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

I lift for strength and endurance. But then i dont cage fight, and any fight i encounter isnt going to last more than 30 secs except on an anomaly. I would rather have the extra strength to maybe break a hold in a bar fight where i would otherwise maybe have to permanently maim the guy to get him to let go.

Im not a huge guy by any means 5'10" 155, but im strong for what i have. and it works. just my .02

oh yeah, skeletor and I have the same strikers mentality, so you can see here how both lifting philosophies can fit into the same game

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nobody has lost a fight because they were too strong. My advice is to stretch well it obviously aids flexability but also aids recovery. All of the guys at my gym who fight on pro cards here in aus lift.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

For me, lifting 3 days a week is too much while training 3-4 days a week. Right now I'm lifting 2 days a week on days before my "easier" training days.

$79 is pretty good. My gym costs $90-110 but offers more different arts/classes. On top of that I got a great deal and ended up paying $125 for both my wife and I... but she only really goes to Savate class once a week.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I totally agree, and your logic has actually shed some light on the subject that I hadn't seen/heard from anyone before. I may be inspired to start doing some minor strength training now :o

7. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

:bigthumb:

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I don't lift...but only because I don't like it. I think it would be good for me if I could ever get it in my mind to enjoy it. I'm small for my height(6 foot and i fight at 155 and walk around at 165). I'm ripped but thats all diet and running.

I wish I liked to lift :(