So i just read mac101 on apple.com and.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sarge21, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

Having never owned a mac before, but in need of a laptop, i'm 100% sure i'm getting a mac :bowdown: tiger OS just seems so much better than XP.

between the 12" and 15" powerbook, the main difference is just screen size right? is the minute processing difference noticable?

keep in mind i am used to my pc P4 2.8 HT 1gig 2X10,000rpm SATA RAID 0

am i gonna be wanting more speed? i know the macs process differently and it makes them seem as fast or something like that. But i dont know the specifics. Can someone enlighten me?

2. rpark

rpark New Member

The new 15" come with DVD DL Burners.. DDR2... Screen... and a nifty littles.

3. Sarge21

any other thoughts ???

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Go with the 15". Expecially now that they have the improve displays are ultra high res now.

I've had no problems carrying my 15" around. I bought a neocase (http://www.radtech.us/Products/NeoCase.aspx) for it and can just throw it in my backpack without a problem.

5. Sarge21

:cool:case

6. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

It depends what you need your lappy for... i perosnally got the 12inch and love it. It fits like a notebook, and the screen, surprisingly isn't too small.. my justfication was if i ever needed a bigger screen, it'd be in my dorm room, and id get an external moniter than. The nicer thing about the 15in is tho, alot better screen res, according to apple there is now better battery life on 15, better ram, can upgrade to faster hradrive i belive..

I'd prob go to the store and check it out.. but to me the 15 in doesn't seem worht the extra 500..

7. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i just got a 15" pb, and love it so far.

8. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I think you might be disappointed with the speed, but overall it would be a good purchase.

9. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I have a 15", and I'm replacing it with a 12" that's coming tomorrow. If you are on the go a lot then the 12" is the way to go. It is surprisingly more portable than the 15".

I'm sure I'll miss a little bit of speed going from 1.67ghz to 1.5ghz, but I won't hesitate to take the 12" with me anywhere, whereas with the 15" there have been times where I debated whether or not I really needed my computer with me.

I will also be using it with a Dell 2405FPW at the office, so most of the time the screen size won't be an issue.

10. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

Get the 15 it is infinitally more useable, it's got the card expansion slot.

11. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

get the 15" the 12" resolution is 1024x768. sometimes i can't surf ot without shifting the page to the right to see a picture

12. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

1024x768 definitely sucks ballz

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

with the recent upgrade, the 15" stands out more because of its features than the 12" does. definitely go with the 15".

14. ohio_wookie

ohio_wookie New Member

one word for why the 15" is better, widescreen :). i dont think you will have any problem with speed. my 15" 1.5ghz 1gig ram is faster than my 3ghz pentium 2gig ram. just keep in mind that the x86 and powerpc architectures are radically different and 1.5ghz on a ppc is completely different than 1.5ghz on a x86. plus truthfully im not thrilled with os x 10.4, its not bad, its just not as good as 10.3, there are a lot of things that have become unstable on tiger. also as far as the 15", it is very, very versatile, perfect size. i think the 12" are too small and the 17" is way to big. but thats just me. i hope that helps.

15. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

better resolution and speed and not to mention that the keyboard keys only light up on the 15 & 17" versions.

16. Inferno

Inferno New Member

1.2ghz ibook as a desktop replacement for another year FTMFW!!!!

17. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I can guarantee you that if you pick up a mac and use it extensively for about a month, you'll use it more than your pc (given you don't have games, special programs or your work/school uses pc specific programs)

the only thing I miss from my pc is Goldwave...best audio editor made!