So I just installed my new hd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, Jun 8, 2006.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

Just installed and reloaded windows onto my new hd. I then reinstalled my old hd to move all the files. I opened my old hd in my computer and i dragged the program files folder into the shared folders icon on the left. Is that all I need to do so that all my programs are transferred onto the new hd and will load on startup?

Also I've heard stories about "getting infected" the second you sign on the internet after a fresh install. All my pc came with is Norton 2003. Should I be running that for now until I get something else?

I got ALOT of help so far on this board and I'm almost there!

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean when you say you dragged your old program files into the shared folders on the left. Can you reword this, possibly adding detail as well?

1. In any event, no, you have to reinstall the programs onto your new hard drive. With the exception of very simple programs, they all store their settings in the Registry, which is only usable when it is loaded into memory by Windows. And Windows only loads the Registry that was created when it was installed, meaning that the old program settings stored in the old Registry on your old hard drive are completely useless now.

2. Yes, leave Norton running. The good news (if you don't like Norton, that is) is that the 2003 version can actually be uninstalled, whereas the newer versions can only be rendered inoperable. Leave your firewall and your Norton Antivirus turned on and you'll be fine. If you've got a broadband internet router in your house, that is another layer of protection. Just avoid the digital backalleys and docks and you'll be fine.

I recommend two other pieces of software: Google Popup Blocker, because it's very easy to customize, and Mozilla Thunderbird to download your email, because its self-learning spam filter is fantabulous.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

1) use ghost to copy your hdd.

2) ditch norton for AVG.

4. deusexaethera

I'll concede the point about which AV software to use, just because AVG is so popular 'round these parts, which wouldn't be the case if it sucked, but how is using Norton Ghost going to let him selectively choose which files to recover, much less integrate his old program installations with his new Windows?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

he mentions no prob with old windows install... simply that he bought a new drive and installed windows.

I am telling him to ghost the old drive to the new.. fixing all of his probs

6. deusexaethera

Oh. Well, I guess he could do that, but Windows rots as you've said before; why not rebuild with a fresh install?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because it's WAAAY above his ability to do so.

This is one of those "if you had to ask, take it to a pro"

8. deusexaethera

Well...that might not be a fair assessment. The programs he used to have got installed somehow, and I doubt they all came from the factory. Installing software is so easy these days; pop in the CD, point the installer to a well-named folder inside "Program Files", and click OK.