So I just got a new car ...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by KW, Apr 1, 2004.

1. KW

KW Guest

What steps should I take to keep the paint looking new? It's an 04 Mazda 3s 5 door in Velocity Red (it's a dark metal flake red). I've had it about a week now and it's in need of it's first wash - should I wax it this soon, or wait a while?

2. legendary91l

legendary91l DP Ownz Yoo!

You can go ahead and wax it.

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

When the paint is clean (washed), does it still feel gritty to the touch (not compeltely smooth?) Then you need to clay bar it. :)

After that it could probably use a light polish Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover is good for this. Work more then you would a wax with a terry towel folded.

As for a wax you could go the S100 harley route which won't be the most durable, or you could use Meguiars NXT. It's good all round, and the overall reviews are all positive. Use a quick detailer after washing between wax applications to help maintain it (I like Eagle One Wax As You Dry, actually).

NXT wash is good too. :) If you want to order offline you can get some better products, but you can do just fine by buying things from stores locally. Just keep it clean and some wax on there and it'll look good. :)

edit: you can wax it as soon as you'd like.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you want to go all Meguiars, I'd go with #9, NXT or #20 Polymer and top off (after letting either NXT or #20 cure for 24 hours) with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax. It will be very wet and reflective looking with great durability. You can also go through the product list and product review stickies and see what you like in there.