So I just got a new 08 Civic Si Coupe. I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PaddoK, Nov 26, 2007.

1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

1) So what are the chances of it REALLY getting stolen? How much should I worry, what should I do to prevent it? Any basic tips?

2) Idle seems a little high when you start the car ~1700, but drops to ~800 after only a little driving. Is this normal?

Other than that, the car is pretty awesome. I'm very happy as it is my first purchase of a car. I'm coming off a lease of a jaguar x-type which is a slug compared to the Si.

2. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

1) i dont know anything about you area so i cant answer that. Make you sure insurance covers theft.

2) yes

3. agrabau

agrabau New Member

The high idle is a warmup process to heat the catalysts quickly and lessen startup emissions.

It probably won't get stolen.

4. Buy lojack

/thread

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The chances of any new car getting stolen these days is pretty slim; short of rolling the car onto a flatbed or investing a few thousand bucks in equipment that can copy your remote control's rotating keycode, most thieves won't be able to get farther than hotwiring the car before the engine computer will disable the engine. So what you really need to worry about is stuff that can get stolen from the car, like aftermarket stereos/speakers, wheels without good wheel locks, etc.

6. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

^^ what he said and congrats on the purchase

7. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

2) is fine. it's starts a bit high to warm up

8. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Also, is it normal that my reverse gear has a slightly higher whine than the driver gears?

9. agrabau

agrabau New Member

Reverse gear is straight cut, meaning that the gears aren't cut at an angle like on the 1 to 5 (or sometimes 6) The reason is that the gear is smaller in width and to maintain strength it's made in a way that's loud but strong. Many race cars have straight cut gears in the FW gears also, obviously not good for a road car since it's very loud.

Alex

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Jesus you should hear my MR2 in Reverse, it's like a siren it whines so bad. If it crunches or seems to "slip" in Reverse then it's got a problem, otherwise what agrabau said sounds accurate.

If you've got an after market head unit, radar detector, subs, amp, etc. make sure to cover or hide them while your car is parked. Most cheap thieves will glance in cars and if they don't immediately see something valuable they move on.

11. deusexaethera

The real reason the reverse gear is straight-cut is because unlike all the other gears in a synchromesh gearbox, the reverse gear has to be slid into place, which is not possible with angle-cut teeth.

The reason why the reverse gear has to be slid into place is because if it used a synchronizer instead, the reverse gear would spin in place -- backwards -- on the gear shaft whenever the car is moving forward, which would wear out the gear shaft VERY quickly.

In any event, yes, the reverse gear is "supposed" to make more noise because its straight-cut teeth don't overlap, and so they chatter a bit.

12. agrabau

agrabau New Member

The man has a point. FW gears are constantly engaged and reverse is not.

13. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Unless you live in a poor-ass neighborhood, you don't have to worry much about a civic getting stolen. There are plenty of more valuable vehicles to steal.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well the base model starts at over $20,000...not exactly pocket change to me. Regardless, it's a brand new car and if it was mine I'd be pissed if it was stolen. I've never met anyone who regretted buying a good alarm system for their car, even if they never had it broken into or stolen.

15. deusexaethera

I'm intrigued about the strength issue, though. I wouldn't think a reverse gear of any size would need to be made strong, since it's rarely used and almost never used hard. As far as I knew, the reason why racecars have straight-cut gears is because angle-cut teeth obviously introduce a sideways load on the gear assembly, and while V-cut teeth can avoid that problem, they are VERY expensive to make, so straight-cut is the best compromise between load-reduction and cost-savings.

16. amac88

amac88 New Member

If youre worried about it getting stolen, just get an alarm system. Do you live in an area where not many people have new cars? This is all youd have to worry about. If everyone else around you drives crappy 80s/90s rustbuckets, then yeah get a nice alarm. If you live in an area without much crime, dont worry about it, just keep your car in the garage.

17. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

My reverse is angle cut, but yes you do have a point in most transmissions...

18. deusexaethera

Really? How can they have an angle-cut sliding reverse gear without having the gear try to slide back out of place when you apply torque to it? That's the whole reason why angle-cut teeth don't work on sliding gears.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

alot of new cars have helical reverse as well, especially on higher end models. You think some douche in a 7 series wants to hear reverse whine when he backs out of his reserved parking spot?

20. im telling you get lojack they call you if your car is moved without your key.

21. agrabau

agrabau New Member

There is more torque load on reverse gear as it's moving the car from zero to whatever..

I can say this with relative experience rebuilding gearboxes with blown 1st and 2nd gears. Never 4th or 5th gear with the load being lower once the car is at speed and rolling.

The straight cut gears have 100% engagement at all times. The teeth do not roll into each other like helically cut gears which do not have the strength that comes with constant engagement.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  22. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

lol. lojack doesnt do fucking shit. you ahve to call in and have them activate it when your car gets stolen, by then its fucking gone.

and really op, the ONLY way someone is going to steal your car is with a flatbed, if they bring their own ecu like aem ems that doesnt use an immobilizer like your current ecu does or theyre REALLY good.

23. deusexaethera

Fuck 'im. That's what the sound insulation is for.

24. deusexaethera

Don't the angle-cut gear teeth make up for that by having more than one pair of teeth contacting at once, even if none of the teeth are 100% in contact?

25. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

that has to be the dumbest response yet. The KBB value of the car isnt what is important, its the street value. Civics and integras are two of the most stolen cars in the country, with specific years being worse than others.

The sad reality is that if a thief wants it, they're going to do whatever is necessary to get it. Your best bet is to get a decent alarm, insurance, dont carry/leave valuables in the car very often, and park it in a garage.