COMIC So I just finished Rahxephon...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by jinushaun, Jul 11, 2004.

1. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

What the hell did I just watch? :confused: Bloody hell, the ending explained and resolved nothing!

2. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

First off, did you watch the movie or the series? The ending is the same either way, but the series ending is presented in a more straight-forward manner. The movie ending requires you to assume a bit more - it's clearer if you've seen the series.

**spoiler below
    Basically, the RahXephon system was designed to allow the dominant Instrumentalist (Quon and Ayato) to reshape the world as they see fit.

Ayato is able to dominate Quon and is therefore able to reshape the world as he desires. He removes the Mu from the timeline and therefore the Tokyo Jupiter field that seperated his and Haruka's lives. The series basically shows this outright - Haruka and Ayato are living together with a child named Quon. The movie is set further into the future and Ayato has passed away, after a long life with Haruka. It's implied that the Ayato from the Mulian timeline is himself outside of time and that Haruka (in her old age) is able to go him from time to time, since he passed away. Reika says she wanders off. She could have just wandered off, but I like to think that she was able to go to Ayato. If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. Taken together, they clear up things very well.

Points of confusion: I've seen RahXephon about as many times as NGE, so I've got a pretty good idea of what may have confused you.

Haruka "dies" while Quon and Ayato are fighting - it's what gives Ayato his humanity back since he had become a Mulian.

The twin RahXephon and their Instrumentalists act as a sort of timekeeper. Like the weights on a grandfather clock, they balance time. Obviously, they can fix it too.
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2004
  3. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I watched the series.

Okay, I essentially understood the ending (i.e. big picture). But my main problem are these plot holes/details.

- Who are the Murians?
    - Why is their blood blue and what is the significance?
    - Where did they come from and why?
    - How do the Murians relate to us?
    - How did you know he removed the Mu from the timeline at the end?
    - In the last episode, the old man (Helena) basically said he created the Rahxephon mech, and something about him being over 1,000 years old. WTF? The show makes it sound what's happening is inevitable, but someone had to make the Rahxephons?!

Here's a big one: How does everyone relate to each other?
    - Itsuki is Ayato's brother? :confused: Clone?
    - Who are those three kids (Itsuki, Ishiki, and Helena) and their purpose?
    - How is Kunugi related to Ayato? What secret did he want to tell him over lunch?
    - Quon is Maya's (Ayato's mom) sister?
    - The old man is Maya's father?
    - That one guy was Ayato's father?

I had originally thought everyone in the future were various versions of themselves. Like there were 3 version of Ayato (Ayato, Itsuki, and Kunugi), Mishima is Haruka, Hiroko is that red-headed girl that hangs around Itsuki (the doctor), etc.

- So Haruka dated Ayato and his memory of it got erased. Why did Haruka age and Ayato didn't? Is Tokyo Jupitor a bubble trapping an alternative past? (ie. Haruka's Ayato died a long time ago, but this Ayato was still alive) Maybe this would explain why the one dude said Ayato would've been in jail if they hadn't taken him. WTF?

4. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Biggest thing to remember is that the relationships between the Mulians are not as obvious as those between their human hosts - consider Quon and Maya. Quon is much older than any human, but since Maya was originally supposed to pilot the twinned RahXephon we know she's her sister. That and, there's no hard and fast truth to RahXephon. Much like NGE, it's all conjecture and interpretation. Just enjoy it. :)

5. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I fail to see how you can get most of that from watching the series. :o Especially about taking human hosts.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  6. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

For the last question, I meant that... Haruka has memories of dating Ayato and she said that they erased his memory? How is this possible? Only thing I can figure is that they dated before the invasion, Haruka escaped (and then aged) while Ayato remained behind and had his memories esased.

I guess tons of shit happened during the Murian invasion and tons of people escaped. (Like something about Ayato going to jail?) Then those who were caught in TJ had their memories altered so they thought life went on as usual. Since TJ has slower time, Ayato remained young while Haruka lived on in yearning in the outside world and aged normally.

7. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

You're hitting close, but some of the things you're saying aren't quite right? Did you watch a bootleg or fansub by chance - I'm going by the dub in the official R1 release. That may account for some of the differences in translation.

First off, I can't say I remember anything about Ayato going to jail and I've been through the series twice and the movie three times.

When a Mulian takes over the body of a human, the human's memories are deleted. This is touched upon in the series and directly stated in the movie - The old man talks about how Maya becomes pregnant with Ayato while the transformation is underway. She decides to keep Ayato (who is still in the womb) even though she will have no memory of the father or why she is having Ayato.

Haruka dated Ayato right up until the time where the TJ field was formed and Tokyo was seperated from the outside world. I could pull up the date if I popped a DVD in. The scene is very memorable - Haruka and family are leaving town on the interstate when she hears the terrible news on the radio (they're stuck in a traffic jam), gets out of the car and runs back towards Tokyo. Then, she sees the TJ field forming.

The Mu erased (Or began to, and only selective parts of it were deleted) Ayato's memory when he goes back to Tokyo before Operation Downfall. You know, the bit where his mother places a bit of blue blood on his lip and he goes crazy? I am assuming that's the time where he turned. At any rate, he was human before returning to Tokyo and Mu afterwards.

Also keep in mind Ayato is a special case. As a child of a Mulian and the destined pilot of a RahXephon, he fit into the Mulian agenda moreso than the average human. I believe, and this is only conjecture, that is why Ayato retained most of his memories and through them a good portion of his humanity.

From what I gather, there is some slight memory tampering with the children until they come of age and change to Mulians, at which time they are reprogrammed.

Hope this helps, feel free to keep popping those questions out. RahXephon is fun to discuss; there's so much that's left open to interpretation.

8. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Fan sub.

I guess I need to watch it again to catch scenes I've missed.

9. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

wow you missed everything :o

i really suggest watching everything again, the fansub i have translates the series very well and explains a few minor plot devices that western culture wouldn't understand. R1 dvds in MY experience either poorly explain these or end up just changing the dub script to work in things a western audience could understand. example: like on the boat when ayato and haruka are talking about the past in the dub i think ayato compares himself with rip van winkle. in the original he compares himself with some story of a fisherman who went on a undersea adventure for a 3 years but when he came back to the surface it was 30 years later. a little more fitting with the story :o

ayato is thrown into a cell after his blood test comes back + for murian blood. in like the 4th episode just as the xephon is being carried off by a group that is supposed to study murian/mulian artifacts. then a dolom attacks and mishima appears to him and he goes into a trance and calls xephon back.

i suggest watching the movie if you can also, and the 15 minutes quon ova(even though it opens up even more questions then it answers) since its what she experiences between picking up the phone on the bridge and meeting itsuki in the school room where ayato and haruka orignaly fell in love.

since the movie is set from haruka's point of view it explains things a bit better like
    quon, barbem, and why they are now in the human world(timeline). though it treats quon more as a sleeping beauty. which isn't really mutualy exclusive from teh series since the series is set from ayatos point of view, and his point of view is heavily distorted from his mother's constant erasures and the mayan god ixtlil's(mishima) influence with xephon.

:o i've seen the series ~ 6 times now :o i've also got 3 or 4 "cels" from episode 26 where haruka wakes up in the dream/muriam world and turns over to see ayato's "mother" :o

10. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

I wasn't even making the connection; I was thinking jinushaun was asking about Ayato being jailed while inside the TJ field, prior to Operation Overlord. That's why I was so confused... :o

As far as your cels, they're fan cels right? 'Cuz I thought RahXephon was completely digitally animated and no production cels exist.

/me is still trying to find some Ai Yori Aoshi cels. :)

11. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

the series was key framed and tweened on paper, then everything was either scanned in or put in via tablet tracings. all the paper was sold off. i was also gonna get an awesome keyframe of quon playign the violin in the seuqnece where she finishes the song the comanders daughter wrote, but they wanted $120 for it :sad2:

atleast there will be a conlcusion this fall or winter when AYA 3 should air :o

12. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

God, I hope so. They only did one little thing in Enishi to advance the main plot, and even it was only implied (Referring to Kaoru talking on the phone and later holding his back as though he were on the phone with Hanabishi)

13. awwhhdayum

awwhhdayum eh?

I just finished watching the movie, and this is gotta be the most confusing movie I've ever seen. I read the responses still confused about a couple of parts.

first, how come inside the barrier they age slower than outside?
    the whole thing about ayato's mom's story is confusing as hell, what's that one scene where she stands over a dead body mean?
    They didn't explain shit about the sleeping girl, all they said was that she tried to tune the world once and failed? so now she has going to destroy it while ayato fixes it? :wtf:
    I dunno there's too much things that just not explained enough.