so I just build my computer and....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by denverbroncos, Apr 17, 2005.

1. and it won't even turn on. Has anyone come across this issue before. I've checked the external power cable on another computer and that works. When I plugged it in to the other computer to check, I noticed that the power supply fan would come on and then stop. This doesn't happen with my power supply. I'm thinking it might be the power supply.

Its a Gigabyte mother board...with a P4 530 3.0GHz.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

ever build a computer prior to this one?

3. I have...and this is the first time I came across this.

Usually the computer would turn on and would go past post....or give me a sequence of beeps....but the computer not even powering on?!@?!?!?.....i'm gonna take the case back to the store I bought it from.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

check and make sure the ATX mobo connetor is fully in, and all the wires in in the ATX plug.

5. check

I took it out and put it back in. Removed the processor and put it back in.

6. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

is it on the right voltage. 120v instead of 230v

7. yah....its not on the 230V thats for sure.

There is no power switch for the PSU

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Verify you have the wires for the power button plugged into the motherboard pins correctly.

9. See I was a little iffy on that.

The connector on the end of the wires has a marking on one of the sides. In the Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro manual has no indication whether that marking is for positive or negative. I've tried switching the sides up and the computer still does not power on. So...in other words...yes I have checked wires for the power button plug

10. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

try taking any conductive piece of metal and manually connecting the power switch headers. it could be the power switch, motherboard, or power supply. try to narrow it down.

11. Lets just say if the motherboard did short. What would be the symptons?

12. PRIME

PRIME New Member

I had that happen once. In my situation, I had a mini atx case which makes everything a tight fit escpecially with a zalman sink. My cdrom happened to push my heatsink enough so the cpu was not seated. I had to trim some of the fins halfway down.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

okay.... checklist to check

#1, is the power switch connected the the motherboard?
    #2, if it's a new board, it may require an EATX power supply and/or CPU power
    (CPU power is a 4 pin connector on the MB that matches a 4pin connector from the power supply, EATX is a 24 pin ATX power connector, instead of the usual 20)
    #3 when you put the board in, did you make sure that the mounts for the MB in the case corresponded exactly with the screw holes, or might there be one that's touching the underside somewhere?
    #4 disconnect EVERYTHING, except CPU (pull all cards, harddrives, RAM, everything off the board) and see if it turns on (fan should spin)
    if it does, put things back on one by one until it fails (ive had times where i built one, it wouldnt turn on, i pull everything out and put back in one by one, and it worked fine... computers can be iffy sometimes)

if its STILL not working, you may have a faulty board/cpu/power supply

oh, and there is ALWAYS a hard switch at the back of the PS, 0 is off, 1 is on, make sure its on

14. never knew about Point #2...this is the case with my MB but the it had the 4 remaining from the ATX power connectors blocked off. I dont' know why. So the power supply is only using 20 pins instead of 24.

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

okay, you're fine then.. 20pin is normal ATX, 24 pin is needed for the newest P4 chips (i found that out when i bought a new MB and CPU, and didnt upgrade my PS)... how about the 4pin CPU power connector? I can virtually guarantee you need that connected, if you dont have it, it wont turn on

16. i GOT THAT 4 pin connector hooked up...i know that because i disconnected it and reconnected and it didn't turn on

17. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

okay... did you do the rest of the steps? (especially #3, make sure there's no short)

18. Robb

Robb Guest

had the same problem when i built my system, my prob was that i didnt have the power connector pushed all the way into my dvd rom, that was the only thing making it not go.

I had the fan start up then shut off too, make sure everything is properly connected then double check

19. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

take the board, proc and hsf out all as one, put it on something non-conductive, try to jump PWR ON with a paperclip, it sounds a lot like you're grounding out.

20. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

The wires for the power switch were labeled backwards on my case!

If my brothe rnever caught it, I would never have been able to figure that one out.

21. Grimreefer

Grimreefer Life Sucks ... and then you Die

Make sure u properly connected those headers on your case to the motherboard. It’s probably is that u connected the header for the power on the wrong pins. Read the motherboard manual.

22. Fixed

Alright so I took my laptop to the store and it was my power button that was not functional.

Got a new case and asked them to build it.

I knew I build this sucker right. Damn defective case.

Thanks guys

23. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:rofl: bad power button