So i just bought my first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Crazyjester24, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

I bought a 1993 Yamaha Virago XV1100 for 1642 with tax tag and title (1450 for the bike)....it has 24k miles, came with saddlebags, corbin seats, and a louder set of exaust pipes....and i met the guy today who traded it in for a new harley and he said that he put around 5 grand into the bike i didnt want to start on something this big..but that was when i was thinking of getting a sportbike but seeing as this is a heavier bike i figure ill be alright, i signed up for an alternate spot in a msc 2 weeks from now..until then im having a neighbor teach me the basics...unfortunately i cant get pics at the moment but when i do ill be sure to post them

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  2. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

:bigthumb: on picking a Virago (what can I say, its my personal favorite bike) but an 1100 might be a bit much for a first time rider. Dont let the fact that its a heavier bike fool you though; just because its a cruiser doesnt mean that when you twist the throttle it wont jerk you out of the saddle. You've already bought the bike obviously (and congrats on getting a good deal by the way :bigthumb: ) so theres not much that can be done, so the best advice I can give you is to take it slow and easy for awhile and not to get too happy on the throttle. Just keep in mind that just because its a cruiser doesnt mean that it wont keep up with anything out there. And be safe man.. Id hate to see another Virago rider get hurt.

3. machine81

machine81 New Member

Congrats!

Big bike, take it slow for a couple months.
    ...and wear your gear.

4. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i plan to haha....all i have right now is a pair of gloves and a helmet...but i plan on getting a shitload more

5. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

just started riding today....its alot harder than it seems but im getting it down...we rode to my old high school and i practiced stopping and starting and getting used to my clutch and what rpms are the best to start at...and then after another like 30 minutes of practice we went dont the road a ways and got some food...my neighbor told me that his bike (a harley) is a 1600 buts bored(sp?) out to be an 1800...and i thought 1100 was big :dunno:

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

What Harley is 1600cc? I thought they sold 883, 1200, and 1440cc?

If you think that's big, look into the Triumph Rocket III. It has a 2300cc engine. That's 2.3L, a lot of cars have smaller engines than that.