So I Installed OSX....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Aug 24, 2008.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

On a PC.

So what do I do next to get that 'I'm better than a PC' experience? The dock is kinda cool, but is there more?

2. ady

ady New Member

Just use it for your normal things and see how you get on with it. The lasting appeal of OSX comes through prolonged use and the change in approach that Apple have over Microsoft towards computing use.

If you want tricks, neat applications and other interesting features listed either get a guide to OSX book or check out the many sites and podcasts devoted to such things.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

expose, son

4. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

expose, dashboard, spaces, finder, spotlight, automator

open things up and see what they can do, apps are located in your app folder, utilities is a folder inside that that has some fun toys as well.

6. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

try using quicksilver

there are a million sites on the web that are like "guides for switchers" and "essential apps for switchers" and stuff like that.

i found that i'm a lot faster with stuff on a mac, especially with quicksilver and the built-in keyboard shortcuts.

i also found that the software is better. on a PC, if you want to find an app that does something, you get flooded with millions of shitty one-off programs that spam spyware all over your system, have shitty interfaces, and seem to be more about making a quick buck than actually doing something well.

for the mac, you can find software - usually for free - that will do exactly the kind of stuff you want to do in a neat little package. when the software costs money, it's usually for a good reason and you never regret buying. a good example of this is isquint and visualhub. isquint was free and worked well, but i needed a little more. so i bought visualhub (the "free" version) and i'm totally happy i did.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

+1. quicksilver is an amazing app that takes a little bit of time to get the hang of. at first it just seems like a launcher with a cool interface, but once you start trying out different plug-ins you really see the power in it.

spotlight is pretty slick too. Vista now has a very similar feature where you can search in the start menu or something, but spotlight is cool in that it'll index your instant messages and other stuff if you want it.

8. a-money

a-money OT Supporter

finder

i cant even look at windows explorer the same anymore

9. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

vista's is *almost there*. it's a shame, because i really want it to be as good as spotlight...it's just not as fast and it's not customizable (i.e. in spotlight, you can tell it to load music first, apps first, etc)

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

spotlight is ftw

11. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Finally got the sound working lastnight. Evidentally Macs dont use PCI devices, so my PCI sound card wouldnt work. I bought a USB sound card for $20, and it works fine.