MMA so I hit up the boxing gym today

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, May 15, 2007.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah I wanted to start working with this coach thats from england that I heard is really good. I met him and I thought I was gonna suck in there eyes because im mostly BJJ and Karate. So I hit them up and I took to it pretty well we were both suprised. He changed my stance up a little bit and was happy with my jab and cross but said we need to work alot on hooks and defense.

I was there for two hours today just to get my feet wet. So im gonna start going m w f for the rest of the month to see how I progress.

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

3. GhostRidah

GhostRidah Call Kenny Loggins because you're in the danger zo

Keep us updated, what gym is this and coach's name?

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

5. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

boxing is fun. are you going to jump right into sparring, or just work on your form for a while?

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

im gonna work on my form and stuff for awhile first at lest a good month Im already used to striking with kicks and hands but Ive become more of a brawler then anything. I know my weaknesses and by training in boxing I can polish alot of them out.

My jab is slopy and I leave my punches out there
    I load up my punches alot of the times
    I telegraph with my hand technique
    My defense is mediocre
    Hand speed is decent
    I dont know how to use my range effectively so I jam my punches up.

Those are the things I need to work on and I know boxing can do that for me. Right now im not in a hurry to get into any mma events or striking events Im polishing out some things I need to work on that I saw from my first fight and then after I get that done Im going to start working on my ground game very hard to get ready for naga thats coming up. Im going to focus on grappeling for awhile but im going to get to the gym and do 2 hours a day of boxing 3 - 6 times a week. As much as possible to polish up my striking.

Really im just working on all aspects of my game. I know what I want to do as far as my grappeling game goes and I know what I need to do to get there. So Im going to focus on that primarily then work my take downs. By the time im done with that in a couple of months I will be ready to do some ametuer boxing events and eventually ametuer muay that. My big plan is to get all the kinks out of my game in the next year or two so I can start competing in pro mma and not be under prepared. or have one of those records that fucks you over

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Hooks and uppercuts are the punches I had most trouble with getting right.

Jabs my trick with them was to throw it 'like a rubber band' straight out and straight back to the chin practice this a bit and its second nature. Alot of the boxing range stuff is a little off for MMA because of the kicks and takedowns you are best to stay on the outside a bit further then you think. Inside boxing skills like rips and uppercuts are useful in clinches but not as useful as MT skills.

8. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah my jab and cross are pretty solid but im having trouble with the hook and upper cut I was working on combinations today do that was pretty cool

9. Placebo

Placebo New Member

What's happening. The big thing, especially with those punches, is hip movement. Make sure you are completely opening your hips up in all of your punches.

10. GhostRidah

GhostRidah Call Kenny Loggins because you're in the danger zo

I have the same problem, wish I could train and work on improving that.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

my jabs become alot crisper and so has my right hand. The only problem im having still is my range Im not jaming up my punches anymore but now im to far out.

Im starting to develop a nice hook and a nice uppercut as well still real sloppy cuz im new at it and im learning how to throw hand combinations better. I still need to work on my foot work and defense though.