So I hit a minor wall in running last night v. newb running crew

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Abomb, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

Interesting experience to say the least. I am training for 3 miles in just under 18 minutes. The most I have ever ran/jogged in my life has been one mile. My best 1 mile time has been like 10:30 in junior high :o. I did my first mile in 9'40. That alone was a personal record.. so my gf and I ran that mile with her timing me then we walked 800m as a cooldown. Then she forced me to run another mile. By the 3rd lap (4 laps = mile on this track) I was dead. Everything hurt. Legs, lungs, head etc. On my final lap, I was complaining and bitching out and just coming to a dead stop every 75m or so. Everytime I stopped my girlfriend got behind me and started shoving me hard as fuck. She ended up shoving me 5-6 times and calling me a little bitch and referencing how a girl was easily out running me :rofl:. She would not let me quit no matter what.

Which brings me to the point of this thread:

I guess I have never really experienced what it is like to be truly mentally tough. Last night I received the tiniest of samples of what it will be like to be of sound metal toughness. Hitting that minor wall of feeling like death and pushing through it (ie forced to but regardless) was a shock and a mind expanding experience. It only shows me that I have never really pushed very hard physically in life in the weight room or on the track. Running and cross country crew already know infinitely more about this than I do but for those that never get out and run on a regular basis, do it.

side note: what is proper breathing technique for running long distances ? How should my arms chest legs and head be held while running? Any other pointers? I am going to get 3 miles in under 18 minutes but I want to be able to put away 5-6 miles in a session.

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Dam everyone is startin to do cardio now. :hs:

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yeah but I started doing it for the marines :p

what I have noticed from 4 straight days of cardio: (and only 2 miles a day, im not even to 5-6 yet)

erection quality is way way up, libido is rising, energy is rising, stress is greatly reduced, mental clarity is improved, mental toughness via really pushing yourself is improving, soon bf % should be dropping :x:

OH AND HUNGER IS THROUGH THE FUCKING ROOF.

4. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

My experiences as well (minus the joining the marines)

5. jmezz

I thought you were in school why are you joining the marines?

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

In 2 or 3 weeks you'll start to notice major improvements. I remember when I first started getting serious about cardio, my girlfriend could SMOKE me when it came to running... I was DYING.

Now I am always having to wait on her and she complains I'm going too fast. There is a street named "Cryer" and I tell her that she needs to buy a house on that street because it fits her every time we run past it :rofl:

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I am in school. Marine corps officer baby im going to go in as a 2nd lieutenant soon as I get my degree. I am in the application process at the moment.I was going to try for aviation school but my family history is more tanks and infantry and if I dont get a pilot slot I dont want to be stuck in the aviation side not flying for 5 years

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

thats bad ass man. My woman used to run cross country for 4 years. She wasnt even breathing hard after 2 miles. She is actually going to coach me to a 3 mile 18 min run time. Having her there behind me shoving me calling me a pussy bitch when I try to quit is a god send. She was getting violently angry with me for wanting to quit and stop. :bowdown:

oh and I missed the cryer part :bowrofl:

Should I run every single day or Do I really need one off day a week from running?

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I was running primarily to cut not improve stamina so I ran every other day and I never really killed myself but I had major improvements in stamina. I ran a mile when i was probably at my peak last summer and I did it in 7:20. For me that is SO GOOD rofl

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

7:20 is better than most of america id venture to say

I HAVE to get 3 miles in 18 mins for perfect score on my physical test. I know I will get 100% on any written exams they throw at me...

basically I need 3 miles in 18 mins, 20 pullups without letting go, and 100 crunches in under 2 minutes for a perfect.

I think my breathing and running technique needs serious work though

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I have some sort of meaningless running mantra I breathe to and say under my breath that helps me regulate my breathing. Most important i'd say is just consistancy

12. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I'd throw in a different form of cardio every few days to give your legs a break, like rowing.

And then there's CrossFit which has been all but formally adopted by the Marines. All joking aside, it is really good program to get yourself prepared both physically and mentally for the military.

13. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Arms taught but not flexed

Shoulders slightly back to open your lungs up

Keep your upper bodies weight over your pelvic girdle and lean forward slightly

Breathe through your nose and out your mouth

Keep your ankle "active" throughout your stride (in other words as your foot comes off the ground don't relax it completely and then have to flex it again as you strike)

Everyone's breathing rate is slightly different. Seems like most people breathe in about every 3 strides but i'm more comfortable breathing in every 5 so that's what I do.

14. jmezz

What are you getting your degree in?

P.S. send me your aifm.

15. synthetic

synthetic New Member

barely being able to do 1 mile to 18:00 of 3 miles .. is comparable to someone who can only bench 95lb wanting to bench 335

16. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

You're an idiot. I ran for like 2 months not even trying and I could barely do a mile in 12 min when I started and I'd almost broken into 6 min miles after 2 months.

I'm sure you hit diminishing returns but that analogy is not accurate at all.

17. Abomb

Abomb New Member

excellent advice. I naturally lean forward while I run so thats no prob. I like the shoulders slightly back idea that might benefit me a shitlaod.

18. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yeah I will have to check rowing out never messed around with that :bigthumb:

19. Abomb

Abomb New Member

finance. I am going to get my masters while serving.

haha nobody will send you their aifm eh? poor jmezz just pony up the cash.

20. Abomb

Abomb New Member

my cross country running gf said every single one of the guys on varsity could do 3 miles in 18 minutes and that I could do it but it would require daily running and dedication *shrug*

21. jmezz

No shit I'm trying my best at panhandling but no one is givin in.

Maybe I'll pony up at a later time, I'm ponyin up for better things. :bowdown:

22. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I wish I had a high altitude location to run at

23. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

If your just starting maybe a day or 2 of rest wouldnt be too bad but im sure you can run everyday, just make sure your refueling so your able to recover fast enough to run the next day

24. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Rowing sucks ass.

Try 500m intervals with 1min rest in between for 10 rounds.

25. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Keep at it abomb. I did CC and track in HS and now I'm trying to get some mass, but running is one of the greater highs in the world. Once you fight through that "wall" as you called it you will have a GIANT rush of endorphins and be on top of the world. So next time you hit the wall, DON'T STOP. No matter how slow just keep running(one foot on the ground at a time) till you hit your 1600m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.