MMA So i have this huge submission tournament next sat on the 11th...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by MyLittleAirport, Mar 3, 2006.

1. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

And I can't stop thinking about it, I have trouble focusing on my hw (and studying which I should be doing right now) and sleepin because I day dream about the matches and how'll they turn out. This is going to be my first submission wrestling tournament and I've been to wrestling tournaments a lot but never felt such anticipation as this. Anyone got any tips? Food, stretching, warming up wise, etc?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

my advice for you is to RELAX!

do some tournament style matches wherever you train, and have your coach.. or a guy who knows how to count the points properly keep track. have it timed.. and everything. pretend youre at the tournament. this gets alot of the butterflies out

before you step on the mat for your fight.. make sure to have rolled around with one of your teammates on the practice mats they usually provide at these tournaments. you don't want to go from 0-100 mph.

eat well.. and bring water and stuff you can eat between matches. you don't know how long you'll be stuck there.

i have a tournament on the 12th myself that i'm worried about. but you just gotta tell yourself that the worst thats going to happen is youre going to lose.. theres nothing wrong with that. the only thing that you cant do is let yourself lose because you were too busy worrying, or had a lack of confidence. if you did all you could and still lost.. then it's no problem. just go back to the drawing board.

3. Pr0phecy

Pr0phecy Guest

Just a small question from a BJJ noob. How much experience do you have?

4. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Wise words... you gave me a ton of good advice before my first tournament.

Where are you competing?

5. MyLittleAirport

2-3 years of collegiate wrestling
    2-3 years off and on brazilian jiu-jitsu to submission wrestling

I got into BJJ first and then into wrestling because I heard of how hard the conditioning was and how it'll improve my takedown game and well, I just really got into it lol. You hear about a lot of wrestlers converting to BJJ well I was a BJJ guy converting to wrestling and loving it, so a lot of my commitment and time went to wrestling and I would do bjj/submission wrestling during the off season.

Pancrase Submission Tournament @ Broomfield, Colorado.

The thing is that the lowest weight class is 140lbs and I wrestled @ 125 so I've been trying to gain weight but I'm stuck at low 130's. But that's like the only thing on my mind that worries me is that someone is going to cut 10-15 lbs to get to 140's and then I'm stuck wrestling a guy who weighs 20-25 lbs more than me, grrr.

Thanks for the advice Chechen, I'll try to record my matches and post em online. :noes:

6. MyLittleAirport

Oh yeah, do you guys practice hard or go run hard the day before the tournament? I was going to condition all throughout the week till the tournament.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

I'm competing near orange county. you shouldnt do any kind of activity the day before a tournament. take a day off and just relax..

the last week before a tournament should be pretty relaxed.. and just about trying to correct little errors that you could see yourself making. you should have already killed yourself training before the last week.

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

what a coincidence, i have a tournament on the 11th, is it NAGA that you are going to?

And train like a mad man, until 1 week before the tourny, and then stop lifting weights and train light till the day of.