so i have like 2 grand for a laptop...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Aug 17, 2006.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

2. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Wait for the Merom.

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

why not a macbook?

ANything against Apple?

4. 7960

7960 New Member

in general I like vaio but IMO you can get that computer for less than $2000

5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

FusionZ06,
    Merom?

RaginBajin,
    I have nothing against apple at all, i've just had all pc's my whole life...but i'd be glad to look at a few apple laptops but i just dont know what to look for, and i'm really not familiar with them at all.

Where can I find one cheaper?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

Don't just pick that one because it's under $2k. Figure out what you want/need and pick one with only those options. Do you need a DVD burner? Do you need a 17" screen? Do you need a gig of memory? Don't fall into the traps of

-"I have $2k to spend so I'm going to spend it"
    -"......but I bet some day I'll use the........."
    -"a 17" screen is going to be nice when I........."

If those things are necessities then get them. But a wide screen is just as nice as a true 17" screen and it's cheaper.

Very similar for $1550.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7865223&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat64400050005&id=1142301194016

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

well, i know i'm going to have to have one that will still be fast over the years that i'm in college, and one that is reliable. i want a cd/dvd burner, the size of the laptop doesnt really make a difference to me, i just don't like small screens, i think a 17" would be perfect for me, even if its widescreen. id really like to have something with a pretty good gfx card with at least 256mb of memory for the card and at least 1gb of system memory. the main things ill be using it for are simple word processing, music, movies, games, and of course wireless internet. the thing i'd really like to find is a computer with all that, but with an AMD processor instead of an intel, but i havent found it yet...any ideas?

8. 7960

7960 New Member

why AMD instead of intel? as far as I can tell, if you factor in speed and battery life the intel mobile M processor totally kicks AMD's ass.