MIL So, I have Hurricane Duty...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Zourn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

And the damn hurricane isn't even supposed to hit this state. Also, Ophelia is only a Cat 1 hurricane, and only by 5mph. IMO, it's just a gusty storm. We all mustered today to survival moor the support barges (untie from pier and tie off in middle of river) at 1100. After 30 mins of checking all areas near where we were supposed to muster (Most of us were there by 1045) we eventually found out the muster location had been moved to inside the building instead of on the pier. We then had a 15 min wait for the CO to show up so we could do an hour of safety lectures and mooring refreshers. We were then told to go home and remuster at 0700 tomorrow morning to see if we even have to do what we were mustering to do today. Worst part is, I must for my first rotating shiftwork 12 hr day at 1500.
    Ggggraaah! I just needed to vent all that out.

Cliff's for EYOB: Teh Navy is stupid about hurricanes.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

Never underestimate a cat 1 hurricane... I live in South Florida and the eye of Katrina hit directly where I live, except at the time it was only a cat 1 storm and then about a day later became the monster cat 4 or 5 storm that it was when it hit LA.

3. Zourn

So they let us go after sitting through five hours of "goatblow" as the MasterChief put it. Luckily I was relieved of my shift this evening, which brings me into my first midweek weekend.

4. Zourn

What?
    Does this actually have anything to do with this thread?
    I was talking bout Ophelia, not Katrina.

5. evan2

evan2 Guest

Chris I hope you dont die

6. Zourn

Don't worry, it's not looking like it's even projected to hit this country, looks like God wants to punish the Canadians again.

7. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

you're right about the navy being retarded when it comes to hurricanes. i was at pensacola when ivan hit (well, i evacuated, but i was stationed there) and they had a great plan to get all the planes out, but they forgot about buildings and people, and the recovery was a giant clusterfuck. we didn't fly for 45 days, waiting for the brass to pull their heads out of their asses. rediculous.

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

well you guys did get hit pretty bad, you always get the planes out
    thats millions upon millions of dollars of stuff

i evaced.. was a great vacation to jax

9. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I'm glad the Hurricane didn't get inland in NC. We were out in the field on a our hill top base camp running patrols every night. The wind picked up for a few days and we get got hit by some rain a few times but it passed and all was good again. We all figured it would be like the movie Basic with the Rangers patroling in the middle of hurricane :)