GUN So, I had to write a position paper for my freshmen english comp

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Nov 12, 2008.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Tell me what ya think OTGC my format got all fucked up, forgive me.

Concealed Handguns in College
    The very heart of my position was best said by Thomas Jefferson almost two hundred years ago, he was discussing Cesare Beccaria at the time amongst his friends and colleagues, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” This philosophy still rings true with me today, unless we take the responsibility for our own personal safety, we will be at the mercy of the lawless.
    The police hold no obligation to protect any individual from bodily harm, up to and including rape, and murder. In the Case of [Warren V. District of Columbia 444 A.2d 1 (DC, 1981)] the court upheld “[The] Government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen, … absent [a] special relationship between [the] police and [the] individual, no specific legal duty exists”(2) This ruling absolves the government and its agents of any responsibility to protect us from harm.

The largest obstacles in allowing us to protect ourselves are “Gun Free School Zones”; these zones do nothing to stop school shootings, and in fact they only serve to make schools targets of opportunity. We as law-abiding students and citizens have absolutely no way of defending ourselves from someone intent on bodily harm. Virginia Tech Institute in Blacksburg, VA April 16, 2007 is a tragic example, of how feel good laws like “Gun Free School Zones” are hurting more than helping to protect the students and faculty of our colleges. Cho Seung-Hui was able to murder 32 people in two separate attacks spaced hours apart, before turning his gun on himself. Law enforcement personal were unable to deal with the incident. Had the school allowed concealed handguns on campus the attack might not have happened, and even if Cho still attempted the attack the body count would have almost certainly been smaller.

A common point of debate is that allowing concealed handguns on campuses would lead to an escalation of violence in the school. Concealed carry has been allowed at Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO since 2003 and at Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave, VA since 1995 and at all nine public colleges in Utah since the fall semester of 2006. None of these schools has seen any incident of gun violence. However, the presence of firearms has stopped firearms violence at schools on at least three separate occasions, not all of them college campuses. Appalachian Law School in Grundy, VAJanuary 16, 2002, Peter Odighizuwa shot three people dead before two students were able to retrieve their personal handguns from their cars and put a stop to his massacre without firing a single shot by holding him at gun point while other students subdued him and held him until the police were able to arrive (“Making Our Schools Safe”, par.4)

Pearl, MS in 1997 Joe Myrick was able to retrieve his personal handgun from his vehicle after student Luke Woodham killed 2 people and wounded seven others and prevented him from continuing his plans to drive to another school and continuing the massacre. Myrick was unable to carry his firearm onto the school campus despite his holding of a valid concealed handgun permit and being the vice principal of the school (“Making Our Schools Safe”, par.7)

When Texas Governor Perry was questioned about the new policy of Harrold, TX, Which allowed teachers who had received their concealed handgun license to bring their guns to school he stated "I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained, if you are registered, then you ought to be able to carry a weapon," (“Perry Supports School District” par.1) he also “expressed support for allowing Texans who are legally licensed [,] to carry their concealed handguns anywhere, including churches, bars, courthouses and college campuses” (“Perry Supports School District” par.2).

The statistics and real life situations prove that an armed individual is not an inherent danger or risk, nor a threat to scholarly studies because no one would know who was armed, because the firearms would be concealed in compliance with state law. In fact concealed handguns have been proven to reduce violent crime significantly. “A 1997 study by John Lott and David Mustard, Crime, Deterrence and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns, “Analyzing crime data from all 3,054 counties in the U.S. throughout the period 1977-92, Lott and Mustard found that, when shall-issue licensinglaws went into effect in a county, murders fell on average by 7.65%, rapes by 5.2%, robberies by 2.2%, and aggravated assaults by 7.0%. On the other hand, property crime rates increased 2.7% after the passage of shall-issue laws. Lott and Mustard conclude that criminals appear to respond to the threat of being shot by victims by substituting less risky, non-confrontational crimes (“Easing handgun licensing laws” par.16)

The licensing procedure to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License includes a number of factors that may disqualify an individual from obtaining a license, such as: felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication, pending criminal charges such as chemical or alcohol dependency, certain types of psychological diagnoses, protective or restraining orders. The licensing procedure also requires that you submit fingerprints and photos to the Texas DPS and FBI for a background screen (Texas Department of Public Safety FAQ)

In conclusion I believe the lengths that an individual must go to in order to obtain a concealed handgun license in Texas makes my point that we have nothing to fear from licensed individuals and that the colleges can only benefit from the deterrent of armed students and faculty on campus. I believe a healthy preventative measure for college campuses would be to abolish “Gun Free School Zones” and I propose giving those students and faculty who have went through the trouble of obtaining a Texas Concealed Handgun License the option of whether or not they wish to carry onto campus. Lets take responsibility for our own safety and remove the “Gun Free School Zones” and in the process make our campuses that much safer.

Works Cited

Elliot, Janet, “Perry supports school district's decision to allow guns.”, Houston Chronicle McClatchy
    - Tribune Business News 08-18-2008, eLibrary, William F. White Library, Del Mar College,
    Corpus Christi, TX., 17 October 2008,
    http://204.56.132.81:2202/libweb/cu...1&urn=urn:bigchalk:US;BCLib;document;15533228

McGrath, Roger D., “Making Our Schools Safe.”, The New American, Volume 23,
    05-28-2007, page 12, eLibrary, William F. White Library, Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX., 17 October 2008, http://204.56.132.81:2202/libweb/cu...&urn=urn:bigchalk:US;BCLib;document;140491599

Snyder, Jeffery R., “Easing handgun licensing laws: helping the public fight back.”, USA
    Today Magazine, Volume 127 n, 09-01-1998, eLibrary, William F. White Library, Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX., 17 October 2008
    http://204.56.132.81:2202/libweb/curriculum/do/document?set=search&groupid=1&requestid=lib_standard&resultid=11&edition=&ts=597ABBDE1F851A9B91FA8DEE0B76F9E1_1224295187477&start=1&urn=urn%3Abigchalk%3AUS%3BBCLib%3Bdocument%3B28954542

Texas Department of Public Safety, Frequently Asked Questions About Concealed Handguns,
    2000, 10 November 2008,
    www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (DC, 1981), Westlaw Campus Research,
    William F. White Library, Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX., 17 October 2008,
    http://204.56.132.81:2163/find/default.wl?spa=delmar2000&rs=WLW8.09&fn=_top&sv=Split&cite=444+A.2d+1+(DC%2c+1981)&vr=2.0&rp=%2ffind%2fdefault.wl&mt=CampusLaw

2. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I posted it in on topic as well if you want to join in some discussion. Wish I wasnt so cheap. It might be worth buying a sub to watch the cluster fuck this would cause in the main forum.

3. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

4. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

5. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

if you'd like, I can edit it for you. I'm a graduating English major, and supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

If you want me to edit it, PM me, and tell me when it's due.

6. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Thanks for the offer but ill pass. Being a freshman I'm not to sure about the plagarism rules and at the very least im pretty sure they would frown on an outside editor.

EDIT: On the other hand if you want to touch it up, and give it back to me AFTER this thursday, once I turn mine in we can maybe try to get it stuck in my local paper as a letter to the editor or public interest piece.

What do you think?

7. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

it's not plagiarism... simply some minor grammar tweaking here and there. :coolugh:

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

It's your paper and you didn't ask for it but I proofed it and made a few changes.

Concealed Handguns in College
    Two hundred years ago, Thomas Jefferson said, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” This philosophy still rings true with me today; failure to take personal responsibility for our own personal safety, we will be at the mercy of the lawless.

The police are not obligated to protect any individual from bodily harm, up to and including, rape and murder. In the Case of [Warren V. District of Columbia 444 A.2d 1 (DC, 1981)] the court upheld “[The] Government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen, … absent [a] special relationship between [the] police and [the] individual, no specific legal duty exists”(2) This ruling absolves the government and its agents of any responsibility to protect us from harm.

The largest obstacle preventing an individual from protect themselves are “Gun Free School Zones”; these zones fail to stop school shootings, and in fact, serve to make schools targets of opportunity. Law-abiding students and citizens are stripped of their ability to protect themselves by these. Virginia Tech Institute in Blacksburg, VAApril 16, 2007 is a tragic example of how “feel-good” laws like “Gun Free School Zones” are hurting more than helping to protect the students and faculty of our colleges. Cho Seung-Hui was able to murder 32 people in two separate attacks spaced hours apart, before turning his gun on himself. Had the school allowed students and faculty to carry concealed handguns on campus, the attack might not have happened or been stopped prematurely.

A common point of debate is that allowing concealed handguns on campuses would lead to an escalation of violence in the schools. Concealed carry has been allowed at Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO since 2003 and at Blue RidgeCommunity College in Weyers Cave, VA since 1995 as well as at all nine public colleges in Utah since the fall semester of 2006. None of these schools has seen an incident of gun violence. However, the presence of firearms has stopped firearms violence at schools on at least three separate occasions, not all of them being college campuses. On January 16, 2002, at Appalachian Law School in Grundy, Virgina, Peter Odighizuwa shot three people dead before two students were able to retrieve their handguns from their cars and stop him without discharging their firearms. Odighizuwa was held at by the students until the police were able to arrive (“Making Our Schools Safe”, par.4)

In 1997, Joe Myrick was able to retrieve his handgun from his vehicle after Luke Woodham, a student, killed 2 people and wounded seven others. Woodham’s plan was to drive to another Pearl, Mississippi school and continue his violent rampage. Myrick was unable to carry his firearm onto the school campus despite his holding of a valid concealed handgun permit and being the vice principal of the school (“Making Our Schools Safe”, par.7)

When Texas Governor Perry was questioned about the new policy of Harrold, TX, which allowed teachers who had received their concealed handgun license to bring their guns to school, he stated, "I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained, if you are registered, then you ought to be able to carry a weapon." (“PerrySupportsSchool District” par.1) He also, “expressed support for allowing Texans who are legally licensed [,] to carry their concealed handguns anywhere, including churches, bars, courthouses and college campuses” (“PerrySupportsSchool District” par.2).

The statistics and real-life situations prove that an armed, law-abiding citizen is no more dangerous than his unarmed counterpart. Scholastic endeavors would not be jeopardized because the knowledge of which individuals are armed would not be known due to the fact that the firearms would be concealed. In fact, areas that have legalized the carrying of concealed handguns have experienced statistically significant reductions in violent crime. A 1997 study by John Lott and David Mustard, Crime, Deterrence and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns, “Analyzing crime data from all 3,054 counties in the U.S. throughout the period 1977-92, Lott and Mustard found that, when shall-issue licensing laws went into effect in a county, murders fell on average by 7.65%, rapes by 5.2%, robberies by 2.2%, and aggravated assaults by 7.0%. On the other hand, property crime rates increased 2.7% after the passage of shall-issue laws. Lott and Mustard concluded that criminals responded to the threat of being shot by would-be victims by committing less-risky, non-confrontational crimes (“Easing handgun licensing laws” par.16)

The licensing procedure to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License includes a number of stipulations that may disqualify an individual from obtaining a license including but not limited to: criminal history, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication, pending criminal, certain types of psychological diagnoses, protective or restraining orders. The licensing procedure also requires the submission of fingerprints and photos to the Texas Department of Public Safety and FBI for a background check. (Texas Department of Public Safety FAQ)

The lengths that an individual must go to in order to obtain a concealed handgun license in Texas validates the point that the greater public has nothing to fear from licensed, law-abiding citizens carrying a concealed firearm. Would-be criminals would re-consider their violent intentions with the knowledge that their potential victims may also have the means to defend themselves. A healthy, preventative measure for college campuses would be to abolish “Gun Free School Zones” and give those students and faculty who have obtained a Texas Concealed Handgun License, the option to carry a concealed firearm on campus. The data supports the conclusion that doing so would reduce the incidence of violent crime without danger to the public.

9. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

THT i way better at english comp than i am :p

10. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

will post editing tomorrow morning afternoon

11. THT

You'll probably pwn me...I was premed/business in school.

12. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

not sure you're being cereal...

anyway, here's my edited version:

Concealed Handguns at College​

Nearly two-hundred years ago, Thomas Jefferson posited the view that, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms […] disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. […] Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man” (insert your citation here). This philosophy still rings true today; unless we, the citizens, take responsibility for our own personal safety, we will be at the mercy of the lawless.​
    The police hold no obligation to protect any individual from bodily harm, up to, and including, rape and murder. In the 1981 case of Warren V. District of Columbia, the court ruled: “[The] Government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen, […] absent [a] special relationship between [the] police and [the] individual, no specific legal duty exists” (insert document name here 2). This ruling absolves the government and its agents of any responsibility to protect its citizens from harm.​
    The largest obstacles in allowing United States citizens to protect themselves are “Gun Free School Zones.” These zones do nothing to stop school shootings; in fact, they only serve to make schools targets of opportunity. As a consequence of these gun-free zones, law-abiding students and citizens have absolutely no way of defending themselves against somebody intent on bodily harm. The Virginia Tech massacre on April 16th, 2007, is a tragic example of how feel good laws like “Gun Free School Zones” are hurting, more than helping, to protect the students and faculty of our colleges. Cho Seung-Hui was able to murder 32 people in two separate attacks before turning his gun on himself. Quite obviously, law enforcement personal were unable to deal with the incident. Had the school allowed concealed handguns on campus, the shootings may have been averted. And, even if Cho still attempted the attack, the body count would have almost certainly been smaller.​
    A common point of debate contends that allowing concealed handguns on campuses would lead to an escalation of violence on the campus. Concealed carry has been allowed at Colorado State University-Fort Collins since 2003, at Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave, VA, since 1995, and at all nine public colleges in Utah since the fall semester of 2006. None of these schools has seen any incidents of gun violence. Contrastingly, the presence of legally concealed pistols has stopped firearms violence at schools on at least three separate occasions- not all of them college campuses. At Appalachian Law School in Grundy, Virginia, Peter Odighizuwa shot three people dead before two students were able to retrieve their personal handguns. Without firing a single shot, the two students held Mr. Odighizuwa at gun-point until another student physically restrained him. Later, law enforcement agents were able to arrest the shooter, putting an end to a situation that could have been much more tragic. (Making Our Schools Safe par. 4) In Pearl, Mississippi, Joe Myrick was able to retrieve his handgun from his vehicle and put an end to student Luke Woodham’s shooting-spree. Woodham killed two students, wounded seven more, and had planned to driven to another campus to continue his massacre before Myrick intervened. Myrick was unable to carry his firearm onto the school campus, despite holding a valid concealed handgun permit. (Making Our Schools Safe par.7)​
    When Texas Governor Perry was questioned about the new policy of Harrold, Texas, that allowed teachers who were licensed to carry concealed pistols, Perry stated, "I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained, if you are registered, then you ought to be able to carry a weapon" (Perry Supports par.1). He also “expressed support for allowing Texans who are legally licensed [,] to carry their concealed handguns anywhere, including churches, bars, courthouses and college campuses” (Perry Supports par.2).​
    The statistics and real life situations prove that an armed individual is neither an inherent danger or risk, nor a threat to scholarly studies. The primary reason that legally issued concealed-carry pistols are not a distraction is largely due to their concealment. In fact, concealed handguns have been proven to reduce violent crime significantly. A 1997 study by John Lott and David Mustard entitled “Crime, Deterrence and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns,” analyzed crime data from all 3,054 counties in the U.S. throughout the period 1977-1992. Lott and Mustard found that, when shall-issue licensing laws went into effect in a county, murders fell on average by 7.65%, rapes by 5.2%, robberies by 2.2%, and aggravated assaults by 7.0%. On the other hand, property crime rates increased 2.7% after the passage of shall-issue laws. Lott and Mustard conclude that criminals appear to respond to the threat of being shot by victims by instead committing less risky, non-confrontational crimes (Easing handgun par.16)​
    The licensing procedure to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License includes a number of qualifiers that may prevent an individual from obtaining a license, such as: felony convictions, and some misdemeanor convictions (including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication), pending criminal charges such as chemical or alcohol dependency, certain types of psychological diagnoses, and protective or restraining orders. The licensing procedure also requires that you submit fingerprints and photos to the Texas DPS and FBI for a background screening (Texas Department of Public Safety FAQ).​
    In conclusion, the many steps that one must complete to become licensed to concealed carry in Texas supports the theory that legally licensed handgun owners should be allowed to carry on college campuses for the purpose of crime deterrence. Healthy preventative measure for college campuses include the abolition of “Gun Free School Zones,” and for those possessing a Texas concealed carry permit, an option of carrying on college campuses. Lets take responsibility for our own safety and remove the “Gun Free School Zones”; an action, as the statistical data supports, that would make our college campuses safer environments for higher-education.​

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  13. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

main things I did: removed every instance of "I" in the paper (while your teacher might have wanted a "position paper," you can strengthen your argument by not using "I." When you make a claim that is far-reaching and somewhat universal, your argument holds more merit than simply saying, "I think ..." You are forcefully presenting your idea as if it is a well-known fact.)

Also, changed some sentence structure. You had some run-un sentences; nothing too major.

Your citations are probably your biggest weakness. You don't need all the legal jargon before a sentence, just write, "In the case of Roe v Wade, the judge ruled..." You don't need time, place, the ruling number, and all that shit.

Also, when you are citing a source at the end of a sentence, you don't need the entire article name- just make it clear what source you are pointing to in your works cited page. Also, you should use the Page # for articles in your citations, not Paragraph numbers. It is your teachers job to actually look for your source (they never do), so just put "(Williams 1)," instead of "(The Handgun Laws of Texas are Loosening, par. 15)." Also, if you have a compound sentence, don't put the citation in the middle of the sentence- you can just place it at the end, even if you went on to state something more after the quote.

I hope this helped you in some way.

14. LaFinduMonde made most of the smaller changed I'd recommend.

Also, the first time you refer to Gov. Perry, use his whole name. From there on, you can use Governor Perry.

15. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I'm all for it. The policies in place only ensure that honest gun owners check their firearms into the campus police department, and does nothing against those who are dishonest.

16. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

oh yeah, forgot to change that too :cool:

17. THT

Cereal. English major >>>> Premed or business when it comes to being able to write well.

18. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

what'd you get on the paper?

19. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

20. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

That's a paper? Seriously? I assure you that I'm not trying to be an asshole (this time :o), but I write posts in debate threads that are longer than that piece. What you have is an essay at best. :hs: