So I had the pleasure of training @ Southside Barbell w Bob Youngs and his crew today

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MaineSucks, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:)

holy shit, what a great experience - I still have the flutters from how much fun I had today. Trained with Bob and Ed [SIZE=-1]Rectenwald and 4 other dudes. Spent a little while bullshitting and getting warmed up, then Bob hopped on for his own sets at speed box squats (up to 455 doubles on a rounded cambered bar) and onto a thick cushion. Next up the three other guys got up on a traditional cambered bar - one dude worked up to a 585 single (prolly more, pretty heavy bar - i think it was more like 600). Then I stepped up with a sub-180lb lifter, he was my age.

Guys were surprised I was squatting without briefs but after a few warmup sets I had my form down - Had to work on holding my breath for the whole rep instead of breathing out on the push. Bob had me going wide as fuck with my stance. I pretty much never want to lift without a monolift again - thing is sick.

we then proceeded to work speed pulls on a box - where I learned my form was terrible. I was way too wide - Bob said it was obvious I had an olympic-trained coach at some point and I had picked up his bad habits.

finished up with some hypers and face pulls.

All in all, I had one helluva learning experience. I'll be canceling my Gold's membership after this break and hopefully be training full time up at Southside this summer. Its time to get serious and cause some damage in the 275 Junior class. Bob and those guys treated me like I had been lifting there for years. Amazing time
    [/SIZE]

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

sweet dude. make sure you do that meet on feb 4th with them should be a killer time. once you have a couple weeks with them you should be able to make pretty good progress on your own up at school

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Yeah dude, I wish I had more time to train with them this week. I have such a hectic schedule. I will be doing the meet, I gotta get my flight booked and sign up. They are getting pretty psyched up for it

4. GOGZILLA

its good to see bob back into working out. he was wasting away when i saw him in august. hopefully hes fairly jacked again?? he was always kinda lankyish. You have any idea how many of them are coming?? We're using meet proceeds to buy some equipment, first off a safety squat bar so hopefully itll be a pretty big turn out

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

He was saying that his whole crew is planning on making the trip. Bob is rather large right now - he's looking mean

I think he mentioned in an EliteFTS article he wanted to be at 255-60 for the meet

6. GOGZILLA

whatre you weighing?? im hoping to get 1100+ for the ironman :noes:

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'm about 275 right now after the feasting that too place yesterday. I'm hoping to be 265-270 for the meet. Looking for 935+ for the ironman

1100 would be sick

8. GOGZILLA

im pretty solid on the 500lbs press i just gotta get my dl up since ive had a long time off from injury

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.