GUN so I had my first ND today....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazybenf, Dec 2, 2007.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

was at the range doing some 100 yard plinking with my .22

Friend has the same rifle as me, except he has a 8-32x vs my 3-9x, and I have a bipod. After a while he wanted to try my bipod.. since he doesn't have swivel studs, we swapped stocks.

Every other shot on his and the trigger wasn't working. We wrote it off as the triggers being different (his gun is a 1985, mine's a 1988 model)

We swap trigger assemblies and his is now fine...

When we're doing shooting, we put everything back on our own rifles. I shoot mine to make sure the trigger is ok.. same thing as when the trigger was on his gun. Every other shot doesn't shoot. I turn the gun sideways (muzzle still pointing down range) and give a few clicks... nothing. Now I angle the muzzle up some to get a look at the action.. click click BANG.

Right through the fucking roof @ the range. :eek3: Luckily it was .22LR and not a real round... someone might have noticed.

It's amazing how we sometimes forget the importance of rule #1. :hsd:

ibdeservedflames.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I bet you'll never forget that lesson :big grin:

Everytime I'm at the range I look at the all the holes in the roof and get just a little nervous.

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:werd: Then I look at the wall between the lanes, see some holes and get a little more nervous. :noes:

4. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

5. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

see what happens when you bitch out on going. :o

6. CKMustangCobra

Gotz to keep my eyez on jewz

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're lucky. If a RO saw that you'd get tresspassed with the quickness.

8. CKMustangCobra

The place we go too... the ROs are absolutely insane. If caught.... all that would've happened.... but a month later they wouldn't recognize him.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the ROs at the range I frequent are old men with nothing better to do than harass people.

A RO was eyeballing us today for taking pictures with guns that had empty magazines in their magwells and the action forward -- after having checked, double checked, triple checked, passed to the right, and checked again that they were clear of any ammo.

I was actually surprised that I didn't get yelled at for having my glock in a holster and doing draw/fire exercises.

10. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

We were yelled at today for handling firearms when they were trying to go cold.

We were on the back bench, away from the line, holding a STOCK from a rifle. the barrel + action + trigger + rest of gun was on the line. Powertrippin' RO's ftw.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If I'm down range I don't you to be holding anything that looks like a gun. Ymmv.

12. CKMustangCobra

I use my camcorder a lot there, don't seem to mind.

Shit. Draw/fire @ this range and they would probably send you away and mail you your guns in parts.... weeks apart.

It's 1 round a second (strict), no rapid, no draw, no handling any weapons of any kind in any state of ready ever on a cold.

I know the rules are all for everyone well being.... but our ROs will get on the speaker and basically call us all POS and stuff.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's no rate-of-fire rules at my range. I blew through a 30rnd mag in my AR and other than everyone else staring at me by the time I was done, nothing else was said.

14. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Our first day there, over the PA:

"WHAT THE FUCK?! LISTEN UP YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE SMOKERS: THE WORLD ISNT YOUR GOD DAMN ASH TRAY. THROW YOUR BUTTS ON THE GROUND ONE MORE TIME, AND YOU WONT BE COMING BACK."

This range is a county owned and operated range. Apparently Napoleon syndrome ex-military volunteers here, just so they can open carry.

15. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

facing away from the targets, not anywhere near the actual lanes... It was the RO just being a dick head.

I know this thread doesn't help my argument though. :o

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Same here. County-run range... Old farts volunteer to be ROs. Not a good combo.

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Thanks for sharing your story, it takes balls to post that up know what's coming from the others.

As to RO's....If you hate the way they do their work, maybe you should take the training and volunteer at your range.

18. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

My range doesn't have any range officers I know of, sure its indoors with mechanized target holders, but the only rule I've ever heard is bring your rental gun back with the mag out and the slide locked back. Owned by some retired cops, I believe, and the only time you ever see any authority on the range is when the employees come in to shoot some of the guns or the occassional cop friend practicing with an mp5 or something.

19. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

THe indoor range I go to is pretty cool. When there's nobody else there I just ask the doods if they care if I draw & fire. They always say "just be careful man." :cool:

20. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I love my local county owned shooting range. Nicest ROs you'll ever meet.

Course, it helps to follow the rules, too.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

You guys go to ranges that have RO's? I have never been to a range that was so bad that it NEEDED RO's. You guys need to find new places to shoot.

And to the guy who said "glad it wasn't a real round," a friend of mine just read a eulogy at a 14 year old boy's funeral. The boy was his friend's son. The kid and another kid were out hunting varmints or something, and somehow, the 14 y/o got shot with a .22 in the axillary area. It nicked his aorta, and managed to perforate a kidney and another organ. The kid was transported by air to a pediatric trauma center, and did not make it.

Do NOT treat any round as though it will not kill you dead. Except .25 ACP. That shit is like a paintball.

22. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Sucks about the kid dying from a .22LR.. I read a statistic somewhere saying it's responsible for more deaths than any other round.

23. hayguyz

hayguyz New Member

it is response for the most deaths

but luckily it was just a .22lr, otherwise it couldve punched through two people, killing both. just one dead, is better than two dead

24. CKMustangCobra

We go to a range in Ocala National Forest that doesn't have ROs. 99% of the time it's all good, but sometime there are dumbass 18o there that just blow through rounds for the fun of it and there isn't a cold range for like 20 mins.... no one has the nuts to walk up to the group and tell them in fear of getting accidentally shot.

25. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

sounds about like the one i go to. i was actually quite surprised the first time i went there.