A&P So I had a portfolio review with the faculty of the photo department at Ohio State...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Hua, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

And basically they hated any portraiture and anything automotive related. They said that OSU is a fine arts school, what I do is commercial oriented, and not what they are looking for. 99% of the photographers in the department are "conceptual" photographers. Such as someone standing in the middle of a marsh field half naked looking at their hand. Or someone slitting their wrists. None of them had any interest in autos, so all three of them couldn't understand my interest in them. Also, one of the faculty pointed out that he hated one of my (car) photos because I didn't have full fledged studio lighting on it.

They told me to consider transferring schools to someone that offers commercial photography training such as Ohio Institute of Photography, or something in Detroit.

I was also told that I am narrow minded for only shooting cars and portraiture/glamor. Yet they themselves won't budge from conceptual work.

:wtc:

2. joy division

joy division New Member

Post up shots?

fine art degree is worth as much as balls on a chick. Fuck them, go to a commercial school.

Don't let anyone ever hate on you or your work...if they had any real criticism take it and learn from that.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:down: Sounds stupid.

4. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

examples of your work?

5. saebryan

saebryan New Member

:ugh: extreme smug alert for the greater Ohio State area. If they weren't asshats they would know that smearing shit on a canvas could also be considered art. Don't let them discourage you from commercial shooting. There are some seriously artistic automotive shooters out there.

6. Changed

Changed Guest

7. joy division

joy division New Member

This:

"Archival Inkjet Print"

Should really say this:

"Silver Gelatin Print"

For them to be stuck up.

8. Changed

Changed Guest

oh

9. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I think most conceptual photography is pretty lame. I view photography as something that is supposed to be pleasing to the eyes in the way that music can be pleasing to your ears. I also am starting to regard photography as a communication medium (journalism). I do not however view photography as something that is thought-provoking like a poem or abstract painting. Although I think photography CAN be used in this way, I choose not to. I've always hated poetry anyway.

So fuck those fags at Ohio State. You wouldn't fit in there anyway. Most photographers these days are gear heads that like taking pretty pictures, not art fags.

I would have paid to hear you tell them something like "photography isn't fine art anyway, you need a brush, or a chisel to make fine art... you guys are the red headed stepchildren of the fine art community."

10. mojito

mojito New Member

go to Brooks or RIT :bigthumb:

11. Changed

Changed Guest

is RIT really that good a photo school? I live like 2 hours from there and have friends going there... I thought they were just all about engineering...

I started to fill out an app and now I get a fucking letter every day begging me to go there

12. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

You should create a conceptual portfolio, but different from any other. Create the images with the underlying theme of 'death of conceptual photography'. Take some conceptual shots and put them in a coffin or some other idea. It would be so ironic that they'd probably love it.

13. joy division

joy division New Member

I would strongly disagree with you there- though conceptual/fine art photography has never touched me. Neither has a landscape or macro of a flower/bee.

14. johan

johan Active Member

If they don't want you, why do you want them?

15. Hua

That's exactly the type of work the faculty at Ohio State is fond of.

That is a good idea. Maybe I'll do a series about how my work "doesn't fit" into the "fine arts" college.

16. Changed

Changed Guest

that shit isn't even photography. I could google image search for a landscape, paste 57 chairs into the scene and print it and call that shit photography. Or maybe glue a dead fly to a picture of a fly-swatter and that shit would be golden.

17. Hua

This one in particular, one of them said "I hate this picture. There is not enough detail, it's all black. You need a full studio setup." Which I agree, the bottom has lost all detail because of the shadow, you can't see separation.
    [​IMG]

Also hated this shot, because "portraiture and glamorous type shots are already so overdone, and the whole sexy girl thing..."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  18. Hua

19. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

god damn, that corvette shot is 8/10ths there. If there was just a smidge more fill on the center of the car, that would be a spec-fucking-tacular shot.

I love the color, nice job.

Oh, and fuck everything in Ohio. Move to a real state that has civilzation.

20. Changed

Changed Guest

yeah that vette shot is nice... maybe a bit of a touch up on the glamour shot :hs:

21. joy division

joy division New Member

they didnt' like that?

22. joy division

joy division New Member

edit: or is that from osu :o

23. delslow

Hua, I like the shot of the Vette. How did you do the lighting? Is it an HDR image. Looks like you dodged the area beside the car. I agree that the detail is lost on the bottom part of the car, but I think the lighting looks awesome in the rest of the photo.

24. delslow

I used to refer to Ohio as "America's Wating Room" but I recently moved out here and am actually suprised at Columbus. It's much more civilized than I thought it would be :o

25. Hua

That is from a faculty member of OSU. Her name is Ardine, associate professor. She is actually the most willing of the three to understand why I shoot what I shoot.

My actual advisor is the one who said he hated the Z06 picture. He on the other hand takes pictures of his cats, dogs, and flowers.