So I got what appears to be a Honda Cub 90 for my birthday

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deadmeat, Mar 25, 2009.

1. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Wife surprised me for my b-day. She found a non-running Honda 90 on Craigslist for $100. So she went and picked up the bike after ordering the repair manual for it from the local Honda dealer. It needs work, which is the best kind. Now I have a new hobby and need to go take the msf by the time I get it running.

Questions. It looks like a supercub minus the fairing (it's got pegs though and I don't want the fairing). It says 90 on the front horn cover. The previous owner says it's a 66, which he apparently devined by looking at the VINs of other bikes. Should I just take the VIN into the local Honda dealer? Will they help me?

Other question would be where do I get all the trick parts I see on these things on Youtube. Apparently these are popular to customize in Japan, and I think it would be fun.

Sorry it's not a Hayabusa, guys. She bought it because it looks cool and she knows I like older machines in general so I'm going to strip it down to the frame and make it nice simply because she put so much work into the gift.

Try not to flame.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

anyone who flames you is an asshole.

find a honda group online. they'll help you out way more than you'll get here because they'll all be interested.

google "honda cub forum" and start subscribing. have fun and good luck.

3. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

put a busa motor in it!jk cool deal got pics?

4. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

That was good. No pics yet. I'll put up a couple today. Been up last night ordering parts. :)

5. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Already ordered a single seat to replace the dual. If I can get it running today (needs Batt and spark plug wire at minimum) I'm going to start disassembling it tonight. I have a guy in HB that will sandblast and powdercoat the frame for about $100. Also found rear shocks that look a little like sportbike shocks for the rear, and Takegawa has a bitchin little exhaust for it but I don't know how to get it from Japan. It's going to be a fun toy, and will let me know if I am going to want to go bigger in the future.

6. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

sweet deal my buddie been working on a lil cheap older project bike like that

7. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

If the engine is shot you should be able to drop a fiddy engine in there (and you can get them up to oh... 140cc? or so, if you don't have clearance issues with the front wheel)

8. 7960

7960 New Member

it's quite possible I am about to fit my definition of an asshole :noes:

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

fix her up, do a nice oil slick black paint job, clean the chrome and that'll be :bowdown:

10. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

I'm still waiting on the coil from Thailand. :greddy: If I buy one here it'll cost more than the bike did.

I'm actually sitting here watching the top gear where they rode Vietnam. Had I known I'd have written them to pick up parts on the trip back.

11. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Going to get powdercoated black.

12. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

:rofl: DO IT!

Looking at the pics, flame away. I had never really read the posts in this subforum and had spent most of my time in offtopic where you get called a giant faggot for having a hair out of place, or buying anything smaller than a 750 or for having chicken strips. I don't see any of that in the powersports forum.

Frankly, the bike is a piece of shit and it's missing a ton of stuff. I happen to have found a twim to this one in my neighborhood that the owner is willing to barter for some computer work, so I'm probably going to have 2 by the end of April. The cool part is that I can either choose to trick one out and leave the other stock or I can redo both and sell the 67 and end up with no out of pocket. Either way it will be fun. I've already found a fuckton of parts to play with on it. Takegawa makes a rebuild kit that can push it up to 125 so both are getting a rebuild whether they need it or not.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  13. philcasi

philcasi OT Supporter

Clarkson fail!!!

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I was kidding :rofl:

Anything that gets you on two wheels. Have fun with your project. My only input........ghost flames!!! Something you have to get right up on to see

[​IMG]

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

no flaming here. Restoring old bikes is a great hobby, even the small ones.
    anyone can go blow 10-15 grand on a new bike and let the dealer do the repairs but getting down and working on it yourself adds a whole new level of appreciation to the riding experience.

16. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Looks alot like the CT series of bikes Honda made. Some parts should fit over no problem. If you're getting the single seat, a rack from one should fit on there nicely.

Me and my dad had 3 CT90s, 1 CT110, 1 CT70 and a 50 Cub. We tossed out 2 90s, the 70 and the cub after taking some parts off them to fix the 110.

17. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  18. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

lol it's the honda super cub. those are the ghetto bikes in vietnam. they're also called honda chaly aka "charlie". people here don't like to stop at intersections because when they were used to driving chalys it would stall as soon as you slowed down too much. they're real fun though. goes up to 37.5mph

i rode one like this

[​IMG]

20. nugs

nugs Yea

Any updates on your progress? I picked up a 1966 CM91 a few months ago, which is probably what you have (you can look up your serial number to verify). I rode it around for a few weeks and something happened to the clutch plates, or something. I also have a 1965 C100, 50cc, that I got for free.... both are sitting in storage now until the winter. Fun bikes for sure.

21. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Sitting in the garage until I can afford more parts.

Needs a gel battery, coil, tires, brakes, carb boiled out, registered. Then I can go ride around and get ready for the msc.