SRS So i got put on cymbalta today....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by I Brock, Feb 7, 2007.

1. I Brock

I Brock Guest

Just took the first dose, 30 mg. I'm 22 years old, male. What should i expect. I kinda don't like the idea of being on it, but I am so tired of feeling down all the time. Any feedback would be great.

2. 2500

2500 Guest

hmm, some background might be nice. cuz, the logical conclusion i draw from what your saying is that you have a low cymbalta level, right? oh wait, nope, your body doesn't contain any cymbalta, so you must be making the drug companies rich because you feel covering whatever symptoms your having is a better option than getting to the root of the problem.... you feel, shoveling money into the FDAs pockets is a nice thing to do, considering you will build a tolerance up to 30 mg, and you will need more, and once you build enough of a tolerance, the Dr will change you to the next drug. eventually, you will get tired of having side effects from drugs, you'll get fed up with missing 1 dose and feeling like a broke drug addict, you'll start getting mad that you have forgotten how to live life without drugs, and you will slowly have to start coming off them to minimize the terrible withdrawl symptoms, only to end up 5 years down the road, with the same problem, and out thousands of dollars on cover up drugs. hope my feedback helps.

3. I Brock

I Brock Guest

Yeah i know what you are saying. I've read some things online about people trying to get off this shit. Honestly i took the first dose last night and it made me feel weird the rest of the night. So weird that i just wanted to go to sleep so i could wake up and feel normal again. I haven't decided if I will continue taking it today.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

hang in there, antidepressants always take a little while to pan out.

5. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

It seems anti-depressents can be depressing to think about.

That's ironic.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Ugh, I hate the idea of cymbalta or what I consider to be heavy anti-depressants, shit even anti-pychotic. Check crazymeds.

Even though they are still "heavy", Paxil, Effexor, uhm... Zoloft... as long as you are VERY careful with dosing (don't go up and down too fast, don't drop it or take too much... NEVER take too much), you will probally feel a lot better after a couple of months.

Also look into if you are overweight. Hit the gym and diet properly if you are. That is a major factor in depression IMHO.

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Only if you think you have a problem.

I have been on them for so long now that I honestly think they are like vitamins or something. lol

I do not percieve them negatively, and actually prefer to be on them as opposed to being off them. Even though obviously it would be better to be doing great off them, I feel they allow me to achieve maximum possible potential either way.

8. I Brock

I Brock Guest

I'm just trying to get over the annoying nausea cymbalta is causing right now. I have lost my appetite which really sucks because i have been eating plenty of food and working out recently. I guess i'm just going to give it more time to see if it helps at all.

9. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

I'm on Cymblata, but I might get off of it soon just because I wasn't that depressed in the first place, just going through a rough patch. Some quick opinions I have on it:
    1. I lost like 15lbs from taking it, which is more than 10% of my body weight, so beware of that...I was a tad bit (like 5 lbs) overweight so I didn't adjust my diet, but if you are close to being underweight you might want to watch out.
    2. My Dr. told me the suggested dose is 60mg, although I'm on 30mg as well, so if you don't feel the effects you may want to go back to your Dr. and see about getting a higher dose.
    3. It's a fast acting anti-depressent, it should start working within a month unline other anti-depressents, which take longer (look up cymbalta on webmd.com for side effects and other info).
    4. My Dr. also told me that unlike Paxil it's not too hard on your body and she hasn't seen patients that get off of it and get bad withdrawl symptoms even though you should still go to your Dr. and get instructions on how to reduce your dosage to properly go off of it.
    5. Like any anti-depressent it should NOT be taken with alcohol AKA it is in your body all the time so you should NEVER drink.

I actually do drink....binge drink too and I've noticed no side effects, but everyone is different and I've had some friends that are pre-med warn me that this is bad news, but I'm an idiot and take vicoden while drinking so obviously I'm not going to listen.

10. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Spiritus, what are you on?

Mr Dr. acted like cymbalta wasn't one of the very heavy anti-depressents, but none the less, 30mg is half of the recomended dosage by the manufacturer.

11. I Brock

I Brock Guest

Thanks for the feedback Calisteph, I just recently quit drinking because it was a major factor in my depression. Right now i'm basically forcing myself to eat regular meals so I don't lose weight, I'm already pretty skinny, I have put on some good muscle the past few months, so I would really hate to lose that progress. Wish me luck.

12. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Oh yea, be super careful about weightloss then and try to sneak in high calorie stuff. I would recomend stuff like mixed nuts or naked juice to snack on because those are clean ways to sneak in some major calories.