GUN So I got pulled over yesterday...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlassUser, Dec 28, 2009.

1. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

It was for my missing front plate. It got torn off last time I went offroad and I have to buy a replacement bracket. It's the holidays, I'm short on cash, etc, etc, and no I didn't feed that excuse to the officer.

Here's where it gets fun. It was me and my friend's husband, who I barely know. We'd just taken a bunch of people to the shooting range. I had a good half dozen guns in the truck. A couple of hunting rifles, my tacticool SUB-2000, and my big dangerous looking yugo SKS with bayonet.

It was a pair of TXDPS troopers, and the one that approached looked scared shitless. It was daytime, but of course I did the normal turn on the interior lights, roll down all the windows, and keep my hands on the wheel. Highlights from the conversation:
    Trooper: Do you have any guns on you?
    Me: Yes sir, my handgun in the holster on my right hip.
    Trooper: Do you have any other guns [besides the ones in the rack] in the back?
    Me: Oh yes sir.
    Trooper: How many?
    Me: Uhhh... I don't know, maybe four or five more?
    Trooper: Any more guns up front?
    Me: I don't... THINK so.

So he got us out at opposite ends of the truck, got our stories one at a time, disarmed me, ran the serial on my handgun - we WERE driving through a bad area of town, so won't begrudge him that. Then we BSd about taking noobs shooting and my ancient marlin rifle while we waited on the other guy's ID to come back. It felt like it was going to go like that bank scene in the matrix for a minute, where they open the bags and the guards shit their pants at all the guns.

I got off with a warning for the plate.

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Awesome story

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I've heard that you are very unlikely to get a ticket JUST for not having a front plate. It's a valid reason to stop and question you, and hopefully find some other ticketable offenses during the process.

I've been stopped 3X for not having a front plate, an received 3 warnings for it. I still don't run one. :mamoru:

4. GlassUser

I've gotten a ticket for it once before, and had several warnings. You're right, it's unlikely. But it was a written warning, in the computer, so I'll probably get a ticket if TXDPS gets me for it again.

But yeah, basically they saw two white guys with a bunch of guns in a black part of town and used the excuse readily at hand. Disarming and running your handgun's serial number isn't typical TXDPS behavior either.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

how did he return your handgun to you?

6. GlassUser

Stuck it in the center console and asked us to wait till they left before we got back in.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It's always better not to give them an excuse to pull you over. It's just a hassle to wait while they run your info. My boss has this huge black F150 with tinted front windows and illegal exaust which is a no no in CA. He pays the fix it tickets takes the shit off, then puts it back on. He's got $$$ so he doesn't care. I finally talked some sense into him, as we never drive to matches in his truck. If we were to get pulled over the cops would shit themselves thinking they caught the north hollywood bank robbers version 2. After the cops finnally convinced themselves they did not make a carrer bust and let us go, we would be lucky to make it home for dinner.

So something like a front licence plate, seat belt, window tint, or illegal exaust is just not worth the hassle if you got lots of evil black guns.

8. GlassUser

I know, but it happened right before the holidays, and I've had a lack of time, money, and open stores.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

yar has a heightened sense of awareness about this sort of thing, since he's a minority. if he was driving his bosses truck with his stuff in the trunk they would probably walk up to the truck and just turn around and walk back while saying into their radios "officer down, officer down"

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah i hear you. Your OK with your reason. More for others reading this in regards to "warning" from coppers and minor fix it ticket stuff.

11. GlassUser

My vehicle didn't conform to lawful standards, I got pulled over. Fair is fair.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I don't have my CHL yet and I don't carry a gun in my vehicle so I don't mind getting stopped. When I do get my CHL I may change my mind about the front plate. Interestingly enough, I've NEVER had an officer ask me if I had a weapon on me before. Drugs I've been asked about, but not weapons. I've had a knife (actually several) on me every time I've been pulled over, but it never came up so I never mentioned it.

13. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

If i'm not mistaken when they run your plates doesn't the CHL come up? I've never been asked if I have a weapon on me.

14. GlassUser

Have you ever been pulled over with a full gun rack and a couple more guns visible on your back seat?

15. GlassUser

That's what I thought too. The truck is registered to me.

16. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

TX has a duty to inform...failure to notify the officer that you hold a CHL can result in 30 day suspension.

Luckily I haven't been pulled over in TX with mine, but in AR I got a ticket in my roommates truck, which happens to have 5% tint and camo seat covers...I think I was asked about 10 times if there were any guns in the car and about 5 more after he saw my CHL

17. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Haha I run dark tinted windows, no front plate and an aftermarket exhaust on my truck in CA and haven't ever been pulled over

18. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I need to put my front plate on. I'm nervous that I'll get nabbed driving home after having a couple beers.

19. GlassUser

Half kind of correct, half wrong. There is a duty to inform, but there is no penalty for failing to.

20. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Not yet, it's inevitable and IMO not worth it. Lol, let me pay extra money so I can get pulled over.

21. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Could have sworn the instructor in my class told me there would be a penalty. But I haven't read the law books in a while and that could be hearsay.

22. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Is there a duty to inform if you are the passenger?

23. GlassUser

No, the law was changed in 2008. There is now a nominal duty to inform, but there is no penalty for failing to inform.

24. GlassUser

By law, you're required to inform if an LEO asks you to identify yourself. Anything else is at your discretion. Basically, hand over your CHL with your DL any time you're asked for your DL and you'll be fine.

25. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

sounds like a great day of having your rights violated