A&P So I got me some goodies today...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tex, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Well, I'm a happy boy, felt in the mood to spend some money, so I got a BG-E1 battery grip for my 300D, as well as a new lens:

[​IMG]
    Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF)

All the reviews I've read about this lens have been very good, and I decided to go with it. I already have the 28-75mm f/2.8 version from the same line of lenses and it also has the same reputation for performance. So far, mine also appears very nice, bar the lens needing to be re-calibrated (I put that in the "shit happens" category, personally, it's fine since it was serviced).

We tested the 17-35 in the studio at work today, and wow, it's awesome... Very sharp at both 17 and 35mm, all the way through the aperture range. Very slightly softer at f/2.8 and f/22, as one might expect, but still excellent. The photographer was impressed. He called me later in the afternoon to tell me that he took test shots with the Canon L lens of similar spec he purchased second hand this week for AUD$1200 and he said there's almost no difference between the pics. :rofl: I paid AUD$784. Can't say I'm not happy as Larry! :wiggle:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  2. sony

sony Active Member

canon > tamron

get some L glass man! :p

3. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

4. dmora

dmora Guest

aussies!

2 of em

:eek3:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

Good shoice on the grip. It makes life som much easier. Now get the E1 handstrap, that way you cna carry the camera on your hand. It'll work with the neck strap.

Post some pics from both lenses. I wanna see the 28-75 especially, heard some decent things about it, especially since I just broke my 50mm and need something between 20 and 70 (my gap right now)

6. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

and this one just bought a dee seventee :eek3d:

7. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Ok, well myself and Kinks and another mate took some shots last night, I'm liking the battery grip, it adds a nice feel to the cam, will be even heftier once my second battery is bought and installed. :p

Some pics from last night. First two are with the 17-35, third is with the 28-75.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BONUS SHOT: Taken last weekend after a big storm, with the 28-75.

[​IMG]

8. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

I'm sure the professional photographer who tested my lens today agrees with you wholeheartedly. :rolleyes: :)

9. dmora

dmora Guest

10. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

It's probably not the best example, but it was quickest to hand, and it certainly lost some detail in the re-size. :hs: Here's a better example. Only 50% re-size this time, and I saved as a 100% jpeg instead of 80%:

[​IMG]

No, it's Dee Why actually, Northern beaches. I dunno, weather here is cold to us, dunno what Texas is like in Winter though. It can be rainy, or it can be really dry. This Winter has been very dry overall, though we've had a bit of rain in the past couple of weeks.

Personally, Spring is my fave season 'round these parts..

11. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

You're going to be so unprepared for how many great beaches we have here if you ever make it out :mamoru:

(bondi is the most-pimped beach in terms of our tourism industry but that's just because it's the one we send all the english backpackers to, we wouldn't want to spoil all of our beaches :big grin:)

12. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Motherfuckin' :werd:

13. dmora

dmora Guest

AWESOME Pic. :cool:
    Cold in TX can be freezing. :dunno: Fall is usually sweaters or coats and jeans.

i liked it, lots of naked bewbies. :cool:
    I went to Manly too, it was kinda quiet there tho.

14. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Great shots. Are you shooting with Auto W/B or did you have it on another setting?

I need to get that grip but will wait until I get a couple lenses I want. I finally picked up a 420ex speedlite so I can't wait to play with it and some gels during some long exposures :)

15. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

I did use AWB, but for the shot of that padlock and chain link fence the orange lights around the building added a colour cast to the shots I didn't like so much, so the padlock shot was auto levelled in PS. The other shots are AWB, no post-processing done at all.

I wasn't really sure what white balance to use, really, so I stuck with auto. I suppose I should have a muck around and see for myself next time I'm out, but is there a preferred setting to use for night shots? :dunno: I know the 300D AWB setting has a reputation for not always getting it right under some conditions...

Nice. :) A flashgun is my next thing on the list, I'll be going for the 500EX though, and then (much) later, if I want to muck around with some quasi-studio stuff, some 420EXs as slave units...

16. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

When I do night shots I just put the wb setting to the lightbulb or tungusten bulb. Sometimes it doesn't turn out all too good because it turns things blue but when there is as much amber light as in your shots, it might make the shot that much better.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/7624859/ here's one of downtown Tampa I took with the setting on tungusten. If you shoot in raw you can play with the settings later on with the software that came with your 300D. Also, just start playing around with the various wb settings and try and get your own. We are limited as to what we can do with wb on the 300d but it has been more than fine for my uses.

17. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

BTW, if you haven't downloaded the hack firmware yet you should...especially before you get the 550ex

18. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

To be honest, I'm not really interested in shooting in RAW for anything except shots that are extremely long exposures and that I wouldn't want to have to repeat (star fields or similar). I'm yet to play with it but I don't want to have to spend too much time fiddling, and I'd like to get to a point where more often than not, the pics come out how I want them to without manipulation...

As for the hacked firmware, I'm not using it yet, but I will soon. The 500EX flash has FEC etc. built in though, so it's not entirely necessary. There are definitely some good features it enables that would be nice though.

That Tampa shot looks nice, I like the colours...

19. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

You might want to look at the Sigma 500 DG Super as well.

It's got all the features of the 550EX, but it's much cheaper. I've got both and I like the master/slave switch on the 550, but the battery door is flimsy. The 500 has a nylon case, the 550 has leather. Hmmmmm, not sure what else is different, but they're both great flashes.

Edit: The manual sucks ass for the 500, the 550 is much better. Build wise, the 550 seems more "hefty", but that's not saying the 500 build is poor. Both can trigger each other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  20. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Cool, thanks for the tip! :bigthumb:

21. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I like the lighting on the buildings below the bridge. Quite nice that. Looks almost surreal.