So I got a nice shine off of this Maaco paint :o

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by WS6Formula350, Nov 5, 2005.

1. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

My new beater/daily driver. Went a little nuts on it I guess :hsugh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

most interesting features are where the Maaco dumbasses GLUED THE BADGES BACK ON WITH SUPER GLUE. it was my sisters car at the time, i pointed this (and the fisheyes all over the paint) out to the manager and his only reply was "He's (the paint guy) been doing this for twenty five years." :ugh: I wonder how many he was sober for :o

I still have very light swiriling only visible from certain angles in the paint... I topped the claybar and the #80 off with the #16 paste wax, would using some NXT or some #23 get rid of the last of the swirling? My buddies dad uses nothing but #7 glaze and #23 wax on his Z3 and I've never seen a single swirl mark in his paint AT ALL. It's rediculous. :hsd:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#23? Never heard of it.

The manager of the Maaco is a real fuckstick apparently. Obviously has no clue.

Did you polish by hand or machine? If by hand, #80 and a PC will probably get you the results you want. #7 or NXT both have some light filling properties so they don't really remove swirls, just hide them.

3. WS6Formula350

I worked it by hand, don't have a buffer. I'm kinda scared of using one :eek3: The #23 is the Hi-tech Yellow Wax, another liquid product.

I'm not really sure what you mean by a PC though-- polishing compound? Or is it a different kind of applicator?

4. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

That's par for the course with Maaco. I'm surprised they haven't been sued out of business yet.

If you don't mind my asking...what did the paint job cost? Is it urethane or enamel? Clearcoated? Did they strip the old paint? What other quality problems did you have? I get customers wanting to take their cars to Maaco because of their advertising, and have to beg them not to.

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

You mean #26 then ;)

PC = Porter Cable (7424 or 7336) buffer.

6. WS6Formula350

It was done almost a year ago now I think... it's hard to remeber seeing as it used to be my sister's car. Biggest things:

1) They DIDN'T REMOVE THE GODDAMN SPOILER. There is UNFINISHED overspray underneath the spoiler. Holy omgwtfbbqBatman. When I pointed THIS out, apparently it's "extra" to take off 3 bolts from under the trunk lid and do it right :hsugh:

2) They reapplied the badging with SUPERGLUE.

3) Fisheye and some visible swilring in the hood right out of the shop. Which I pointed out. And got the "He's been doing this for 25 years." Right.

4) Drivers side door has an interesting pattern on it-- it looks like as the paint was wet, somebody leaned into it and their clothes left a pattern in the paint :rofl:

Those were the major things :dunno: I think they paid $650 for it. There's some manner of clear coat on it and I don't know what kind of paint it is. They obviously didn't do a whole hell of a lot of prep work because there are things UNDERNEATH the new paint (one of them on the spoiler looks like a squashed bug :hsugh: ) so... :ugh2: :o

7. Scottwax

Don't be scared of the PC, the only way you can mess up your car with one is to drop it on the car or catch some grit under the pad (which you can do by hand too).

8. WS6Formula350

Hmm. Maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas.

Even with the cutting pad you can't take off TOO much paint by accident? The oxidation on my Firebird is retarded, but that's a Maaco job too, I'd be afraid to use the cutting pad on the roof to get back to the shiny paint because... there might not be anything left underneath :hsugh:

9. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Nope, with a PC you will be fine ;)

10. Scottwax

Even with a rotary, provided you use it properly, any paint removal will be very minimal. Joe of Superior Shine used a paint thickness guage after using Meguiars DACP and a wool pad to remove wetsanding marks and it showed no reduction in paint thickness.