so I got a 2nd gen ipod touch, 16gb

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Dec 28, 2008.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

...and I was wondering if anyone can convince me not to sell this peice of crap...

1. I put itunes on my gf's laptop to test it out while we were at families for the holidays, when I got home and put it on my computer I had to wipe the entire damn thing because I was using it on a different computer, thats awesome thanks apple can only use on one computer or am I missing something?

2. None of my files will go on it. My music is mostly in FLAC format, and my videos are mostly AVI/MPG/WMV. I have 4000+ video files and 10k+ audio files and after waiting the hour something it took itunes to add them all to its library I found out that 13, literally 13, of my 15,000 something files could be transfered to the iPod, the rest require lengthy conversion which, surprise surprise, cannot be done from within that software. They FORCE you to use itunes but then don't support converting incompatable files, nice. So, I downloaded several conversion utilities and learned it would take over an hour for each of my video files, so, if I wanted to put the entire simpsons series on it it would take the better part of a year to convert them :ugh2:

3. I was lucky enough to get the second gen version which of course has no compatable alternatives for itunes, so I am stuck with that piece of shit. In addition, there is apparently no way to jailbreak this yet so I cannot even use SSH transfers or anything like that. That also means I am stuck with the crap in the app store, which for the most part is terrible stupid shit that anyone over age 5 would get tired of after 10 minutes. So no homebrew, no way to get my media on it, and being forced to use shitty software, amazing.

Don't get me wrong, it is a pretty impressive piece of hardware, and correctly hacked to support all normal media formats and to support drag and drop file transfer would be a kickass little device, but I see no advantages of this over, say, an Archos Jukebox, which offers 30gb-320gb, support for all typical media files, a larger/higher res screen, and WiFi/3G (cellphone) access for true internet anywhere.

2. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I'll take that as "I can't help you, it's the way it is."

My original Diamond Rio 500 was more capable than this thing, at least I could get my files on that.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

1) In iTunes, turn off auto-sync. Just use manual update, it's one of the settings on the iPod page in iTunes when your iPod is connected. Should fix that problem.

2) I don't know if Rockbox (custom firmware) is supposed on the iTouch. If not, you're fucked. Rockbox for older iPods (like the old 'Classic' line, or originals), I'm pretty sure, suppots flac and other music formats

3) I got the 2G touch as well... It sucks about not being able to jailbreak, but hopefully dev team released a way to do it eventually.

I only got the 8GB so I don't feel as ripped off... it's a fun toy though, but it's just a toy, really. If you want a serious music player, don't get an iPod.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

got tired of trolling about osx?
    moving on to ipods now? at least come up with something new, everything you've said isn't anything new...

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It was a gift.

I just don't understand why someone would get this over an Archos?

And yeah bowrofl, I figured out the "Manage files myself" option, which makes it a little less painfull, and I looked into rockbox it does not work with the 2g

7. assclown

assclown Active Member

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Okay, how about this, I can view youtube videos or break.com videos or whatever there are thousands of sites like those, anyone know how to download those videos to the ipod? Because that alone would convince me to keep this.

I mean I love this thing in the cozy confines of my wifi signal, but as soon as I take it anywhere without wifi it is basically worthless

*edit* I mean in safari, while using the ipod. Not from my computer I know how to do that it again involves a 30 minute to 1 hour conversion which I am not doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

So, no one can tell me why anyone buys this over the dozens of competing products that do not have these artificial limitations?

11. Pitt

more of an "I could help you, but it's you, so I don't really give a fuck."

12. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol really? because I posed these exact same problems and concerns at the ipod touch fans forum and after 3 pages everyone came to the conclusion that every problem I have is valid and currently unable to be alleviated.

Sounds like you're full of shit :rofl:

13. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Just get rid of it and get something else, you obviously hate Apple. You're not going to be happy with it no matter what.

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

No I'm far beyond that, like I said I don't hate it, I just hate the artificial restrictions imposed on it. I am going to use it at home or wherever I have wifi as portable internet instead of my laptop. Its got some nice games too so Ill carry it around and play those when I am bored instead of my DS, since I already bought 50 bucks worth of games from the app store.

It's just impossible to use it as a media player...

15. zipzooka

zipzooka sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a

So, you came here to ask questions after a three-page topic at a forum that specializes in the device you're having issues with?

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

are you getting that hint that no one wants to help you for a reason?
    it's the same shit over and over...

either get a different product or just accept it for what it is... your posts have brought nothing that hasn't been discussed before... you're late to the party and the same jokes aren't funny...

17. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

apple limits the formats you put on the ipod so that they can sell more music from their store. Apple lossless is the only high quality source that will play on it. flac is an open source format and so only open source media players accept it.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

shut up, codex. you suck. you shouldn't have bought an iPod if you wanted it to do everything an iPod can't. that means you're an idiot. lrn2research dumbass.

19. Pitt

ibOhTehIroning

20. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

dumbass :rofl:

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. i may ask stupid questions, but i generally don't troll.

22. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lrn2read faggot it was a gift :ugh:

23. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

and you don't read either :rofl:

24. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. you got me there. i thought i read that he got it for his GF for some reason. oh well. not a fan of codex and hate his trolling. jumped on it too quickly for my own good.

25. CodeX

CodeX Guest

*update* Orb... is pretty cool. At least when I am home now I have access to my nearly 1tb collection of videos. I am still not happy with the aspects of the thing I mentioned earlier but that is apples fault. Thank god other developers stepped up and made utilities to make this thing useful